The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

Found this article. Need to read more drum stuff. Chimes in with a lot of what I'm thinking about.

The key to a great drum groove is maintaining a consistent upbeat feel ? TBruce Wittet

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Or you can conceive of the upbeat as a new kind of downbeat . Especially when it's another beat to hit .

User Info Menu

You've been drinking from the Mike Longo tap haven't you?

If you are into that, try playing the rhythm to Oleo with two handed sticking in 12/8 on the Djembe. That bakes my noodle every time, so to speak :-)

The coordination of the bop rhythm stuff is really interesting, physicalises what you are talking about.
    Last edited by christianm77; 10-14-2016 at 08:52 AM.

User Info Menu

One of my favorite jazz quotes is from Diz: "The more upbeats you have in the music, the more it swings."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    You've been drinking from the Mike Longo tap haven't you?

If you are into that, try playing the rhythm to Oleo with two handed sticking in 12/8 on the Djembe. That bakes my noodle every time, so to speak :-)

The coordination of the bop rhythm stuff is really interesting, physicalises what you are talking about.
    Yeah, I'm not trying to be esotetric about this stuff.

I think there comes a time (and it has for me) where you have to take stock and assess. You mention the abilty to play simple things well.

I interpret that as the ability to play FUNDAMENTAL and ESSENTIAL things well.

To me, there is nothing mor fundamental and essential about this music than time, time-feel and syncopation. That's why I was drawn to it in the first place. It's what makes jazz jazz.

It's where I need to radically improve BIG TIME. It's what I need to concentrate and focus all my energies on.

You know, every time I think of watching a teaching demo about some esoteric chord scale theory stuff, the player always demonstates the example adding "a little rhythm" to it.

Guess what? the #9/b9/ chord scale lydian dominant alterned nonsnese is not what makes the demo interesting. It's the rhythmic interest that makes it all come alive.

I've thought long and hard about my playing and where I want to go and what I need to improve on. I can learn tunes, the fingerboard is less of a mystery anymore, I know my fundamental chords-voicings-scales such that I don't have to basically struggle with it.

I try to pose questions as simply and concretely as possible. My goal is to improvise pianistically with the guitar, to spontaneously eitether play (1) a bass note against a three note chord; (2) two lines in counterpoint; (3) play a melody simultaneously against an accompaniment.

Where is my playing lacking? Easy to figure out.

I can't nail duple/simple against triple meter, I can't get a handle on compund meter that is articulated and phrased in a jazz style.

That's why "playing Oleo two handed in 12/8 on a djambe" is not an esoteric or intellectual thing at all. It's fundamentally important.

User Info Menu

Here's a transcript of a lesson Ethan Iverson took from Charles McPherson. Lots of interesting discussion about upbeats.https://ethaniverson.com/interview-w...les-mcpherson/

User Info Menu

I always tell students " Accent the "+".....it is extremely important for musicality, imo. The other key is lay back your melody a little behind the beat, and then feel free to be expressive by playing catch up on the beatand then lay it back again. I call it "gas pedal time" (for melody players). Erroll Garner was the master of this.
    Last edited by rintincop; 10-14-2016 at 11:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    I always tell students " Accent the "+".....it is extremely important for musicality, imo. The other key is lay back your melody a little behind the beat, and then feel free to be expressive by playing catch up on the beatand then lay it back again. I call it "gas pedal time" (for melody players). Erroll Garner was the master of this.
    A lot of times, "playing behind the beat" is simply really playing 3 aginst 4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Here's a transcript of a lesson Ethan Iverson took from Charles McPherson. Lots of interesting discussion about upbeats.https://ethaniverson.com/interview-w...les-mcpherson/
    Great read, thanks.

"Think of the quarter notes not as marching but as ice-skating. Elvin Jones said, “I don’t think of 4/4, I think of 8/8…and the person who told me to think that way was Charlie Parker.” Elvin told that to my son."

User Info Menu

Not only is that a fantastic interview, but it is a complete confirmation of the Dizzy Gillespie by way of Mike Longo conception of "universal rhythym"--how playing in 6/8, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 7/4 dotted quarters, 12/8 all fit polyrhythmically because one person's downbeat is another person's accent.

