The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I wrote this tune about 5 years ago, and something that came up here reminded my of it. I'm posting it here because it's basically a theory exercise.

Here is my dreadful map of hell - the melody is essentially an expression of the changes - I wrote the rhythm first which is the way I generally compose this kind of stuff.

I wrote it because I was practicing Moment's Notice and Stablemates at the time, and was getting into that type of harmony.

You can see that the A section is entirely reharmed with chromatic ii-V's. The B section is also reharmed. Happy to discuss the theory behind it, but first, take a look and see what you think.

A bit of an academic exercise/etude, but I did play on gigs a couple of times. It was hard. I was happy to revert to straight Rhythm changes for the solos, cos I thought soloing on these changes at the indicated tempo would be too much like work. Of course the sax player was like 'challenge accepted.'
    Attached Images Attached Images My attempt at a Golson/Early Trane sideslip reharm of Rhythm Changes.-mild-peril-jpg 
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-28-2016 at 10:28 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll tell you what I think in about three months when I can play it :-)

User Info Menu

I don't think we ever got it up to tempo. Life's too short haha.

User Info Menu

Did you know if you save out the image it's called 'mild peril'?

giggles

User Info Menu

That's the other name for it:-)

User Info Menu

Sounds cool man. Nice one!

User Info Menu

I say nothing :-)

tweaked? moi?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I say nothing :-)

tweaked? moi?
    Wow, I'm rather touched that you made the effort. Great job... You make it sound like actual music.

Sped up Maniacal Laughter will be henceforth be indicated in the score.

User Info Menu

You realise that vid, even tweaked, was only about 175? Were you entirely serious when you put 240 at the top of your tune?

Or do you boppers... like... you know... take it in your stride? :-)

User Info Menu

You realise that vid, even tweaked, was only about 175? Were you entirely serious when you put 240 at the top of your tune?

Or do you boppers... like... you know... take it in your stride? :-)
    I'm not sure how serious 240 is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I'm not sure how serious 240 is.
    This serious!

PS. Stop it, it goes on for half an hour!

Last edited by ragman1; 12-28-2016 at 10:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I take it all back. It appears there are any number of quick-fingered dudes playing Moment's Notice at 240 on YouTube. Quite why one would want to subject one's brain to that I'm not sure but I guess if you can, you can! Let's face it, I'd do it too if I could so let's not knock it.

I'm no expert but I thought this was quite good:

User Info Menu

And this is Wes doing Stablemates with his thumb. I mean, really.

User Info Menu

Love Ari's version. Starts out so laid back and swinging and digestible... and then explodes into uptempo chaos in 7. That dude and his groups are just so rhythmically strong, it's scary sometimes.

User Info Menu

I take it all back. It appears there are any number of quick-fingered dudes playing Moment's Notice at 240 on YouTube. Quite why one would want to subject one's brain to that I'm not sure but I guess if you can, you can! Let's face it, I'd do it too if I could so let's not knock it.

I'm no expert but I thought this was quite good:

This is indeed very good.

That's a nice feel actually (when Ari stops mucking around with his silly polyrhythms :-P Only kidding, I love Ari and his mucking around.)

This feel is quite deceptive - the basic 7, (7/4 here) is deceptively laid back, but the actually tempo of the song is fairly quick - around 255 ish? Feels faster weirdly when I play it. Maybe that's blind panic.

Kreisberg is properly clean.

Actually I find seven has some advantages over 4 - scales have the right number of notes for a start haha.

Oh well that's something to practice.
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-29-2016 at 03:38 PM.

User Info Menu

So what's wrong with Wes and his thumb then, eh?