The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

The second one is called, Geoffery, the bringer of pain.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just made the stretch on my acoustic! From this point on, they should forever be called Stowell Stretches!
    Attached Images Attached Images Is there a name for this type of chord?-hqdefault-jpg 

User Info Menu

Actually, they're intervallic voicings, as some have said. Above the staff, there's a description of the intervals contained. These type of chords are a stretch into modal and non-functional territory (although you can certainly use them in harmonically functional settings as well). The first type of these that people get acquainted with are quartal voicings, which are stacked 4ths. This is a step further where you combine two/three separate intervals and form a structure based on the notes in the mode. All the structures have names, if you want to give them one, but it's not necessary. Similar to triads, you can think of it on a scale degree basis, like I II III IV V... so on, which is what I do when I use these. You're better off just being familiar with the notes contained in the structure and the intervals inside of them, so you can go to them and get the sound you want, worrying about what to call them might be redundant and time consuming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JensL
    I think I did to some degree train my hands with Ted Green exercises. I remember them as much more difficult than thia though.

With all aspects of playing you need to listen to or be aware of your body.

Jens
    chords can be a challenge to form..some factors should be considered..action of strings..the guitar itself..acoustic / electric - the size of the frets can vary a bit..hand size-of course..and determination..ted showed me some tricks to get those real "nasty" chords..but he stressed not to strain..as in yoga..you slowly increase your flexability..it may take months to form a chord with out any strain..but it can be done..also..and this is key - the angle of the fretboard..note stowells (he states he does not have large hands)manner of holding the guitar..near vertical and very close to his chest..ted would hold his tele similar to that angle when going after some chord from hell..but he got the chord to ring clear and in tempo..which is another story after you finally get the fingering down..