The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

I don't have perfect pitch at all - if you asked me to sing a Bb flat with no reference note I'd have no idea.

But my command of relative pitch has improved enormously over the years, both in terms of identifying intervals/chord types and being able to sing intervals in relation to a reference pitch.

Some of this came about through ear training, transcription, and simply working out what I heard in my head. I also did some work with the David Burge relative pitch course, which helped a great deal. In fact I should go back to this and complete it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

quick straw poll....

if i played you a note , any old note unnamed
    and asked you to sing a minor third above it
    how many of us could do it ?

User Info Menu

Every musician should be able to this. If you can't, you're tone deaf and not a musician yet....or you're a drummer.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 09-15-2013 at 08:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Every musician should be able to this. If you can't, you're tone deaf and not a musician yet....or you're a drummer.
    So then . . . drummers are not musicians? Drummers are tone deaf?

You may want to rethink your post.?.?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    So then . . . drummers are not musicians? Drummers are tone deaf?

You may want to rethink your post.?.?
    Why? Drummers are just oafish clods beating something with sticks. That's why they're the first to be replaced by machines. I certainly hope nobody else mistook my prior comment as humour...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Why? Drummers are just oafish clods beating something with sticks. That's why they're the first to be replaced by machines. I certainly hope nobody else mistook my prior comment as humour...
    I . . . on the other hand, hope that that your prior post/comment was in fact humor. I'd hate to think you were actually serious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    I . . . on the other hand, hope that that your prior post/comment was in fact humor. I'd hate to think you were actually serious.
    Actually, some of the best musicians I ever met were drummers, but let's not derail the thread.

As far as being tone deaf, every music educator I ever discussed this with said it is just uneducated ears and can be overcome with music training, unless it's an actual brain disorder.

I never met a musician who regretted not having perfect pitch, and considered lack of it was any type of musical liability.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=cosmic gumbo;360194]Actually, some of the best musicians I ever met were drummers,

but let's not derail the thread.
    LOLOL. You mean by stating that "drummers are just oafish clods beating something with sticks"??

I wouldn't think of derailing the thread by stating something like that. Would you??

User Info Menu

Put yourselves on the spot!

Interval Ear Training