Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 56 of 56

User Info Menu

My favorite bach for sightreading is barry galbraith's transcriptions of the two part inventions:

https://www.amazon.com/Barry-Galbrai.../dp/1562240412

it has way more in common with jazz guitar than CG arrangements of same, which are a lot of times gonna stay in a lower position, etc.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Take a look at David Oakes “Music Reading for Guitar The Complete Method”. It has graded studies and explains how to navigate a score. Best is that unlike classical guitar, it starts you out reading at the fifth fret.

I highly recommend it for the beginner.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    Graded material for big band guitar? Hmmm.

What do high school jazz band leaders utilize? Not that it would be "graded" as such, but should be less challenging then college charts.

For that matter, where does one get the college charts?

The band directors know where to get that stuff, but I don't.
    Publishers actually assign a difficulty level to the arrangements in their catalogs from very easy to advanced, and everything in between. Online catalogs usually have a sample of the score, plus an audio sample to listen to.

Basie-Straight Ahead by Sammy Nestico| J.W. Pepper Sheet Music

User Info Menu

Nice, thanks cosmic!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickB View Post
    Take a look at David Oakes “Music Reading for Guitar The Complete Method”. It has graded studies and explains how to navigate a score. Best is that unlike classical guitar, it starts you out reading at the fifth fret.

I highly recommend it for the beginner.
    I will Patrick, might be great for students

User Info Menu

I've had this book for awhile and use it occasionally for ideas.

I second Christian's suggestion about studying rhythm.

Why Learn Standard Notation?-515iggqiikl-_sy346_-jpg
    "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates
    “Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.” - Alan Wilson Watts