The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 135 of 135

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if I'm restating something that already been made clear in a previous post but the V7/IImi chord has a wobbly association with the 9th.

In tunes like "Pennies from Heaven" and "I can't give you anything but Love", the last 8 bars of both these ABAC songs use the formulaic chord progression beginning with the IVma and ending on the Ima. Along that trail we have the V7/IImi resolving to the IImi.

In both these example the melody states the 9th on the 7th chord. (To be fair, Pennies sometimes uses the bIIIº chord instead of the V7/IImi).

Sometime during the 40's (thanks to players like Bird and Dizzy), the b9 became a more common alteration on this chord.

I find myself playing the 9th if I want to sound more swing/Django and the b9 if I'm playing more bop lines.

Scale wise, thinking of this 7th chord as the 5th mode of the melodic minor scale gives it a 9b13 sound.(or 9#5)

Again, my apologies if I'm stating the obvious here. I haven't read this whole thread.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe
    I'm not sure if I'm restating something that already been made clear in a previous post but the V7/IImi chord has a wobbly association with the 9th.

In tunes like "Pennies from Heaven" and "I can't give you anything but Love", the last 8 bars of both these ABAC songs use the formulaic chord progression beginning with the IVma and ending on the Ima. Along that trail we have the V7/IImi resolving to the IImi.

In both these example the melody states the 9th on the 7th chord. (To be fair, Pennies sometimes uses the bIIIº chord instead of the V7/IImi).

Sometime during the 40's (thanks to players like Bird and Dizzy), the b9 became a more common alteration on this chord.

I find myself playing the 9th if I want to sound more swing/Django and the b9 if I'm playing more bop lines.

Scale wise, thinking of this 7th chord as the 5th mode of the melodic minor scale gives it a 9b13 sound.(or 9#5)
    again, my apologies if I'm stating the obvious here. I haven't read this whole thread.
    Thanks for your valuable information, but not reading at least the original post is really a problem in this forum because (not the case with your answer here as it fits well into the things discussed here) many, many times it makes a serious discussion impossible. I am a nit-picking smart-ass as well but I have the impression that for many the mere act of adding their two cents to the story is more important than the actual two cents and the story ...

In some cases straying away from the original topic brings up interesting things but too often the discussion gets stuck in trench warfare between different schools of thought regarding jazz theory.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Thanks for your valuable information, but not reading at least the original post is really a problem in this forum because (not the case with your answer here as it fits well into the things discussed here) many, many times it makes a serious discussion impossible. I am a nit-picking smart-ass as well but I have the impression that for many the mere act of adding their two cents to the story is more important than the actual two cents and the story ...

In some cases straying away from the original topic brings up interesting things but too often the discussion gets stuck in trench warfare between different schools of thought regarding jazz theory.
    Understood, but at 127 posts and counting, I’m not up for reading everything in this thread. As I said, if my post is redundant or off topic, feel free to ignore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe
    Understood, but at 127 posts and counting, I’m not up for reading everything in this thread. As I said, if my post is redundant or off topic, feel free to ignore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    For example, your post was quite similar to what I said in a couple of mine - no idea if you read it - but I don’t think that sort of thing is a problem at all. In fact I think it might clarify for someone to read the same basic point made independently and in different words. I don’t think it’s unnecessary duplication.

I think it’s reasonable to have better things to do than wade through pages of verbiage. Listening to and playing music for example haha .
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 07-16-2023 at 05:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Another viewpoint for the Dm. Let's look at four minor possibilities -- every combination of b6 6 b7 7. Aka, dorian, melodic, harmonic and natural minor.

To my ear, the Bb note doesn't work that well. The A7b9 with the Bb in the melody wants that Bb to move to A. That rules out (well, nothing is really ruled out if you can construct a good enough line) harmonic minor and natural minor. Although, I can sort of hear harmonic minor as okay..

The next choice is C vs C#. I like C#.

That is, I like the B and the C#, which is D melodic minor. I also like moving the D down in halfsteps to make minmaj m7 m6.
    Yes I tend do all of that stuff. I would end up on a m6 chord by bar 8.

Also, the minor chord with nothing added to it is sometimes the best sound. I know jazzers feel playing anything that simple is against their religion but actually sometimes that’s the right choice

One interesting thing is that using Levine's rule about every melodic minor chord being the same chord doesn't seem to work quite so well in a situation like this where the harmony calls for a minor tonic type sound.
    I think it just depends. This is a tune I tend to play on gypsy jazz and trad gigs so I associate it with that realm. In that setting I tend to stick to simple tonic sounds, major, minor, maybe 6th. But that’s not the way it has to be done?

This is the way Bird plays that chord as well - m6 or just plain minor triad (with enclosures etc) in that vid. Otw his material on tonic chords tends to stick to triad and 6th chord.

I need to look at the Tristano head on it at some point…

The other voicings tend sound more dominant to me -- that is, they could preceed the resultion to the Dminor tonic sound, e.g. C#7#9 to Dm6 or Dminmaj7. That may have been what Reg was driving at the other day.
    C#7 to Dm would sound nice as a weak side sub.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 07-16-2023 at 03:53 AM.

User Info Menu

for some auxiliary content

it's fun when you have someone else in the band sing some of the alt lyrics over the original lyrics

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bediles

for some auxiliary content

it's fun when you have someone else in the band sing some of the alt lyrics over the original lyrics
    What solo did he use?

User Info Menu

What solo did he use?
    is a solo needed here?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    is a solo needed here?
    King Pleasure was one of the first representants of "vocalese" -- writing lyrics to the notes of a solo recorded by a jazz instrumentalist. I am asking if anyone knows what solo was the basis for his recording of "All Of Me".

User Info Menu

What solo did he use?

Ohh, I don't know.

Sounds swinging. Lester young? One of the swing bands?