The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 69 of 69

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons
    Love it man...I think I remember hearing about a "duet" the was composed once on a single staff. You laid the page out flat on a table and had 2 musicians read of the same page...but each was looking at it from the other side. Like you're talking about...upside down.

Anyone else know about this? Maybe Mozart? I can't remember now. I'm pretty sure it's a real thing for a legit composer, but I honestly don't remember where I heard about it, how long ago, or any of the details.

That said...at the moment, my goals are a little too specific with my composing. I do sometimes flip pages upside for sight-reading practice...doubles the materials I have to work on my reading with. But for composing, I usually stick with trying to get the stuff out of my head onto paper.

Maybe one day I'll get a little more experimental with it.

Its Bach, I believe it's from the musical offering? Also check out his crab cannons and, well, everything else. It's all pure gold.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bach did this. I absolutely love his music and ideas.

Speaking of Crab Cannon - has anyone here read Hofstadter's GEB? I got about half way through and thought it was awesome. I might try and finish it one day: because I ought to be able to understand the second half of the book by now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Its Bach, I believe it's from the musical offering? Also check out his crab cannons and, well, everything else. It's all pure gold.
    I should have figured. I was pretty sure it was one of the older writers...and it seems like it would yield more of a baroque sound than a classical.

If you stumble across the name of it, or a video...please do share! I'd love to see it performed. I'm definitely going to see if I can find it. Would love to give it a shot. The only Bach I've really ever spent time with are a couple of his violin sonatas and cello suits.

Some of the most beautiful shit ever written man. That dude. That dude.

User Info Menu

Here's an interesting visualisation of the 'crab canon'.

The Genius of J.S. Bach's "Crab Canon" Visualized on a Möbius Strip | Open Culture

User Info Menu

The one that 2 guys play across a table is called a 'table canon' by the sound of it and is also in the Musical Offering.

Some stuff here about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_canon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_canon

User Info Menu

I should have figured. I was pretty sure it was one of the older writers...and it seems like it would yield more of a baroque sound than a classical.

If you stumble across the name of it, or a video...please do share! I'd love to see it performed. I'm definitely going to see if I can find it. Would love to give it a shot. The only Bach I've really ever spent time with are a couple of his violin sonatas and cello suits.

Some of the most beautiful shit ever written man. That dude. That dude.

So before you listen, you should know the story. Bachs kid worked for a king (who was also an accomplished musician), they invited the old man to come check out this new fangled thing called a piano. Anyway, since Bach was known as, well, the greatest improviser in the history of music, the king thought he would give him a challenge.

Bach was known to be able to improvise a fugue based on any theme you could give him. So the king came up with this long, weird, chromatic theme. Of course, he sat down and crushed it. (I imagine) somewhat miffed, the king asked for a six voice fugue based on it (what an a@@hole), Bach said ok let me work on it. In two months, among other obligations, he wrote what became known as the musical offering.

this is one of the many pieces of that work. He took the Kings odd melody, and wrote it so it could be played forward, and backward, at the same time. It's a crab cannon.

https://youtube.com/watch?t=14&v=xUHQ2ybTejU

User Info Menu

Here is the same theme, this time in the never ending canon

https://youtube.com/watch?v=A41CITk85jk

User Info Menu

Here are more details. Canon 9 is the table canon (although they call it a mirror canon here).

This contains the score as well.

Ten Canons of the Musical Offering
    Last edited by grahambop; 08-09-2015 at 01:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Lastly here is a six voice fugue based on the theme. This is just not ok, I'm going to go find a nice high bridge to jump from....

keep in mind, Bach sent him back over an hour and a half of music based on that theme, these are just little bits.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KYouXtuk0T8

User Info Menu

Lastly here is a six voice fugue based on the theme. This is just not ok, I'm going to go find a nice high bridge to jump from....

keep in mind, Bach sent him back over an hour and a half of music based on that theme, these are just little bits.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KYouXtuk0T8
    I love everything by Bach, the guy was an absolute genius!

User Info Menu

Well apologies if I helped this thread go totally of the rails of what it was intended for. But I gotta say, I think this has become my favorite thread I've been a part of since joining this forum.

This is fantastic. I'm going to be checking all of this out this week.

Thanks for sharing this stuff!

User Info Menu

Well apologies if I helped this thread go totally of the rails of what it was intended for. But I gotta say, I think this has become my favorite thread I've been a part of since joining this forum.

This is fantastic. I'm going to be checking all of this out this week.

Thanks for sharing this stuff!

Seriously, if you are not already familiar, look into the art of fugue. When you listen to it, you think wow that music is amazing. When you find out the math behind it, it's un-human. I know this is inflammatory, but Bach has never been equaled, and likely never will be.

If he ever played jazz, we would all be in deep trouble.

User Info Menu

I've often felt that we could sum up music history by saying this:

A bunch of dudes trying to live up to what Bach was doing.

hahahaha

User Info Menu

Seriously, if you are not already familiar, look into the art of fugue. When you listen to it, you think wow that music is amazing. When you find out the math behind it, it's un-human. I know this is inflammatory, but Bach has never been equaled, and likely never will be.

If he ever played jazz, we would all be in deep trouble.
    In a way, he did, given that he was reputed to be a master improviser.

User Info Menu

Karl Munchinger did a gorgeous version of this on strings. Not very 'authentic', but who cares?

User Info Menu

Karl Munchinger did a gorgeous version of this on strings. Not very 'authentic', but who cares?
    There's a really great record made on piano by Konstantin Lifschitz.. it's by far not based on HIP priceiples. But it is as musical as Bach's records made by Menuhin or Furtwangler. Unfortunatel I could not find it on youtube...

Also I like arrangemenat of teh 1st ricercar nmade by Webern.. it is interesting how he practically deconstructs fugal structure with imstrumentation making it sounds very different, ver Webern-like... but at the same time I really hear Bch through - it's you can hear the husge distance that is still conected by the same tradition and langugae

You guys derailed my thread! I guess none of you read GEB.

Anyway thanks for this information: 'Table Cannon' hey! Now I know. Bach's achievements are truly amazing.
    Don't worry about derailing the thread: the original subject has pretty much been exhausted.
    Last edited by czardas; 08-10-2015 at 09:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by czardas
    Anyway thanks for this information: 'Table Cannon' hey! Now I know.
    I think that's something else:

Drop 3 Chords Naming-coffeetablecannon2-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I think that's something else:

Drop 3 Chords Naming-coffeetablecannon2-jpg
    Well played, that's a 'cannon table'.
    Last edited by czardas; 08-10-2015 at 01:18 PM.