Everyone's moving the "one" around.

Love this excerpt on Bird:

"In Afro Cuban everything they are doing is that. The bass players are on the “and” of 2 and the downbeat of four. They are never on one. It sounds like they are in seven and it’s just 2/4!
    You listen to them and you say “Man what is that?” and they say, “Oh it’s just 6/8, 2/4 or 4/4.” It’s because where they are choosing to accent.
    [Sings Charlie Parker blues “Bird Feathers.”]
    If I did not put a melody to that and just played the rhythm to it, I’d sound like a great drummer.
    You see when Bird wants to play with the Afro Cuban cats….Bird was already that.
    He did not have to change anything. Can you imagine Miles playing with an Afro Cuban group?
    EI: I guess Sonny Rollins was the guy.
    CM: He was the closest. He was next. I don’t even know if Coltrane was quite like that. Trane’s actually straighter. He was wonderful but he did not quite have the corners. If he had the corners that Sonny Rollins had in 1957 and Sonny Rollins had the harmony that Trane had…that’s the way you’d beat both of them. "

User Info Menu

Speaking of Ethan, I've posted this before, but it is possibly the best jazz interview I have read so far.

Interview with Billy Hart - Do The Math

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Guess what? the #9/b9/ chord scale lydian dominant alterned nonsnese is not what makes the demo interesting. It's the rhythmic interest that makes it all come alive.
    This is both a strength and weakness of the CST approach. If you play these scales:

Major 7 ---> Lydian
    Minor 7 --> Dorian
    7 --> Lydian Dominant
    etc

You will encounter no avoid notes.

Now that means that you have complete rhythmic freedom. Barry Harris (of all people!) points out that intervallic lines allow you more rhythmic freedom than scales (in his case he means running scales up and down with added notes etc.)

Now this is as true of the modern intervallic and non-pattern Gary Burton style modal playing as it is of Barry's third and triad patterns. This kind of thing is kind of the modern concept I hear in a lot of contemporary players, often intermixed with more old style boppish language.

Problem is, there is not natural lilt to the music built in. That's why I think CST suits some people and not others. It didn't suit me, but now I am coming back to it. But it is hard to swing that stuff, because unlike bebop licks, there is no intrinsic stress or resolution or direction built in.

This may be part of the reason a lot of the modern stuff doesn't swing and why modern players still use the bop furniture in their music. Perhaps that interplay between harmony, rhythm and melody is the thing that gives jazz a lot of it's characteristic feel.

No answers here guv, just questions...

User Info Menu

This is the stuff. Thanks again David...

User Info Menu

There’s a good a example with two different tunes. Miles Davis is the one who wrote “Donna Lee,” based off the changes of “Indiana.” It’s still a great tune, but it is not quite the same thing that Bird and Dizzy had at that time, it is a little more straight.
    Boom! I always thought that.

User Info Menu

Mike Longo conception of "universal rhythym"--how playing in 6/8, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 7/4 dotted quarters, 12/8 all fit polyrhythmically because one person's downbeat is another person's accent.

Everyone's moving the "one" around.

. "
    You are citing time signatures when you mean to say:
    2 against 3
    3 against 4 not "3/4"

etc...
    Last edited by rintincop; 10-21-2016 at 05:18 PM.

User Info Menu

A fascinating interview! I estimate he's around 85% correct, but is seems a few of his ideas are questionable... he is not much of a Miles fan.
    Last edited by rintincop; 10-21-2016 at 03:38 PM.

User Info Menu

"Major 7 ---> Lydian
    Minor 7 --> Dorian
    7 --> Lydian Dominant
    etc."

What's the etc.???

Rather than playing, I seem to spend more time drawing lines and writing notes out. And a few months ago I came to 1/3 of your conclusion, that for Dom 7 lydian dominant had no drawbacks. Min 7 dorian seems fairly obvious but I def had not thought of lydian over Maj 7 though. Where's my notepad...

Anyways, seriously, what's the etc.???

User Info Menu

.... I had a brief conversation with Jonathan Kreisberg about practicing three against four and two against three. I have not seen any of his videos, but he fundamentally disagreed in terms of this, because he said he will feel it in three not in four. He said it is very important to feel quarter note triplets in four .
    KEY POINT : That is African approach not the Indian approach.
    This should be easy if you have a full command of triplet eighth note subdivisions.

