The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

I confess

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The' Lattice ' - that's cool but it is basic Harmony from the 18th, 19th Centuries ...common practice period.. ( also might be the crystalline structure of Beryllium- not sure ).

To go into 20th and 21st Century we need to go much further...

The 21st Century Harmony stuff isn't in the books yet ...

You don't need it for 'Standards'...

User Info Menu

Beryllium? You are SUCH a nerd.

I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    The' Lattice ' - that's cool but it is basic Harmony from the 18th, 19th Centuries ...common practice period.. ( also might be the crystalline structure of Beryllium- not sure ).

To go into 20th and 21st Century we need to go much further...

The 21st Century Harmony stuff isn't in the books yet ...

You don't need it for 'Standards'...
    That may be true for the lattice, but the harmonic wheel goes further; it's been enhanced and updated for finding and relating harmonic and melodic minor, Coltrane changes, altered chords, pivot chords for modulation... it keeps up pretty well.

But yeah, still no Barry Harris sixth diminished, no Joe Satriani pitch axis, and no free jazz (just kidding).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    That may be true for the lattice, but the harmonic wheel goes further; it's been enhanced and updated for finding and relating harmonic and melodic minor, Coltrane changes, altered chords, pivot chords for modulation... it keeps up pretty well.

But yeah, still no Barry Harris sixth diminished, no Joe Satriani pitch axis, and no free jazz (just kidding).
    All stuff from the mid 20th century you mean :-)

User Info Menu

To be honest I think you don’t really need a wheel or a lattice to represent 21st century harmony. Four chords going around and around would do it.