The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Did Jimi use any musical theory in playing the guitar?
    jimi Hendrix-Genius-hendrix-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Who knowes - from the man himself. Sorry, I could not help myself in this one.

To be honest, I dont know. But the man was such a great talent and WAY ahead of his time...

User Info Menu

Story goes Miles was talking to Hendrix about the diminished scale. Jimi says "Miles, I don't know, the diminished scale"...Miles answers (scratchy voice) " Don't worry, I'll show you"...believe it's from the autobiography.

User Info Menu

Well, he sure knows his pentatonic scale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco1
    Story goes Miles was talking to Hendrix about the diminished scale. Jimi says "Miles, I don't know, the diminished scale"...Miles answers (scratchy voice) " Don't worry, I'll show you"...believe it's from the autobiography.
    Yes I know it.
    Miles also says something about rock musicians.He's rather negative.
    Still, Miles really liked Jimi's guitar playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Well, he sure knows his pentatonic scale.
    He played great but did he know that this scale is called the pentatonic.
    I do not know.

User Info Menu

Before he was Jimi Hendrix, he was a hired gun who did pickup gigs and studio work. You don't get that good without having names for sounds. It's just how it goes. He might not have known the diminished scale, but how often did that come up on Chitlin Circuit gigs? I'll say just about never, or else Hendrix would have known it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    He played great but did he know that this scale is called the pentatonic.
    I do not know.
    It's the only scale he knew, but what he did with it is still way cooler than what anyone else ever has.

User Info Menu

Well to be fair, he knew the major AND minor pentatonic inside out.

He also really knew the fretboard well, and knew how to play chords in many different positions. He was a unique and ground-breaking rhythm player.

Whether or not he had names for it, the guy at some point in his life clearly lived and breathed the guitar, and he knew his instrument well.

User Info Menu

He knew some cool chords, as a teenager I learned to play 9ths, 13ths and the ‘Hendrix chord’ (7#9, though I didn’t know it was called that at the time) by listening to his records, long before I got into jazz.

He was a great blues player, he really spoke that language naturally.

Also he could play those really inventive soul/gospel/R&B-type rhythmic chordal textures (e.g. Little Wing intro).

When I got my first electric guitar, I used to spend hours trying to figure out his stuff from the records (no internet or tabz then!).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well to be fair, he knew the major AND minor pentatonic inside out.

He also really knew the fretboard well, and knew how to play chords in many different positions. He was a unique and ground-breaking rhythm player.

Whether or not he had names for it, the guy at some point in his life clearly lived and breathed the guitar, and he knew his instrument well.
    He liked his guitar so much he wanted to eat it.
    playing with teeth is a legend...?

User Info Menu

Miles was surprised to find out that Jimi didn't read sheet music.

User Info Menu

I can't believe some people judge a guitar genius by what scales he knows...

User Info Menu

Hendrix was my biggest influence in high school before I got into jazz. He was an amazing player that could really make the guitar sing. I doubt he knew the technical names for what he did, but who knows.

User Info Menu

His pedals weren’t true bypass. Imagine what he could have achieved with a modern boutique pedal board!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I can't believe some people judge a guitar genius by what scales he knows...
    This is not a genius rating.
    This is a surprise-I know all the scales and I will never play like a genius.

User Info Menu

His single line playing had a lot more going on than just pentatonics, and his harmonic palette was pretty big too. Plus his comping was highly contrapuntal (while singing). Sometimes it seems like people talk about Hendrix without having listened to him. He was not formally trained, but he was obviously a very sophisticated musician. Given that he spent time on the chitlin circuit and in army dance bands, I suspect he had more going on in terms of names-of-musical-things than he let on, but we'll never know. I wouldn't credit Miles as an entirely reliable reporter of fact on the subject, given how little time he actually spent with Hendrix. Bottom line, his recordings are the best evidence of his abilities, and the recordings (at least the three real albums he completed in his lifetime) are extraordinary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    His pedals weren’t true bypass. Imagine what he could have achieved with a modern boutique pedal board!
    Modern Jimi would be in his bedroom playing blip blips on his new Super Duper Glitch Pedal Deluxe and checking for Likes on his YT channel. Luckily, the old Jimi had bills to pay and hit the road.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I like his guitar playing in "unison" with his voice.
    Very characteristic sound.
    ...real singing while playing...

User Info Menu

say what we will..his influence on many musicians of all styles is real..

some of his melodic solo work (wind cries mary..hey joe) to me, is beyond a label

his use of chords opened rock guitarists (and others) to another harmonic world

did he understand some theory..of course he did..he played with many seasoned musicians of all stripes and some of their knowledge was assimilated by Hendrix

and remember he was on top for only 3-4 years

we can only guess where he would be today....would he have grown musically? would he have ventured into "jazz-fusion" ?

well..just remember..he also played the kazoo on one of his songs

User Info Menu

He learned fast...
    I got a record in 1974 he recorded in 1966 called "Roots of Hendrix", which was horrible, didn't sound like he knew how to play yet. It was one of those where a couple of songs are recorded two or three times, only the last song on the album was done with a fuzz effect. For those that know his later work it is interesting to "hear through" the mess and recognize some hints of the origins of what would come in a few years.
    The first Hendrix I heard as a youth was Band of Gypsies, which is still one of my favorites. Very hard to understand (but inspiring) the transformation over just a few years from what sounded like crap to sounding like an absolute master magician on the instrument...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris;[URL="tel:1259382"
    1259382[/URL]]I like his guitar playing in "unison" with his voice.
    Very characteristic sound.
    ...real singing while playing...
    I hear my train-a-coming !
    ——————————-
    anyone here like Pali Gap ?
    I love that ….

User Info Menu

I have observed that many people know about as much theory as is needed to execute the job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    He learned fast...
    I got a record in 1974 he recorded in 1966 called "Roots of Hendrix", which was horrible, didn't sound like he knew how to play yet. It was one of those where a couple of songs are recorded two or three times, only the last song on the album was done with a fuzz effect. For those that know his later work it is interesting to "hear through" the mess and recognize some hints of the origins of what would come in a few years.
    The first Hendrix I heard as a youth was Band of Gypsies, which is still one of my favorites. Very hard to understand (but inspiring) the transformation over just a few years from what sounded like crap to sounding like an absolute master magician on the instrument...
    That's not a really a Hendrix album. It's a demo he played on as a sideman and is just a bunch of loose noodling. There are interviews with people who saw him live in that
    pre-Experience NY period who say that he had the whole package together by then. There are some other sideman recordings from around that time (e.g., Isley Brothers "Testify"). But SFAIK, there are no recordings of him as a solo act from that time. But the Are You Experienced? sessions started in the fall of '66, so this is a hint of what he would do only months (not years) later.

User Info Menu

If you have a name for what ever you play, and you know when you can use it, and when not … that is theory. Through a lot of playing, those sounds will live in a groups related to each other. That is theory. When x happens, I can use my y things. That is theory. Music by its’ very nature creates coherency. Formal theory just makes life a little easier, and allows for the quick placements of new ideas. There are strengths and weakness to every thing.