The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Folks,

Will someone please explain the term this teacher uses, "Encapsulation." Here is the video I saw that brought this term up, for which I can find nothing on the web.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is he using a different term for "enclosure"? Which if I'm not mistaken, is the practice of reaching a target tone by first playing the two notes above and below it?

User Info Menu

Yeah. I would wonder that maybe he's made up his own magic term there. :-)

Looks like a series of enclosures outlining a leadline. So, "encapsulation" is to a leadline as "enclosure" is to target pitch? I think it's supposed to elicit a strong desire to purchase, solely to find out what that's about. :-)

User Info Menu

Also called surround tone, also called double neighbor embellishment of a target note.

User Info Menu

What you guys said makes sense, except for sgosnell (boo, sgosnell ).

I thought maybe it was a term from Berkley or something.

Oh well, I get the idea now thanks to your collective input. I am with fasstrack in that I don't like it when people start coming up with fancy names for something that already had a name. I don't know if the instructor did indeed to this, but if he did, it pricks my pain body in the back of my mind.

Then again, maybe he was just naming the lick rather than creating a term. Many of these instructors recommend naming a lick. Giving it that name (encapsulation) as part of the title could be designed to help jog one's memory.

Oh and one more thing, boo, sgosnell, boo.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 02-05-2017 at 10:11 AM.

User Info Menu

One of my peers (portrait photography) back in the 80's and 90's used to talk about lighting ... a crucial subject and to be handled as well outside as in-studio ... and say things to Noobs like "You see the main light comes from the left and I've got a light-trap over here ... ".

He had light-traps in everything. Didn't want to make a friend sound silly so we'd just not say anything. He taught a lot (as the wife and I also did) and we always had his attendees asking us later what that trap thing was.

Had to be honest at that point ... no freaking clue whatever. None of our other peers/friends (all major national shooters) had a clue either. But Bob liked having his key phrase.

Listening to this ... I think this guy likes having his own phrase. Like the others he's talking about an up/down then land sort of lick ending.

But he likes having his key phrase. And it adds $ to his cachet. Being punny ....

Stumbling fingers still need love ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by R Neil
    One of my peers (portrait photography) back in the 80's and 90's used to talk about lighting ... a crucial subject and to be handled as well outside as in-studio ... and say things to Noobs like "You see the main light comes from the left and I've got a light-trap over here ... ".

He had light-traps in everything. Didn't want to make a friend sound silly so we'd just not say anything. He taught a lot (as the wife and I also did) and we always had his attendees asking us later what that trap thing was.

Had to be honest at that point ... no freaking clue whatever. None of our other peers/friends (all major national shooters) had a clue either. But Bob liked having his key phrase.

Listening to this ... I think this guy likes having his own phrase. Like the others he's talking about an up/down then land sort of lick ending.

But he likes having his key phrase. And it adds $ to his cachet. Being punny ....

Great story. And I think you nailed it.

Still, I love the guys licks and will eventually buy his course. I also like his demeanor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Great story. And I think you nailed it.

Still, I love the guys licks and will eventually buy his course. I also like his demeanor.
    Yeah. Bob was a good teacher too. And friend. Intriguingly .. unique.

This guy probably is also. With any teaching, someone <you> can learn from is the more important part. Going to a "great!" teacher you just can't get is of no use. Going to someone who can take you from where you are to farther along the track you want is better.

I'm kind of poking fun above, but I honestly don't think we suffer from TOO MANY ways of describing things. I've always been a fan of "recreational" grammar and vocabulary usages.

User Info Menu

At 1:18 to 1:22 I think he says what he means by it.

User Info Menu

You can boo, but my point was that the definition of encapsulation does not fit anything he said. He's using a term incorrectly, in a way he made up himself, AFAIK. It does say that this is "extended encapsulation", and presumably he has another video that covers basic encapsulation, whatever that may be, but I'm not interested enough to search for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    You can boo, but my point was that the definition of encapsulation does not fit anything he said. He's using a term incorrectly, in a way he made up himself, AFAIK. It does say that this is "extended encapsulation", and presumably he has another video that covers basic encapsulation, whatever that may be, but I'm not interested enough to search for it.
    I was just messing with you, sgosnell. I do get your point now, however.

