The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Posts 301 to 305 of 305

User Info Menu

Jordan, would you consider starting a new thread with this? It looks like it's going to be awesome and I don't wanna see it buried.

Those Carter fills are so tough to hear, great job...that hadda take patience!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ok I have been straining my ears for the last 2 hours and this is what I've got for the first chorus. This is a combination of what my ears tell me, what Herbie said in the interview, and some of Ron Carter's bass notes. It has to be said that some of Ron's bass notes sort of alter what Herbie said. Also Herbie only played one Eb chord on bar 16, not 3 as he says in the interview.

/ Abmaj7#11 / Absus4 (Db bass) / Gm7b5 / C7b9#11 /

/ Bmaj7 add9 / Bmaj7#11 / Bbm7b5 / Eb7b9#11 /

/ Emaj6 / Esus4 (A bass) / Dm7 (#5) / Emaj (D bass) /

/ Bm7 (E bass) / Eb7 9 #11 / Bbm (maj7) add9 / Eb7 b9 #11 13 /

Notes:
    Bar 2: Herbie said the bass note is Ab, but Ron plays a Db here.
    Bar 10: Ron sort of gradually climbs up to an A here so it's debatable whether this really has an A bass or not.
    Bar 11: Herbie said this has a Bb bass but I really cannot hear it. He very clearly plays a Dmin7 chord while Ron sort of goes nuts, ascending from A to D then up what sounds a bit like a D minor scale with some chromatics. There is then a Bb in the sax melody, so I've put (#5) to cover this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Ok I have been straining my ears for the last 2 hours and this is what I've got for the first chorus. This is a combination of what my ears tell me, what Herbie said in the interview, and some of Ron Carter's bass notes. It has to be said that some of Ron's bass notes sort of alter what Herbie said. Also Herbie only played one Eb chord on bar 16, not 3 as he says in the interview.

/ Abmaj7#11 / Absus4 (Db bass) / Gm7b5 / C7b9#11 /

/ Bmaj7 add9 / Bmaj7#11 / Bbm7b5 / Eb7b9#11 /

/ Emaj6 / Esus4 (A bass) / Dm7 (#5) / Emaj (D bass) /

/ Bm7 (E bass) / Eb7 9 #11 / Bbm (maj7) add9 / Eb7 b9 #11 13 /

Notes:
    Bar 2: Herbie said the bass note is Ab, but Ron plays a Db here.
    Bar 10: Ron sort of gradually climbs up to an A here so it's debatable whether this really has an A bass or not.
    Bar 11: Herbie said this has a Bb bass but I really cannot hear it. He very clearly plays a Dmin7 chord while Ron sort of goes nuts, ascending from A to D then up what sounds a bit like a D minor scale with some chromatics. There is then a Bb in the sax melody, so I've put (#5) to cover this.
    Of my 3 fake book versions, the Hal Leonard real book and the Ireal book app were quite close to this. The old Real Book had more differences.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    That's a somewhat static way of viewing things. You could develop your ear to able to play things like Nefertiti without needing to analyse it.

There's a good Mick Goodrick exercise for just this - I think we were discussing it on another thread.

Perhaps the time that one could spend on learning CST could be better used doing this. Just a thought.
    Hey Christianm,
    i had a look but couldn't find the mick goodrick exercise you mention in this discussion. Would you mind linking to the thread?
    cheers

User Info Menu

I'm not sure how linking works on my phone, so look for 'cool exercise' in the 'improvisation' sub section. The ref is there.