The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Posts 551 to 575 of 998

User Info Menu

I finished the Burton video. No more about chords or scales, but that tidbit that he doesn't transcribe. Apparently, another door into jazz involves perfect pitch, a deeply musical family and a lot of talent.

But back to CST. Most of what I read about it indicates that it refers to scale choices over a single chord -- and that the choices have to be made based on the harmonic context (meaning the chord progression) in which that single chord appears. Gary Burton's video addresses this by identifying the 10 most important scales, in his view, and giving two ideas about how to select which scale applies (which notes are in the chords before and after, and which notes are in the melody).

Burton's ideas are logical and very clearly stated.

I don't know how many would agree that those 10 scales cover 99% of situations, as Burton said, but they certainly do cover a lot of ground. And, I know there are other analytical tools for choosing a scale, eg tonal center for tunes that conform to more traditional harmonic movement. But, even if ones goes beyond Burton's 10 scales and two rules, the fundamental idea of CST is unaffected.

If I'm still missing something, and somebody has the patience to try to fill in the gap, I would appreciate a specific example.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I don't know how many would agree that those 10 scales cover 99% of situations, as Burton said, but they certainly do cover a lot of ground.
    I think they probably do. He's talking about situations. Not necessarily how you respond to a given situation. 99% might be an overstatement, but probably not by much.

If I'm still missing something, and somebody has the patience to try to fill in the gap, I would appreciate a specific example.
    I don't think you are. I think you've got the idea, but are not sure why it should be valuable to you. Maybe it's not. Maybe it doesn't fit with the way your mind works.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    I think they probably do. He's talking about situations. Not necessarily how you respond to a given situation. 99% might be an overstatement, but probably not by much.

I don't think you are. I think you've got the idea, but are not sure why it should be valuable to you. Maybe it's not. Maybe it doesn't fit with the way your mind works.
    That may be right. I haven't had much luck finding new sounds based on theoretical considerations about scales. I've done better hearing and seeing another player make sounds using certain notes. For example, the first time I heard a #11 against a 7th chord, it stuck in my ear. I suspect, in retrospect, that the teacher was playing a lydian dominant pattern, but it was the #11 that made the impression. CST gets you to the same place, but I can't seem to get there from trying out X scale against Y chord in the practice room.

Where I do find CST helpful is in the situation where the leader puts a chart I've never seen on my stand - with unfamiliar harmony, counts off the tune and I have to take the first solo. At that point, I rely on knowing chord tones and having some scale choices per CST. It's not art, but it's not clams either. If I can figure out a tonal center, I can even make some informed choices among the scale options. If not, I can stick close to the chord tones and extend them by ear.

All that said, I keep coming back to Jimmy Bruno sounding terrific playing Bb Ionian over Bbmaj7. If you can't do that, maybe it isn't yet time to focus on scales Burton didn't bother to mention.

User Info Menu

I got the old school version from my guitar teacher in the mid 70's. It took him about 2 minutes to show me the melody, vamp and Dorian mode that can be used on 'So What'.
    I've come to the conclusion that So What is the first fusion tune and there are generally 3 kinds of theory- jazz(more specifically bop), fusion and classical.
    The place to start is with the oldest- classical. Learn about the history of modes, Gregorian chant, counterpoint.

What is there to say about CST in bop? It's not completely useless but close to it. If there's time to embellish and noodle on a Ab7b5 chord I think A major. If it's an Am7b5 I think Cm6.
    I'm not that concerned with scales other than the major scale. If I was more into fusion where chords don't typically fly by as fast as in bop I'd explore CST more.

User Info Menu

CST is the opposite of... the kind of ecstatic experience the ear can reveal.

User Info Menu

CST is the opposite of..

User Info Menu

There is only that much approach notes, enclosures and embellishments you can do on chord tones and melody, swing it or not, over standard, or over blues.
    There is so much of them that already in '50s-'60s of 20th century general public, as well as prominent musicians went for more vehicles of interest and "creativity". So, unless you play strictly from imagination, ear and inner ear, without any use whatsoever of theory, muscle memory and vocabulary, you will need more than chord tones and melody to keep you from drowning in the waste of overexploited musical devices.
    Having them organized in, or coming to them from, modes of Major scale (and Melodic Minor and more....) is one way to extend the validity time of same old procedures. Matt Guitar Teacher posted good clip of explanation earlier in this thread.
    For example, could give one way to play notes belonging to harmonic minor without sounding too old, or banal, ... or, for another example, middle eastern while still using all the half steps.

Personally, I do not use modes to organize, or play anything.

User Info Menu

CST gives access to the 13th note. Don't tell anyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    The importance of study is obvious, but the proper object of study is not - especially when 'study' becomes a refuge in itself.

CST is the opposite of... "Kill the Buddha."
    It's a sign of the times at least in the US. When the going gets tough we study. I can make varnishes and primers from scratch but enough of that jive.

I just turned 60 and I decided to become a rock star. One guitar, one amp and a boat load of pedals.
    Good call on that compressor by the way. I'll go with that or the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone.

No rest for the wicked....
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-02-2017 at 10:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    It's a sign of the times at least in the US. When the going gets tough we study. I can make vanishes and primers from scratch but enough of that jive.

I just turned 60 and I decided to become a rock star. One guitar, one amp and a boat load of pedals.
    Good call on that compressor by the way. I'll go with that or the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone.

No rest for the wicked....
    Keep ringing that bell, man.

I'm not far off 60 myself. Spent the last ten years sorting myself out. Turning down lounge gigs - on the right track. Played archtop with thumb and a Fender Thin tonight. It's 00:25, and I'm between sets. CST? Some kind of time zone?

Wa da ta.

