The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic

… unserious seems harsh.
    I quoted it from the OP's first post:

'We pianists also are told to avoid lead sheets with more than 2 chords per bar, as it's seen as unserious.'

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I quoted it from the OP's first post:

'We pianists also are told to avoid lead sheets with more than 2 chords per bar, as it's seen as unserious.'
    Yeah I know, I was agreeing with you.

I just also have had some situations where they can be unserious. A big one is playing jazz ensemble arrangements where they notate every chord symbol rather than outlining the harmony. Which I’m pretty sure comes from copying from the sax voicings. And that’s lazy arranging (most of the time, though per rp’s not all time.)

But per your post, I agree. For sure, there are lots of ways the harmonic rhythm can be pretty quick, first among them tunes that are really written that way. Certainly some American songbook tunes, but loads of jazz standards too.

User Info Menu

I was just watching Davy Mooney's take on Rhythm Changes. He's got a lot to say about quick changes, even if they are two to a bar.

User Info Menu

that’s a good RC lesson there

but ….

there’s a rule
    never teach on a guitar without
    fretboard markers ….

(well it should be a rule)

User Info Menu

Strange, I never noticed. I watched the fingers and frets but didn't think about dots. There might be some on the side of the neck.

User Info Menu

Video viewers can't see dots on the side of the neck. Some teachers, Jimmy Bruno for instance, insist on having markers on the fretboard, so students can see them, and tell where the notes are fretted.