The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 94

User Info Menu

Eb Maj, C minor, or F dorian on his solo...or all the above??

Tx, Sailor

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

G phrygian?

User Info Menu

I would say dorian with a blues approach, sometimes he adds the melodic mode (major 7th), maybe I'm wrong... And underlines the 9th and the 6th in order not to sound too pentatonic or bluesy.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    G phrygian?
    come on man...

sailor

I better not even ask about the changes....LOL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor
    come on man...

sailor
    Why not ? He plays so many times the 9th !

the 9th of Eb or the root of Fdorian?

User Info Menu

Maybe the 3rd of the locryan mode...
    Maybe chromatic, this is the best answer !!!

User Info Menu

Sailor, my country is not allowed to view this video...what are the chords? What key is the tune in?

Your answer is in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sailor, my country is not allowed to view this video...
    What a lucky guy you are !!! Your country protects you from that !!!

Key...Eb. Vamp is AbM7 - Gm 7. Sounds F dorian to me though...as well as C minor Pentatonic.

Mr. B.....we live in same country!

sailor (america)

User Info Menu

Without being a smart ass at all...Ab Lydian?

I'm on my phone here...got two kids sleeping on me...phone says "no" to this one in America.

User Info Menu

With my A 415 Hz, it sounds F# dorian !
    Why people are laughing at me here ?

not available on my iphone either...just desktop

User Info Menu

I was expecting Grant to play the form, rather than go into the extended vamp.

User Info Menu

Here are the changes:
    Code:
    F-7    | G-7  | F-7    | G-7  | Bb-7      | C-7     F   | G            | G        |

Abmaj7 | G-7  | Abmaj7 | G-7  | Abmaj7    | G-7  . . .  | C-7     C-6  | C-6     :||

Abmaj7 | G-7  | Abmaj7 | G-7  | C-7  G-7  | Abmaj7  Bb  | Abmaj7  G-7  | F-7  Bb  ||

Abmaj7 | G-7  | Abmaj7 | G-7  | Abmaj7    | G-7  . . .  | C-7     C-6  | C-6      ||
    Solos ...
    Code:
    ||: F-7(9)  | Bb/C  :||

YES...me too. GG plays the form over My Fav Things with Sonny Clark. In another version he plays vamp, like Coltrane.

Love his funky simple playing so much!!

Still can't figure out basic tonality....would you say F Dorian???

Tx, Sailor

User Info Menu

YES...me too. GG plays the form over My Fav Things with Sonny Clark. In another version he plays vamp, like Coltrane.

Love his funky simple playing so much!!

Still can't figure out basic tonality....would you say F Dorian???

Tx, Sailor
    Yes, F dorian for the solo...
    F minor for the chords progression, 4 flats in the key if you want classical terms but it's really modal.
    You can play F dorian all over the chords progression except on Bb - 7...
    On G it can sound, like in kind of blue, phrygian mode on a Dominant 7th chord.

User Info Menu

Ok, at a desktop. Yeah, F Dorian for the vamp...Sailor, why you messing with me--the vamp is essentially F- to G-(classic Dorian vamp, grab an Allman Brothers record)...not Abmaj7 to G- and that tune is most definitely not in Eb major!!!

I'll post changes I bought tonite...definitely Eb Major....hence F Dorian. Hey Mr. B.....I'd never mess with you
    you've always been a huge help.

M-ster says solos are over a F-m7, Bb/C vamp....?

I think the written Vamp I have is AbM7, Gm....I'll post later...same as F-, G- though....right??

Tx Sailor

User Info Menu

Not really. Same pool of notes, but the strong ones change.

User Info Menu

... M-ster says solos are over a F-m7, Bb/C vamp....?

I think the written Vamp I have is AbM7, Gm ...
    I think the original pop version was Abmaj7 | G-7, but I took the changes I posted right from Sailor's YT vid -- and the bassist is playing F to C under the vamp. (Y'all ain't listening to the bassist?)

So, it's more like Abmaj7/F to G-7/C. I said F-7(9) to Bb/C, earlier, trying to simplify. Essentially the same thing, right? But, it's F to C in the bass.

And, the key signature is basically 3 flats (not 4). The Bb-7, Fmaj and Gmaj are outside the key center, granted, but check the melody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    I think the original pop version was Abmaj7 | G-7, but I took the changes I posted right from Sailor's YT vid -- and the bassist is playing F to C under the vamp. (Y'all ain't listening to the bassist?)

So, it's more like Abmaj7/F to G-7/C. I said F-7(9) to Bb/C, earlier, trying to simplify. Essentially the same thing, right? But, it's F to C in the bass.

And, the key signature is basically 3 flats (not 4). The Bb-7, Fmaj and Gmaj are outside the key center, granted, but check the melody.
    3 flats mean C minor, 4 flats F minor but in a modal context, putting nothing is better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    3 flats mean C minor ...
    You are correct, this is C minor. Listen to when the melody resolves. Check the chords where the phrases end.

Just trying to help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    You are correct, this is C minor. Listen to when the melody resolves. Check the chords where the phrases end.

Just trying to help.
    You're absolutely right ! I didn't listened to the head properly...
    The solo is on the IV degree, it makes a kind of suspensive climax, I don't know how to explain it.