The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From Richard Williams' review of Henry Threadgill's memoir, Easily Slip into Another World:

His theory of intervallic harmony was developed for Zooid in the mid-'90s during a stay in Goa, reading about "maths and physics and astronomy and warfare, studying philosophical treatises, reading books about various musical systems." It resembles George Russell's Lydian chromatic concept or Ornette Coleman's harmolodic theory in that it clearly takes a lot of preparation for his musicians to become conversant with the new language, and —although there are several pages of explanation — it's impervious to casual comprehension. But you'll probably know it when you hear it.

Who could ask for anything more? Other than:

His description of a gig with Cecil Taylor is both hilarious and enlightening: “I was completely befuddled. I was standing there wondering why what we were playing didn’t sound like the piece I remembered rehearsing.”

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Henry Threadgill is a very interesting composer/improvisor.
    Taking this as a reminder to do some research about his life and work.
    Here's 2 resources I just found to read later.

Henry Threadgill thesis by drummer Chad Taylor

https://rucore.libraries.rutgers.edu...13/PDF/1/play/

Ethan Iverson interview

Interview with Henry Threadgill (Part 1) | DO THE M@TH

User Info Menu

the Iverson interview has the dynamic of "off the page"

long ago I read an interview with Marshall McLuhan .. in it he destroyed concepts and boundaries of conventional norms

I sensed an open space in my thinking as all notions of form dissolved and their absence was not missed..I didnt need them to be "me"

and again another person dissolves musical constants..meter..bars..major/minor forms and rules

and for me it is music .. as valid and pure as a post civil war blues played on a pawn shop banjo

User Info Menu

I like him, he's okay.

User Info Menu

I took a look at his new bio in the library, and put it back after reading a few pages.