The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 67

User Info Menu

C Major C E G, is radiating the overtone series. The C Root of the C Minor Chord C Eb G, is still radiating the E natural. The E natural overtone clashes with the Eb in the C minor Chord. The radiation of the Overtone Series is in conflict with the Eb in the chord, and the body feels it as something's wrong. This is where the sad feeling comes from.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In classical music, slow minor pieces often sound sad to me, but not the fast minor pieces.

User Info Menu

So you're saying a minor chord is still a major it just has attitude.

User Info Menu

I think of minor pieces or chords as dark not necessarily sad, but when you play major scales over them it brightens them up.

User Info Menu

Yet minor chords may substitute for major ones (and vice versa.)

Sticking with the example of C, both Em and Am are diatonic substitutes for it. The C6 chord--the 6h chord in general---was a common choice for the I chord in a swing tune, yet C6 contains the same notes as A minor 7. You can play one for the other. If one is sad---or happy---the other one can be too! ;o)

User Info Menu

How do they taste? Is one sweet and the other one sour?

User Info Menu

Do you hear with your mouth?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWoods
    Do you hear with your mouth?
    I've had people say that to me.
    "You've got such bad taste, the only taste you have is in your mouth"
    David

User Info Menu

When I listen to recordings of myself, it doesn't matter what kind of stinking' chords I try to play...it all makes me sad.
    David

User Info Menu

The saddest songs I've ever heard are all in major keys.

User Info Menu

There's one Schubert lieder that shifts from minor to major and gets sadder.

User Info Menu

Every 7th chord is a combination of two triads C maj.7 is C major C E G, and E minor E G B. C to E (maj.3rd) and C to G (perf.5th) are both root definitive to C. The E minor triad. has one root definitive interval E to B. looking at and hearing our "meat and Potatoes" voicings, C B E G, the C sound as the Root. because it's reinforced by E and G. Invert this into E C G B and the B on top gives the E more power to sound as the root. You could hear it as an E minor triad with a flatted 6th. G E B C with the 5th in the bass and C, the root on top, will over power the the E, so C will sound as the root. B G C E will sound as a C major triad, and the B in the bass had better go somewhere and do something.

Rhythm also reflects emotion. A minor melody with a lively rhythm, of course is going to sound happier than a minor melody with a slower tempo and longer values to its tones.

User Info Menu

Hearing Moonlight in Vermont in 7/8 makes me sad because I know I can never pull that off.

User Info Menu

I dunno, the only chords that make me happy are power chords.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I dunno, the only chords that make me happy are power chords.
    Power cords are important for me with all electronic devices. Equally important, though, is not to overlook extension cords, especially 3 prong grounded ones.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Power cords are important for me with all electronic devices. Equally important, though, is not to overlook extension cords, especially 3 prong grounded ones.

David
    You should try to alter the extension cords for jazzier sound.

User Info Menu

A Power Chord, for example, C G C is not actually a chord. The G reinforces the two C's that are an octave apart. This creates a big fat powerful C. If the band was playing a C minor or major chord it would sure as hell reinforce it. By itself it can even indicate a chord progression. With distortion, only the simplest chords come through.

User Info Menu

That's OK. If you're a guitar player, that's all that counts with me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWoods
    A Power Chord, for example, C G C is not actually a chord.
    I tried to tell someone that and he head-butted me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I tried to tell someone that and he head-butted me.
    People who play a lot of power chords eventually become very powerful. That's why I like them!
    Last edited by Hep To The Jive; 02-25-2015 at 03:59 PM.

User Info Menu

No, I'm saying the major 3rd overtone generated by the root, mainly felt. clashes with the minor 3rd in the chord. This also diminishes the radiation of the overtones coming from the Minor Chord. A major triad sounds positive because of its overtone radiation. The minor triad, less so. Call the effect sad, pensive, or what ever,

User Info Menu

If you can't hear the difference, you have my sympathy.

User Info Menu

Is this same effect present any time we use a chord tone that is an alteration of a fundamental overtone? Does it sound pensive when we use a b5 because of this clash? Diabolus in musica?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    People who play a lot of power chords eventually become very powerful. That's why I like them!
    People who use a lot of bungee cords become very bungee. That's why I like them.
    David

User Info Menu

Do you have to stretch the truth like this??