The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18
    Hi all, does anybody know a good instruction on the rhythmic aspect of samba comping? I think I got some insights as to good voicings, but I tend to fall back into rather monotone rhythmic patterns and would like to upgrade my arsenal. Anybody who has / had the same issue?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Do you mean samba specifically or do you mean bossa nova in general? Romero Lubambo has a "Boss Nova Guitar" dvd by either Licksamples, RittorMusic, or Hal Leonard.

sorry, silly me, I am working with Sassy Samba, but mean all bossa. Thanks for the tip!

User Info Menu

There are some very good bossa / latin tutorial channels on youtube.............

https://www.youtube.com/user/LatinTabs

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCup...buwsM74_ZnQ0YA

User Info Menu

I'm no expert, but I'd highly recommend this book/CD ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brazilian-Gu.../dp/1883217024

User Info Menu

Emily Remler

User Info Menu

I would highly recommend 'The Brazilian Guitar Book' by Nelson Faria. Not only is the method and technique side of it well done but it goes a bit beyond samba into other Brazilian styles. I think it's crucial that to become a good samba player that you at least have some experience with some of the styles that came before it in the tradition.

Check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/Brazilian-Guit.../dp/1883217024

Also, I'm a big fan of Baden Powell if you're into more of the bossa nova stuff. ; )

Hope that helps.

Evan
    ---------
    evandesaulnier.com

User Info Menu

As was mentioned a few times already. Nelson Faria's book is the place to go!

Jens

User Info Menu

Pick a few tunes and lets try comping through in Brazilian style... of course we can use jazz harmony etc...

User Info Menu

The Brazilian guitar Book has lots of nice patterns.

Getting the swing right is something else.

thanks all for the helpful references... :-)

destinytot Guest
    Hi. I made this for another thread, but I'm re-posting it here. Hope it's of some use:

User Info Menu

At lease someone else has mentioned her. Nice playing

User Info Menu

I just bought the Kindle of this book, and there is no way to get the audio files.

If anyone has them and could email them to me, I'd appreciate it,

thanks

User Info Menu

Romero Lubambo does a whole online course on how to do Samba style comping - it's not too hard to get into and he explains it really well.

There are free videos on the site here:

Romero Lubambo ? The Lubambo Method | MusicGurus

He does personal lessons too if you want some feedback from him

Hope that helps..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_MG
    Romero Lubambo does a whole online course on how to do Samba style comping - it's not too hard to get into and he explains it really well.

There are free videos on the site here:

Romero Lubambo ? The Lubambo Method | MusicGurus

He does personal lessons too if you want some feedback from him

Hope that helps..

I see your name all over the forum today, are you affiliated with MusicGurus (your nickname implies you are) ?

BTW, I like Romero Lubambo a lot and have his DVDs.

User Info Menu

This is one of the songs I have taught in my website. Although it's a Bossa song I used two common patterns of Samba to play it.

User Info Menu

Hi - sorry yes I work for MusicGurus. We're trying to raise awareness of his new course and I may have got a bit carried away - we figured that this forum would be full of people who would love to learn from him!

But yes Romero is awesome. And he's a really nice guy too. I saw him most recently playing with Dianne Reeves, Peter Martin and co a few months back - great gig.

Hope you like the free lessons and feel free to get in touch anytime if you have any feedback or comments.