The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Jazz Theory: From Basic to Advanced Study : Dariusz Terefenko : 9780415537612

http://www.routledgetextbooks.com/te...12/default.php

I just discovered this publication recently, and on the surface it appears to be very good. It even has a free downloadable workbook online that seems very thorough, as well as free sound clips for the textbook examples. Does anyone out here have any experience with this text, and if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by snoskier63; 10-17-2014 at 12:47 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I agree with your initial assessment. Do you need it/want it?

what is $60 bucks?

my library cost is probably at about $6K by now. (Notice I didn't say "valued at").

User Info Menu

I've read some good philosophy books from Routledge, so I have a high regard for the publisher. I downloaded the workbook---342 pages! The textbook (in hardback) runs $180, with the paperback going for $65. Serious cash---but what you'd expect for a textbook nowadays, I guess.

I'll see if my library can get me the book through inter-library loan so I can see what I make of it. It looks thorough, but at my age that means 'lots of stuff I already know.' (Which is no knock on the book, but it's a huge factor in whether I need the book...)

Actually I do need it and want it as my knowledge of theory is weak. As for the cost, $65 for a nearly 500 page text and 300+ page workbook is a bargain. I work in healthcare, and a similar textbook pertaining to my work could easily cost over $200. I will be getting it and will pass along my review soon thereafter.

User Info Menu

Good deal man.

User Info Menu

You might just want to go to Stuart Smith's web site and download his Jazz Theory PDF, not that deep or complicated. But if your somewhere in the mid stages of understanding theory and jazz, his book will help build a simple foundation to work from. He's retired from UMass, the PDF is FREE.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    You might just want to go to Stuart Smith's web site and download his Jazz Theory PDF, not that deep or complicated. But if your somewhere in the mid stages of understanding theory and jazz, his book will help build a simple foundation to work from. He's retired from UMass, the PDF is FREE.
    I just did that, Reg. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Stuart Smith's Jazz Theory is an excellent text to elucidate basic principles of jazz harmony. Agree with Reg totally.

And you cannot beat the price.

User Info Menu

Reg, thanks! I stumbled on this thread, found the link and spent the last two hours reading the book. This will be good for me because it will give me something to work on when I am travelling for work and won't have a guitar with me! Interesting exercises will keep my brain working. Even though I'll have no one to check them it will still be good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    Actually I do need it and want it as my knowledge of theory is weak. As for the cost, $65 for a nearly 500 page text and 300+ page workbook is a bargain. I work in healthcare, and a similar textbook pertaining to my work could easily cost over $200. I will be getting it and will pass along my review soon thereafter.
    Lord Snoskier63, I humbly await your review.

Quote Originally Posted by Broyale
    Lord Snoskier63, I humbly await your review.
    No need to be so humble yet as the review is still pending, and probably won't live up to the high standards of some of those among us.

User Info Menu

the wise musicians are those who play what they can master
    well,mister the moderator,
    I'm surely not wise,cause I will play always on the extreme edge of my possibilities
    HB

User Info Menu

If it helps, here's the link to the material Reg referenced:
    http://www.cs.uml.edu/~stu/JazzTheory.pdf

Looks decent.

Thanks! I dug up that link a while ago, and it has some good material for sure. Meanwhile, the book came, and I have had a chance to go through it a bit. It is definitely a very thorough presentation of theory, but will take quite a while for me to get through. I will be having some work done on my shoulder soon and will be out of work and not able to play for a while, so that will give me time to get into it in more detail.

User Info Menu

I dig jazz theory and all the BS associated with it... I also understand jazz as well as traditional western theory... glad to help break anything down from your new theory book. Always looking for different views etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    I dig jazz theory and all the BS associated with it... I also understand jazz as well as traditional western theory... glad to help break anything down from your new theory book. Always looking for different views etc...
    Thanks, Reg. As I get into it in detail I'm sure to take you up on that offer.