I know all this stuff like the back of my hand, it's basics to me.
    Longo is a smart guy but he can confuse some folks into thinking that counting in eighth note groupings is ideal as the the Indian/Asian cultures tend to. They will counting patterns like 123 123 12 12 123 123 is for a 13/8 . It is more trance like and linear in concept.
    But Africans prefer superimposing over a 4/4 pulse, because it is more suspenseful, more dance-like, and thus more applicable to jazz which has always usually been a 4/4 music. Remember Africa is where jazz gets its rhythm from not from Asia. Peg your rhythm concepts on the triplet division of 4 quarter notes to retain an exciting dance like African quality.

13/8 not so great for dance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomems
    "Major 7 ---> Lydian
    Minor 7 --> Dorian
    7 --> Lydian Dominant
    etc."

What's the etc.???

Rather than playing, I seem to spend more time drawing lines and writing notes out. And a few months ago I came to 1/3 of your conclusion, that for Dom 7 lydian dominant had no drawbacks. Min 7 dorian seems fairly obvious but I def had not thought of lydian over Maj 7 though. Where's my notepad...

Anyways, seriously, what's the etc.???
    OK, these are my stock CST choices for contemporary style free intervallic playing. These scales have (at least to my ears) no 'awkward notes.'

Major 7 --> Lydian
    Minor 7 --> Dorian
    Minor/Major 7 --> Melodic Minor
    Dom 7 --> Lydian Dominant
    Altered Dominant --> Altered
    Half Diminished --> Locrian #2

That stuff's pretty standard amirite?
    Last edited by christianm77; 10-21-2016 at 08:22 PM.

User Info Menu

You are citing time signatures when you mean to say:
    2 against 3
    3 against 4 not "3/4"

etc...
    I think NSJ meant 3/4. There is a 3/4 pulse in 4/4 swing feel, the half note triplet. It's quite subtle. Longo discusses it on his second Rhythmic Nature of Jazz DVD.

User Info Menu

A fascinating interview! I estimate he's around 85% correct, but is seems a few of his ideas are questionable... he is not much of a Miles fan.
    Seriously, there aren't many people who can swing and also have a way to explain and teach it.

Myself, I estimate McPherson to be 100% correct, at least from what I know so far. He also plays world class saxophone so I tend to trust him.

Perhaps you have more understanding in this area.
    Last edited by christianm77; 10-21-2016 at 08:32 PM.

User Info Menu

OK, these are my stock CST choices for contemporary style free intervallic playing. These scales have (at least to my ears) no 'awkward notes.'

Major 7 --> Lydian
    Minor 7 --> Dorian
    Minor/Major 7 --> Melodic Minor
    Dom 7 --> Lydian Dominant
    Altered Dominant --> Altered
    Half Diminished --> Locrian #2

That stuff's pretty standard amirite?
    Thanks much. It is. I never thought about Locrian #2 much but I'll give it a whirl. Familiar with the other stuff, albeit clumsily.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomems
    Thanks much. It is. I never thought about Locrian #2 much but I'll give it a whirl. Familiar with the other stuff, albeit clumsily.
    No problem. Back to rhythm....
    Last edited by christianm77; 10-22-2016 at 12:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Seriously, there aren't many people who can swing and also have a way to explain and teach it.

Myself, I estimate McPherson to be 100% correct, at least from what I know so far. He also plays world class saxophone so I tend to trust him.

Perhaps you have more understanding in this area.
    I do have understanding.
    CM idolizes Parker and admits he knows very little about clave (and Latin rhythms which all came out of embellishments, variations, and extrapolations of African Tresillio).
    He says Wynton Kelly and Red Garland played dotted eight sixteenths swing: false
    He said Miles was a symmetrical (boring rhythm) player: false
    Last edited by rintincop; 10-22-2016 at 02:52 PM.

He said Miles was a symmetrical (boring rhythm) player: false
    You can disagree with someone on their opinion, but an opinion about something which is inherently subjective can't be false. It's just an opinion.