Now, after reading grahambop's response I am going to have to look at it again to see if the explanation is any clearer the 2nd or 3rd time around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    At 1:18 to 1:22 I think he says what he means by it.
    You are right. I would use the term "enclosure," which is in many instructional books but what the heck, it gets the point across.

Like someone else already responded, he has a target tone that he wants to hit and he just approaches it by playing notes around it.

My understanding is that this is the primary tool of those playing bebop, encapsulating their target tone, which is most often a chord tone.

Thanks for indulging me folks. Time to get ready for the Super Bowl.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I'm kind of poking fun above, but I honestly don't think we suffer from TOO MANY ways of describing things. I've always been a fan of "recreational" grammar and vocabulary usages.
    Same here. I was an English Lit major (music and P.E. minors) those 40 years back ... always have loved playing with word and phrases. Keeps the brain ticking and words from being boring ... &quot;Encapsulation&quot; - What is he talking about? Is it a common term?

User Info Menu

A great Jazz piano player who plays with big names world wide didn't even know what I meant by "enclosure" when I brought it up in conversation with him. When I explained it's definition he laughed it off with "Oh that!- well everyone does that!" ...

Even though enclosures have been around since Bach (or before), the way they're used in Jazz is such a strong, defining, stylised thing that it is taken for granted. It's like how we can speak without needing to know what an adverb or adjective is. Since 1970 the predilection with teaching the "grammar" or "syntax" of Jazz before teaching the plain sound of it has led to, well, what we have now!

User Info Menu

You call it grammar. I call it describing the shapes I play. I play shapes that have a characteristic melodic sound. Double neighbors ("enclosure") is a very good way to describe the shape of an advanced embellishment to anybody who is unfamiliar with such embellishment. Music students need explanations, if their ears alone were good enough for learning jazz language then they would all be little geniuses...or very old (it would take so long to learn for the average person by ear). The education system we have is not really the problem.
    Last edited by rintincop; 02-05-2017 at 11:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    A great Jazz piano player who plays with big names world wide didn't even know what I meant by "enclosure" when I brought it up in conversation with him. When I explained it's definition he laughed it off with "Oh that!- well everyone does that!" ...

Even though enclosures have been around since Bach (or before), the way they're used in Jazz is such a strong, defining, stylised thing that it is taken for granted. It's like how we can speak without needing to know what an adverb or adjective is. Since 1970 the predilection with teaching the "grammar" or "syntax" of Jazz before teaching the plain sound of it has led to, well, what we have now!
    It's embarrassing.

Actually it is a trap I fall into, just because I end up talking about stuff here. But I do wonder if people like Gary Burton who could play bop perfectly before he developed/popularised the modern CST thing even had a theoretic way of understanding bop. I kinda think maybe he just played it by ear.

I know a few guys who do it this way.

So, yeah STFU and go check out some music, nerds! ;-)

User Info Menu

Update:

I bought the lesson during the TrueFire Valentine's day sale. I downloaded it to my desktop directly since the price of the DVD was too much for me.

It is so convenient to have it on my laptop.

This is one of the best licks lessons for me because I love the Hard Bop idiom of Jazz. I have loaded it on all my computers.

The main thing I like about this set of licks is that they are complete statements. Some licks collections are incomplete phrases that don't seem to resolve or lead to some other ideas in my mind. Every lick in this course, 50 Hard Bop Licks, stimulates me. And all of the licks are easy to convert to a Mixolydian equivalent, so I can use it in my studies with Zellop Bebop.

Thanks gggomez. This was a great recommendation for me, especially at the stage of learning I am in.

User Info Menu

By the way, Wolf answers my question on Lick 15. In a nutshell, he explains it as approaching the target note by coming at it from notes both above and below it.

So we were right about our initial thoughts on the term "Encapsulation."