The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

What are the most Uncommon Jazz chord progressions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OK, I'll bite: um... how about any progression that modulates down a half step for each successive chorus?

Think I'm wrong? Go find one!

User Info Menu

Modal jazz changes can be the most unusual because often they're written without classic functional harmony and get notated in the key of C for ease of writing and reading, but have nothing to do with C as any key center.

User Info Menu

Here's one:

D#majb9/ % (repeat 18 bars)

I bet its only been composed once. Just now. And never performed. ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguitars09
    Could be anything. Are you trying to work on soloing over unusual progressions, or just asking a trivia question? I see you posted another (related) question here on avant garde jazz, so maybe you're studying modern stuff??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Here's one:

D#majb9/ % (repeat 18 bars)

I bet its only been composed once. Just now. And never performed. ;-)
    Well, I just performed it (admittedly only for myself), and I quite liked it .
    The more you repeat it, the better it sounds.... (standard rule for all music... up to a point, that is... )

User Info Menu

Most uncommon jazz chord progression? That's an easy one!

Dmin 0 0 0 2 3 1
    G 3 2 0 0 0 3
    C 0 3 2 0 1 0

I don't think I've ever heard that one even by Sonny Sharrock and he was pretty out.
    David

User Info Menu

I rarely see someone play open G

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    I rarely see someone play open G
    Never heard of it. Part of your collection of Jedi Mind tricks?

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    Well, I just performed it (admittedly only for myself), and I quite liked it .
    The more you repeat it, the better it sounds.... (standard rule for all music... up to a point, that is... )
    Aw man, I was hoping to hold on to the record for most uncommon jazz chord progression for a few days at least. You had to go and ruin it...

;-)

User Info Menu

Probably something really weird that suggests like two Dorian modes a half step apart...that's probably never happened.

User Info Menu

I don't play a lot of modern jazz stuff, e.g. Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, or any of the more recent fusion-oriented guitar stuff.

Out of the standards I play Lush Life has some of the more complicated, unusual chord changes of any jazz song. It's a brilliant song--one can't see how the song is going to work at first glance, but it does beautifully. The Dbmaj7 to D7#11 in the second part is a completely cool touch.

Early Autumn is another one with an unusual beautiful descending progression.

I don't play them myself, but I am a big Zappa fan. Frank was a genius, many of whose more jazz-flavored songs featured some crazy chord progressions. I am reminded of my favorite lyric from the album Bongo Fury:

"The music was… thud like. The music was… thud like.
    I usually played such things as rough-neck and thug.
    Opaque melodies that would bug most people.
    Music from the other side of the fence."
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 09-25-2014 at 05:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Probably something really weird that suggests like two Dorian modes a half step apart...that's probably never happened.
    maybe not but so what ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguitars09
    a ii chord going to a II7 chord
    can't think of a song like that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. Beaumont
    probably something really weird that suggests like two dorian modes a half step apart...that's probably never happened.
    LOL

Or maybe a dom7 chord going to min7 on the same root, and back...
    Last edited by JonR; 09-26-2014 at 04:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    maybe not but so what ?
    pingu, I get the impression that you know your jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    LOL

Or maybe a dom7 chord going to min7 on the same root, and back...
    This is starting to give me the Blues

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    pingu, I get the impression that you know your jazz.
    a little but not like the real McCoy !

User Info Menu

If there was any crazy chord progression out there I'm sure Monk used it in a song...

User Info Menu

Any progressions or major or minor triads without a 7th and or a ninth but with a lot of first and 2nd inversions. Jazz people just can't resist the 7th.

User Info Menu

Giant Steps is tough for me, can't follow the changes so well as, for example, Horace Silver "Peace" which is complicated but logical imho.

User Info Menu

Nice tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    a little but not like the real McCoy !
    Not sure about that. You seem to be miles ahead of everyone else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Takemitsu
    Any progressions or major or minor triads without a 7th and or a ninth but with a lot of first and 2nd inversions. Jazz people just can't resist the 7th.
    metheny ?

User Info Menu

Any progression works as long as there's something holding it together that validates it.
    So I guess there must be trillions of uncommon progressions, some of those being all the ones that have never been used in a tune!

Here, I wrote one for you. I mixed "common" progressions with ones that have never been used before (as far as I know) and use the melody to "validate".
    Analyze it and let me know if you find any Jazz tunes with the progressions I used here

http://mdecks.com/uncommonexample/th...haveforyou.pdf

http://mdecks.com/uncommonexample/th...haveforyou.mp3