The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Sometimes the class has only Eb or Bb sheets and I have to read off horn charts.

Is this common? Our nonprofit community jazz band doesn't always have funds to get all music written three ways. How long did it take to get used to transposing?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ugh, what do they give the piano player?

Transposing isn't terrible, but jeez...

User Info Menu

Someone needs to invent a brain capo...

User Info Menu

Throw a sheet music fundraiser. That's sad.

User Info Menu

Is this common? Our nonprofit community jazz band doesn't always have funds to get all music written three ways. How long did it take to get used to transposing?
    I guess skills to read from the charts of transposing instruments in big bands or brass bands is necessary evil)))

In the army band I had to play trombone from alto or tenor parts many times... as well as sax players had to read parts in C sometimes...

But army is the arme you know...
    ...in non-profit community band you can at least ask for a pencil, blank sheet paper and 10-15 minutes to transpose it on paper...

User Info Menu

Darn usually it's the other way around and I inflict my concert charts on sax players. Bear in mind it's the work of a minute to transpose the file in Sibelius and print....

There are some hacks for reading notation in horn keys... Chords? Well you just have to get good at functional relationships. Assuming the tune is functional, of course.

User Info Menu

There are some hacks for reading notation in horn keys... Chords? Well you just have to get good at functional relationships. Assuming the tune is functional, of course.
    I had tricks also...

When I play from Bb chart I played as if it's tenor clef (I could read more or less fluently by the moment)

When I played from Eb chart I read it as bass clef (octave higher)...

But in both cases you should consider altered notes that are not written at the clef in Bb and Eb charts

User Info Menu

Funny I just bought this today for some transposition practice. Also it's great for sight reading practice just reading as though it's in concert. As it all sits very nicely in the guitar register.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar

Funny I just bought this today for some transposition practice. Also it's great for sight reading practice just reading as though it's in concert. As it all sits very nicely in the guitar register.
    Real Books are
    fun in Bb and Eb, too. I don't use them for transposing practice, I just like having my favorite tunes in new keys.

User Info Menu

Getting experience transposing notes and chord symbol is valuable skill if you plan on working with singers. There's money in getting good at backing singers for gigs or even just rehearsing them and helping them find their key.

Also be grateful you're not a horn player. I've been hanging with horn players a lot lately and it never hit me, they hear in concert pitch and have to transpose to their instrument key. Worse sax player flipping back and forth between alto and tenor both different keys. Then when they talk to us rhythm section guys they have to transpose to concert. My head is spinning just talking about it.
    Last edited by docbop; 04-07-2017 at 06:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Getting experience transposing notes and chord symbol is valuable skill if you plan on working with singers. There's money in getting good at backing singers for gigs or even just rehearsing them and helping them find their key.
    The most tricky transposing I had was comping for baroque singer on baroque guitar where I had the part in the lute tablature in the key that did not fit the singer)))
    You kind of do double transfer: first tab signe to notes then transposing the notes - of course you do it more or less mechanically... but still it is terrible tension...
    Luckily the part was not too complex...

I love how deep theory can get. Look at how Beethoven pulled off a lot of great work w/o having to hear it.

My my college roommate would write parts for the whole orchestra and heard it perfectly as he just wrote it. He didn't actually hear it in its entirety until it was played in front of hundreds. He had a secure knowledge in how it would all come together and how each instrument would sound with the parts he assigned everybody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 335dotfan
    I love how deep theory can get. Look at how Beethoven pulled off a lot of great work w/o having to hear it.

My my college roommate would write parts for the whole orchestra and heard it perfectly as he just wrote it. He didn't actually hear it in its entirety until it was played in front of hundreds. He had a secure knowledge in how it would all come together and how each instrument would sound with the parts he assigned everybody.
    That's not theory, that's audiation.

User Info Menu

That's not theory, that's audiation.
    that comes mostly from culture. and only partly from [rofessional esperience and learning alphabet

User Info Menu

My approach to reading an Eb chart with a lot of notes would be to fake equipment failure and try to look really upset that I don't have an opportunity to play the chart.

Then, I'd identify whoever put that chart on my stand and avoid him in the future.

User Info Menu

My approach to reading an Eb chart with a lot of notes would be to fake equipment failure and try to look really upset that I don't have an opportunity to play the chart.

Then, I'd identify whoever put that chart on my stand and avoid him in the future.
    well... if you can afford it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 335dotfan
    Sometimes the class has only Eb or Bb sheets and I have to read off horn charts.

Learning to transpose is a great skill … however, I've NEVER heard of purchasing arrangements without a "C" part! As someone asked, what do the piano and bass players use, and how about the score used by the director???? And who sells this stuff?? What is it, "$20 for Bb & Eb, $40 includes C?!" That is not common.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Learning to transpose is a great skill … however, I've NEVER heard of purchasing arrangements without a "C" part! As someone asked, what do the piano and bass players use, and how about the score used by the director???? And who sells this stuff?? What is it, "$20 for Bb & Eb, $40 includes C?!" That is not common.
    Multiple reed players often have a couple of switches in their heads that allow them to read charts for different keys. And there are a couple of tricks that others mentioned that cover a few more situations.

I can't recall ever having met a guitarist who could do it.

The logic behind the horn men doing it is that if they don't, the band has to have the appropriate Bb or Eb charts. And, if they only have one chart for everybody, then somebody has to transpose. It might as well be the guy who thinks an Eb is a C.

And, then, there's the issue of who is expecting Concert instrument players to transpose an Eb chart on the fly? Of course, I won't be surprised if it happens, but I'd never do it. Why would I want to increase the difficulty level, and thereby probability of error? If you want the band to sound its best, I'd suggest making everything as simple as possible for everyone.

Charts with big enough fonts, manageable page turns, clear road map, in the right key etc.

User Info Menu

The best solution is to buy twelve different guitars and tune them all differently. It won't help you get any better at reading but hey - you'll have twelve guitars.