The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 92 of 92

User Info Menu

Here's what I've gotten out of this thread and a bit of research...

"Pitch" is the frequency of a sound. "Note" is the name we use for a pitch.

There can be several names for the same pitch. For example, the pitch we'd usually refer to as "C" can also be named B# or Dbb. There might be reasons for using these alternative names when playing in keys with a lot of flats or sharps.

Intervals are differences between two pitches (or, more accurately ratios between their frequencies).

Under canonical music theory, interval names are based on the note names as written in the score. So it's indeed possible to get unusual interval names like double-diminished 5th (as someone mentioned earlier).

To keep things simple, most jazz musicians don't name intervals according to canonical theory. Instead, they name them as if the lower note of the interval were the tonic of a major scale. They even do this if playing a minor scale.

For example, when playing in the key of Gminor, I usually call the G to Bb interval a minor or diminished 3rd, not a 3rd.

It's good to know about the canonical naming convention, but I'll continue to follow the bandstand convention.
    Last edited by KirkP; 01-17-2015 at 07:55 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Where did you see canonical ? ...I think you simply mean a written interval
    Last edited by vhollund; 01-17-2015 at 10:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vhollund
    Where did you see canonical ? ...I think you simply mean a written interval
    I understood "canonical" to mean formal music theory,, but that might have been a poor word choice.

User Info Menu

Modern music and jazz also use about the same formal language.
    But you don't have to choose one terminology
    There's no real conflict between them, as long as you take note of the context.
    Last edited by vhollund; 01-20-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Oh man....after reading this thread it makes me think I'm so glad that I never went to formal music school....man...

User Info Menu

But still you do have enough patience to look at that video ;-)

I never had to discuss like this in school, because when everyone has the same good teachers it's hard to get it wrong
    Either you get it or you don't
    No endless discussions were necessary, and only one person with the specific teachers hat, to ask.
    ...that was before the internet so you had to wait a while for a response by post btw.

Yep... Horse messengers.
    Last edited by vhollund; 01-24-2015 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

It's all good... sorry I didn't watch the vid... but I never mind discussing music, even if most of the discussions are BS.
    It's really not that much different from playing all over... there is lots of opinions and BS also. But generally most can't BS their way through performance part, but it can be worked out.

* No references to anyone here * disclaimer
    Last edited by Reg; 01-24-2015 at 11:31 AM.

But still you do have enough patience to look at that video ;-)

I never had to discuss like this in school, because when everyone has the same good teachers it's hard to get it wrong
    Either you get it or you don't
    No endless discussions were necessary, and only one person with the specific teachers hat, to ask.
    ...that was before the internet so you had to wait a while for a response by post btw.

Yep... Horse messengers.
    Posting the video was meant in humor. I think a healthy discussion of music theory is a good thing however I only know just enough to get me in trouble.

Carry on....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKP
    Here's what I've gotten out of this thread and a bit of research...

"Pitch" is the frequency of a sound. "Note" is the name we use for a pitch.

There can be several names for the same pitch. For example, the pitch we'd usually refer to as "C" can also be named B# or Dbb. There might be reasons for using these alternative names when playing in keys with a lot of flats or sharps.

Intervals are differences between two pitches (or, more accurately ratios between their frequencies).

Under canonical music theory, interval names are based on the note names as written in the score. So it's indeed possible to get unusual interval names like double-diminished 5th (as someone mentioned earlier).

To keep things simple, most jazz musicians don't name intervals according to canonical theory. Instead, they name them as if the lower note of the interval were the tonic of a major scale. They even do this if playing a minor scale.

For example, when playing in the key of Gminor, I usually call the G to Bb interval a minor or diminished 3rd, not a 3rd.

It's good to know about the canonical naming convention, but I'll continue to follow the bandstand convention.

I'm having a little trouble following your example. G to Bb is a minor third and that's whether you're playing in G minor or not.

But it is not a diminished third. If you call it that you would simply be incorrect. No offense or anything (since everybody is getting offended about intervals), it's just the way it is. A diminished 3rd would be G to Bbb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    ... A diminished 3rd would be G to Bbb.
    Thanks for the correction. You're right!

User Info Menu

Bb is the third in g minor.

User Info Menu

Bb is the third in g minor.
    Yes indeed, the third SCALE TONE. And it is a minor third from the tonic.

perhaps you should start a thread about scale and key fundamentals.

Intervals are measured in half steps. Enharmonics notwithstanding, right vs. wrong is kind of binary here.
    Last edited by fumblefingers; 01-30-2015 at 02:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Perfect augmented and diminished intervals and major and minor intervals contextually fit into classical theory concepts.

With jazz theory you just say flat or raised.

The reason you have an raised four and a flat five is due to the relationship of chords or scales. For example take C Lydian.

C D E F# G A B C

F# is a raised four (augmented fourth).

Take a c7b5

CEGbBb

There is a flat five.

So in jazz theory it's a chicken or egg thing its where it fits that you know what to call it.

Jazz theory doesn't get to the complexity of needing to call it anything other than raised or flat. Calling it this allows allows you to think deftly.

User Info Menu

I think we still call it a "dimished 7 chord" in jazz too though.
    Last edited by vhollund; 02-05-2015 at 01:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    Yes indeed, the third SCALE TONE. And it is a minor third from the tonic.

perhaps you should start a thread about scale and key fundamentals.

Intervals are measured in half steps. Enharmonics notwithstanding, right vs. wrong is kind of binary here.
    When I say it, I think of the intervallic relation to the root.
    Maybe people who are more "scale oriented" than me think of what you say.
    It has never really presented it self to me before though, and 25 years in music is some.
    A scale is a bunch of intervals relating to a root and/or a key in my head btw.
    I was just trained that way
    Last edited by vhollund; 02-06-2015 at 01:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Where does that chord... C E Gb Bb come from... seems more whole tone than diminished, isn't in jazz circles, Cdim7 have an Eb... C Eb Gb Bbb.

Or is that C7b5 just a standard C7#11 from Melodic Min.

User Info Menu

I think it's the same most of the time even though 7b5 in theory would imply the perfect 4th and no P5...
    It depends on the context ofcourse, but...yeah : same.

I mention diminished 7, for another reason Reg
    Last edited by vhollund; 02-06-2015 at 06:42 PM.