The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 112 of 112

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGerry
    Christian, this should be turned into a separate thread, so that it doesn't get lost (good idea BTW).

Haven't thought too much about this, but here goes:

1. Sing and play phrases simultaneously, using a single note (the tonic of the 1st chord), without backing, for a whole chorus of a standard (12 bar or AABA). If need be, just play the rhythm of the melody and try to fill in gaps in the rhythm.

2. Same thing, but call and response led by the tutor (more likely to feed pupils rhythmic phrases that are musical)

3. As above, but trade 4s with each other, trying to pick up on the rhythms of the last player

3. Same as no. 1, but this time alter the chord tone as necessary to facilitate chord changes (the 'line' remains flat/static, but adjusts to the harmony). This time through, backing should be provided.

4. Repeat last process, no backing and with a different chord tone from 1st bar.

5. Once you've gone through all the notes of the basic triad (of 1st bar's chord), combine two notes rhythmically and follow this coupling through the whole progression.

6. Now all three notes of the first triad.

7. Introduce a single passing note in the first bar and try to maintain the idea through the whole progression.

8. Introduce another passing note.

9 Crack open the tins.

10 Casually introduce into conversation that your wife doesn't understand you.
    9. is an key point I feel... ;-)

Is there an easy way of doing the new thread thing?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    9. is an key point I feel... ;-)

Is there an easy way of doing the new thread thing?
    Repost your initial plan under a new heading. I'll probably revise mine and post after? Include quotes you like from other posts.

User Info Menu

it's not taught that way at any jazz college that I know of including berklee and university of miami. There are jazz-theory and theory classes that are required in order to get a degree but I know plenty of musicians who played by ear when they first started jazz school including my buddy Dan Wilson who is currently touring with Joey Defrancesco. Can couldn't read and didn't know theory when he started in college.

No jazz curriculum that I know of stresses theory over listening, feeling or playing by ear. Private lessons is another matter altogether.

User Info Menu

Repost your initial plan under a new heading. I'll probably revise mine and post after? Include quotes you like from other posts.
    Coolio!

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguitars09
    Why is music education mostly centered around theory and memorizing things from a book instead of PLAYING and TRANSCRIBING and THEN putting the pieces together? when the GOAL is to be able to PLAY?
    I think it's a false perception. Theory is easier to talk about than almost anything else in text form, like on the interwebs or books. There are simply many more books on learning to play "out of a book" than books on learning to play "not from a book".

Formulaic concepts are easier to print. When you start getting into real music , there are limitations even with notation. There's a lot more money involved once you start recording. Then, if you start using copyrighted music , there's a whole new level of complication with royalties etc.

Jack is a real teacher. I would maybe look at what real teachers actually teach and ask them.

Most of the ones that have things in print say things about transcribing a lot. The fact that that is a one sentence description of a PROCESS doesn't make it less important than the paragraphs about things which can be easily printed.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 10-01-2015 at 05:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I think it's a false perception. Theory is easier to talk about than almost anything else in text form, like on the enter web's or books. There are simply many more books on learning to play "out of a book" than books on learning to play "not from a book".
    Well, it is what we mostly talk about on the forum, isn't it - probably for that reason.... :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Coolio!
    Let us know where you post the new thread! There are so many sub forums on this site it's easy to miss things.

User Info Menu

Let us know where you post the new thread! There are so many sub forums on this site it's easy to miss things.
    It's up, in 'improvisation'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    it's not taught that way at any jazz college that I know of including berklee and university of miami.
    I realize you probably aren't responding to my own post, but ... what I posted is what I learned from private study with Shelley Berg (dean at Miami but many years ago he actually gave private lessons - brilliant) and Dan Haerle at North Texas. And as previously mentioned, my sister is on faculty at Berklee. So if anything, my own lesson plan could be accused of being too dogmatic - but it's also been thoroughly tested.

On an aside, kinda hoping this is the only time I take counterpoint to jzucker, the man obviously knows his stuff.

Man, this is a great discussion. Just sitting back and learning .

destinytot Guest
    My friend Alfonso's description of his music-theory card game, Musicathlon, and promotional video in Spanish:
    "Musicathlon's objective is to favour musical learning through game, either alone or in a group.

To accomplish this, we provide a deck of cards that generate the exercises when combined correctly. When you work in a group, Musicathlon makes it possible to practice several aspects of music theory in many different ways using traditional card games. Musicathlon stimulates the players' creativity because of this, allowing them to generate their own games.

Given the number of cards that make up Musicathlon and the multiple ways they can be combined, each game is different to the next. Repeated questions are avoided in this way, encouraging dynamic learning.

The solutions to the different games aren't provided and so Musicathlon is devised as support material for teachers. However, it is also for students who want to test their musical knowledge and those who want to start learning music in a fun way.

The cards may be selected prior to starting the game according to the players' level of musical knowledge. As a result, Musicathlon adapts to all levels, from beginners to advanced students.

You can play Musicathlon in two ways: physical card game and online. Both versions offer different approaches to the same game. You'll be able to enjoy them soon!"

User Info Menu

I just found an interesting youtube video with million views, called "Play Songs By Ear". What I want to say is that music theory and hearing is supporting each other. We can't learn music theory without hearing