User Info Menu

I'm not far off 60 myself. Spent the last ten years sorting myself out. Turning down lounge gigs - on the right track. Played archtop with thumb and a Fender Thin tonight. It's 00:25, and I'm between sets. CST? Some kind of time zone?

Wa da ta.
    IDK what the dabble dee is with these bammies. They cama cama leepa chai with the gigs. If you're going to ranacan you have to show up.

User Info Menu

Wa da ta.
    You're a singer who plays guitar. If you're holding down a rhythmic pulse it does put a different slant on things.
    I know you're a big Benson fan but he's a guitar player who sings. Same with Hendrix and Glen Campbell.
    BB King and Willie Nelson are singers who play guitar.

That's just an observation. It's not a reflection of how well someone either plays guitar or sings.

User Info Menu

CST is the opposite of..
    Whenever I hear that song, I always want to hear

If you dally with Lydia,
    She'll give you chlamidya...

But that's just me.

User Info Menu

You're a singer who plays guitar. If you're holding down a rhythmic pulse it does put a different slant on things.
    I know you're a big Benson fan but he's a guitar player who sings. Same with Hendrix and Glen Campbell.
    BB King and Willie Nelson are singers who play guitar.

That's just an observation. It's not a reflection of how well someone either plays guitar or sings.
    I never thought of B.B.'s guitar playing as being separate from his singing. It was an extension of it. He was a singuitarist.

User Info Menu

IDK what the dabble dee is with these bammies. They cama cama leepa chai with the gigs. If you're going to ranacan you have to show up.
    Better break out these flashcards...

User Info Menu

Benson sang before he played guitar. He just got famous for his guitar playing first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Whenever I hear that song, I always want to hear

If you dally with Lydia,
    She'll give you chlamidya...

But that's just me.
    A different dalliance (sans transmission of modes):

User Info Menu

Better break out these flashcards...
    It's all Dothraki now, surely?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    It's all Dothraki now, surely?
    Had to google that one - haven't seen Game of Thrones (yet).

I suppose the first one below is an hommage to the second one:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I finished the Burton video. No more about chords or scales, but that tidbit that he doesn't transcribe. Apparently, another door into jazz involves perfect pitch, a deeply musical family and a lot of talent.

But back to CST. Most of what I read about it indicates that it refers to scale choices over a single chord -- and that the choices have to be made based on the harmonic context (meaning the chord progression) in which that single chord appears. Gary Burton's video addresses this by identifying the 10 most important scales, in his view, and giving two ideas about how to select which scale applies (which notes are in the chords before and after, and which notes are in the melody).

Burton's ideas are logical and very clearly stated.

I don't know how many would agree that those 10 scales cover 99% of situations, as Burton said, but they certainly do cover a lot of ground. And, I know there are other analytical tools for choosing a scale, eg tonal center for tunes that conform to more traditional harmonic movement. But, even if ones goes beyond Burton's 10 scales and two rules, the fundamental idea of CST is unaffected.

Adam Neely's (clear, concise and coherent) take on the Chord Scale method:

User Info Menu

Yea take those vids and write them out.... not that clear. not even close to concise... coherent... maybe. I understand what he's saying, a few miss directions, mixing up of references.

So ... I remember years ago on this forum, introducing different approaches to playing the guitar, different approaches to understanding what your playing... basically trying to get guitarist to become better musicians... and being aware of what it is to play in jazz styles.

The entire time... being aware of where it was going. Many guitarist have changed their opinions of what those things are... many have changed their personal opinions. Generally most disagree first, then gradually start seeing possibilities etc... some just keep beating their hear against walls. But info. does help.

My point... becoming a better guitarist isn't just playing etc... Your odds of learning to play jazz guitar with most teaches, (Disclaimer, no one on this forum)... is maybe 1%. Most teachers trying to teach jazz guitar.... can't play, let alone teach jazz guitar.

Yea many just hang around for info,some for entertainment... some to pass the time...who knows, maybe the clan thing... but if you have some skills... why not try and pass it on. Usually going through the process of having to verbally explain music helps one understand... which usually leads to developing a better ear, from actually being aware.

User Info Menu

Nice distinction between chord-scales and their corresponding modes (whose Greek names they share).

User Info Menu

Hmm, I've been sitting on the sidelines and thinking more and more about all this, and so to the original question, "CST is the opposite of ... " I'm ready to take another guess ... is it salami?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yea take those vids and write them out.... not that clear. not even close to concise... coherent... maybe. I understand what he's saying, a few miss directions, mixing up of references.

So ... I remember years ago on this forum, introducing different approaches to playing the guitar, different approaches to understanding what your playing... basically trying to get guitarist to become better musicians... and being aware of what it is to play in jazz styles.

The entire time... being aware of where it was going. Many guitarist have changed their opinions of what those things are... many have changed their personal opinions. Generally most disagree first, then gradually start seeing possibilities etc... some just keep beating their hear against walls. But info. does help.

My point... becoming a better guitarist isn't just playing etc... Your odds of learning to play jazz guitar with most teaches, (Disclaimer, no one on this forum)... is maybe 1%. Most teachers trying to teach jazz guitar.... can't play, let alone teach jazz guitar.

Yea many just hang around for info,some for entertainment... some to pass the time...who knows, maybe the clan thing... but if you have some skills... why not try and pass it on. Usually going through the process of having to verbally explain music helps one understand... which usually leads to developing a better ear, from actually being aware.
    Isn't this a place of leisure?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Hmm, I've been sitting on the sidelines and thinking more and more about all this, and so to the original question, "CST is the opposite of ... " I'm ready to take another guess ... is it salami?
    actually, no, CST is also a somewhat spicy, salt cured meat. Amazing how few people dig far enough into CST to discover that.