The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

I don't know if it's in there, my teacher gave them to me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Okay, thanks.

I don’t know if upperstructure triads is the right word. But it’s like if you on Cm7 play different triads (1,3,5) starting from eb, f or bb.

Another book, The Advancing Guitarist, seem to be popular. Maybe a good way to start also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Munk
    I liked this line

I am working on some bebop tunes and the non scale approach doesn’t seem that difficult.
    Of course I have a lot to learn the next many years, but when the tempo is fast there is lot of freedom to add other notes in the arpeggio frame, use rhythmic ideas, have awareness on where impro is leading, and sometimes in even be able to predict where a new upcomming long phrase will land, or if something ugly unintended suddenly elements appears, try to make use of it in a good way.

But I think it’s much more demanding to play slow melodic impro! Yesterday I wanted to try, and picked one, which I guess is supposed to be very easy – Take the A train. Already in bar 3 I met a D7b5 challenge, which I have no arpeggio for.

Maybe I’m wrong, but if I wanted to follow a scale approach, I couldn’t even find 7b5 on Reg’s list of chords derived from common scales, major, minor, melodic minor, harmonic minor. I mean if even easy ones can not be covered through use of so many scales. I changed -7b5 arp to a major third. But to fill in other good notes than is the arp in a slow tempo, takes more time than bebop 'shredding'
    I usually play D7#11 for that one (fits the key)

7b5 fits the altered scale, or my favourite, the whole tone

7#11 - Lydian dominant usually (I'd recommend especially on a II7 chord) or again whole tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    the tri-tone scale will help with 7b5 chords..but first realize how this wonderful chord works..

D7b5 = D F# Ab C - 1 3 b5 7..and due to the tri-tone function it is also - Ab7b5 - Ab C D Gb

so in effect you now have (with inversions) 8 chord forms..scale fragments, arpeggios, and licks in all the locations of the chords

and the tri-tone scale is a very cool hexatonic addition : D Eb F# Ab A C/ 1 b2 3 b5 5 b7..nice trick is using each note of the scale as the root to begin another tri tone scale..Eb E G A Bb Db .. play with it .. very cool scale

Also-- note the diminished scale..which these 7b5 chords are built from -
    (C Eb Gb A) Dim Scale - C D Eb F Gb Ab A B / / D7b5/Ab7b5

so there are many ways to weave lines around this wonderful chord..its no wonder the early bop kings liked it so much
    I use this all the time and have heard many players use it usually as two triads
    1 3 5 b5 b7 b2 1 3 5 etc

TBH I think it's become a cliche. I've tried inverting it for variety, but hasn't yet come out on gigs. Good lick though.
    Last edited by christianm77; 02-14-2015 at 07:55 AM.

User Info Menu

This is exactly what Django Reinhardt did. I remember a Stephan Grapelley quote (hope I spelled the name right!) where Django actually said to him, "what is a scale?". Django certainly did OK,