The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hi! I ran across a C7+. My first question is of course what chord is that? What is a +?

Second question is, is there not a listing of all the musical symbols used and an explanation of what they mean?

Third question is, does anyone know how to make the little triangle symbol for a Maj7 chord on a pc keyboard, or the half dim symbol. These, and probably many others, seem to be severely lacking on my keyboard.

There must be a symbol notation 101 somewhere.

Thanks 0zoro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

1: That's a C7augmented... + means augmented, or a #5. So it's a C7 where the G has been raised to G#.

2: Not sure. But would be a cool project for someone to undertake.

3: Not sure again. I usually use shift 6 (^) to get a triangle-ish shape... or I just write out Maj. I've heard there's a keyboard shortcut to get the diminished "degree" sign, but I don't know it. So I just write dim or halfdim. In my notation software there's ways to get all of those symbols. But I'm not sure how to do it when using the computer's basic fonts.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jordan, I think I have seen reference to a symbol chart somewhere, so neither of us would have to invent the wheel again. Question is, where is it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    Thanks Jordan, I think I have seen reference to a symbol chart somewhere, so neither of us would have to invent the wheel again. Question is, where is it?
    Try googling ASCII Extended Character chart, there are some extra characters available using Alt key + a number, for example. But it may not cover these symbols.

User Info Menu

In Microsoft Word in Windows, open Insert, then open Symbol, select the font you're interested in, and find the symbol you want.

For example, in Times New Roman, the half-diminished symbol is "Latin Capital Letter O with Stroke". character code 00D8; e.g., CØ

In Times New Roman, the delta used to represent a Dominant chord is "Greek Capital Letter Delta", character code 0394; e.g., CΔ

To make the letter or symbol a superscript, highlight the letter or symbol then press ctrl shift + simultaneously. I did that with the half-diminished symbol above.

As references, see Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" or any Jamey Aebersold playalong book for lists of chord symbols.
    Last edited by dconeill; 11-14-2016 at 01:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Lazy guy's way to get unusual characters: copy and paste. Find the Δ symbol somewhere (I use Wikipedia), select and copy it (control-C) then paste where you want it (Control-V).

User Info Menu

@BDLH...hahahaha. Never thought of that. I like it.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys!

dconeill- Which Aebersold play along did you have in mind? I have looked randomly at a few that I have with the vague recollection that I have seen a symbol chart there somewhere previously, but alas.

BDLH- Where would we all be without the lazy mans guide to symbolism and its usage. Thanks!

Graham- this may open up a whole new world!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Try googling ASCII Extended Character chart, there are some extra characters available using Alt key + a number, for example. But it may not cover these symbols.
    Here you go, it's got the half-dim symbol at least:

ASCII Extended Character Sets for PC -- Technical Notes

User Info Menu

There must be a symbol notation 101 somewhere.
    A book I see quoted sometimes is Standardized Chord Symbol Notation by Carl Brandt and Clinton Roemer. They suggest a system of chord notation, obviously not everybody agrees on... There is a pdf sheet roaming the web with a lot of chords and their respective symbol notation based on Brand & Roemer, you may find it online (LMGTFY).

Robert

Jamey Aebersold has a good glossary of chord symbols in his free handbook on his site.

User Info Menu

To easily enter music notation into a document, best is to use a notation font !!

If you are a Sibelius user, you can find a number of such fonts installed by Sibelius, ready to be selected in Word or Excel.

Maybe Finale does it too (I'm a Sibelius user)

Else you can install a free available font like Font XPTMusic1

User Info Menu

There is a good list in the Sher New Real Books

User Info Menu

dconeill- Which Aebersold play along did you have in mind? I have looked randomly at a few that I have with the vague recollection that I have seen a symbol chart there somewhere previously, but alas. ...
    Every volume of Aebersold I've ever looked at has the chart; but I haven't looked at them in awhile.

I just checked the Aebersold website - they've got a book containing this stuff available for free download.
    Go to Free Jamey Aebersold Jazz Handbook: The "Red" Book

User Info Menu

have a look to the freely available Bravura Font...
    It contains all the possible musical symbols I can think of...

Fonts | SMuFL

e_del

User Info Menu

Thank you all, that pretty well wraps thing up I presume.

User Info Menu

A thread with a logical conclusion! Woohoo!

User Info Menu

Every font you might wish to use but didn't dare to ask

http://musicfonts.net/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    A thread with a logical conclusion! Woohoo!
    Yeah, but what mode do I use on those chords???

User Info Menu

A flibbian b4 should do it!

User Info Menu

It would be the phonyan mode for me, or maybe the half-demented scale.

User Info Menu

Ah, two highly respected scales that unfortunately have not received the attention they fully and clearly deserve, enjoy them in good health! I do regularly.

User Info Menu

Hello.
    I hope that you will find this useful...

http://www.tsmp.org/keyboard/lias/pdf/symbols.pdf

Music is the key that can open strange rooms in the house of memory.
    Llewelyn Wyn Griffith

User Info Menu

Anyone remember the 7 with the horizontal line through it to indicate a Major 7 chord quality?

User Info Menu

Thanks Rhoderick, that covers alot of ground.

Thanks fep, no I don´t, that is exactly why I was wondering about a list of usual,and unusual symbols.