Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

I was excited because I thought this was a new thread

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nipsnertz
    Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am learning Blue Bossa. In measure 6 the melody note is a Bb over a G7 chord? To my ear, it seems like the melody note should be a "B" (MAJ 3rd of the G7). Can someone explain? In the harmonic context of the song the G7 does not seem like it is a diminished harmony. and even if the song implied a Galt harmony, it seems pretty dissonant to have a minor 3rd played with a MAJ 3rd?
    The use of the b3 (or #9) against a dominant chord is common. It is more dissonant than the natural 3rd in that situation. You have your taste and the composer had his, so you may or may not like it - which is often an issue with jazz. That said, it would probably be worth listening to it repeatedly to get that sound in your ears, simply because it's commonplace in jazz.

Harmonically, I'd say it's a iim7b5, V7(something), im - in Cm. You can try subbing in various versions of the dominant and see what you like. If you like 7b9 you might solo with HW diminished scale. If you like 7#9b13, you might like alt. Or you can ignore all of this and play bluesy sounding stuff in Cm.

User Info Menu

Someone point him at all the other threads about Blue Bossa. I'm sure the answer's in there somewhere!

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/sear...archid=2638854