The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 65

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brwnhornet59
    I am still digging it my friend. Many interesting points and not at all hard to follow, when I am fully awake that is!!

Good to know- A little black tea or coffee and there ya go!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Do you mind if I post your book for sale on a few forums that I participate in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mississippi
    Do you mind if I post your book for sale on a few forums that I participate in.
    That'd be great! You can pull any info you like from my site or Matt's review. I'll email you a copy of the PDF book file as a gift of appreciation too. Thanks!!

User Info Menu

I am posting it on f/b to Jonny. Do you belong?

User Info Menu

Here's the latest update on what became my work in progress... The 2012 fully-revised edition is in print and ready for download!

http://jonnypac.weebly.com/download-...-the-book.html

I first released what I now call the "beta version" of Chord-Scale Theory and Linear Harmony for Guitar in late 2010. It was based on over a decade of private study and self-education. I created and compiled many diagrams and charts for myself and my students that illustrated various ways of thinking about the fretboard that allow for both a deep understanding of the underlying elements, and some useful tips for "thinking on the fly" in improvisation-based situations.

I found that the central concepts of "chord-scale theory" are not only applicable to jazz, but most current genres (rock, pop, indie, folk, country, etc). Therefore, I consider chord-scale theory to be as much of a "rock theory" or "country theory" as it is a "jazz theory" (from which it was originally based). "Chord-scale theory" has no particular "sound" of its own, yet it can be employed to create (or recreate) the characteristic sounds of any genre. As a modern compositional tool, it can be a very inspiring approach with which one can create progressions, arrangements, and complete songs in functional or modal frameworks. As an improvisational tool, it allows for one to think of "pools of notes" (and subsequent tonal hierarchies) from which one can readily choose the "right" notes and voicings in real-time.

Chord-scale theory often takes a "big picture" view, seeing chords (especially large extended ones) and scales (subsets) as two forms of the same thing. Though this view is valid enough, it tends to leave a lack of explanation regarding many of the gritty details evident in all styles of music. Many of these details are better explained via "linear harmony"- the study of harmony and melody in motion (both elements hugely affected by rhythm and phrasing). This view is an improvement on the static "vertical" analysis of melodies against their corresponding chords. By integrating the "pools of notes" signature of chord-scale theory with the voice-leading, melodic devices, and phrasing addressed in "linear harmony", I am confident that a musician can feel empowered by an understanding that can guide his/her intuition to a high level of creative self-expression.

After the initial release of the book, I received a lot of very positive feedback on my work and enjoyed corresponding with the readers who felt inclined to write. Around the same time, I also began to run into some veteran "CST haters", who heatedly discussed the oversights and pitfalls of the certain prominent educators in the field of chord-scale theory (not me, mind you). At first, I was taken aback, but soon learned to see it as an opportunity to refine my own understanding and book for the better. I began to read countless online articles, blogs, and threads, and studied the works of Bert Ligon, Hal Galper, Robert Rawlins, Matthew Warnock, Keith Waters, and many other contemporary educator/authors who are highly regarded. After a year of reevaluating the "Levine" school of thought (which I originally subscribed to in the year 2000) and some of my own "homegrown" ideas, I feel like I have a clearer overview of the current "jazz theory zeitgeist" (especially as it relates to the guitarist community). With this mindset, I fully edited and revised my book to meet the needs and high standards of the modern student to the best of my ability.

The book is designed primarily for the layman interested in self-study. It is written in a friendly easy-to-follow manner made for practical application. There are combinations of fretboard diagrams, charts, guitar TAB, and notation on almost every page. It is also set up well for use as a quick reference book for those already savvy with the material.

I print the book in small quantities, and ship orders as quickly as possible. The above-mentioned fully revised edition is shipping and available for download now. I will do my absolute best to ensure buyers a quality product. Customers are free to contact me if they have any customer-service needs or other questions. Upon request, I will gladly send the newly revised edition to any customers who bought the book prior to 2012 with a proof of purchase.
    Last edited by JonnyPac; 06-05-2012 at 07:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jonny. I received it a few minutes ago.

User Info Menu

Great! Let me know how you like it. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Guitar International's e-book store now features my book! Check it out here!

Guitar International eStore | GuitarInternational.com

Big Thanks to Matt Warnock (his book is also available there along with lots of other great stuff).

User Info Menu

My site allows major credit cards. Click Buy Now and then go to the "guest" on the Paypal page. From there you can use your credit easily. The download is easy too. Thanks!

Let me know if you have any questions.

I bought the ebook. Very good job. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Thanks! I hope you dig it.

User Info Menu

Great stuff Jonny. I read a chunk everyday before practice!

User Info Menu

Looks interesting ... I ordered a hard copy via Amazon today. I'll give it a whirl.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doveman
    Looks interesting ... I ordered a hard copy via Amazon today. I'll give it a whirl.
    Hope you like it. Thanks. PM me with an email address if you want the PDF too. No charge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyPac
    Hope you like it. Thanks. PM me with an email address if you want the PDF too. No charge.

Thanks for the PDF. Looked at it last night and it's "jam packed" full of good material. It will take a while to process but it looks like a good purchase. I have a hard copy coming from Amazon with a couple of other goodies that I ordered yesterday. But it was good to give it a quick browse last night.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Thanks- It is a bit jam-packed! I was really hoping to make a slim volume of fretboard diagrams, interval charts, and such with the basic building blocks of harmony described without excessive exercises or examples that would alienate non-jazz guitarists, and fit it in 100 pages- It's tight!

I really do believe that "jazz theory" is a great pop or rock theory, etc. I use CST thinking and such for funk, country, post-rock and whatever other modern genres I fiddle with, and it works very well- In fact, I just think of genres as different limited palettes of harmonic, melodic, rhythmic colors. Jazz is just very colorful and filled with variety!

Anyway- let me know how you like it as you go along. I'm always around these forums to answer questions and discuss ideas.

User Info Menu

Great stuff Jonny. I read a chunk everyday before practice!
    That's way cool! What pages are you on?

User Info Menu

Cute book promo image from guitar international!

User Info Menu

received the hard copy from Amazon today ... study begins

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doveman
    received the hard copy from Amazon today ... study begins
    Cool. I'm glad it shipped fine. Keep in touch if you have any questions. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Just got a cool little review from Dogbite from AAJ!

"Chord-Scale Theory and Linear Harmony for Guitar is a complete guide for the intermediate to advanced guitarist, including extensive fretboard diagrams of scales and arpeggios as well as thorough explanations of tertiary and quartal harmony. For teachers and students alike, this book will prove a valuable addition to any guitarists curriculum."

-Schell Barkley, co-author of Modalogy (with Jeff Brent), and author of The Scale Book
    Last edited by JonnyPac; 01-06-2012 at 04:36 AM.

User Info Menu

EXCELLENT!!! Well deserved!

Last edited by brwnhornet59; 01-06-2012 at 09:40 PM.

User Info Menu

EXCELLEN!! Well deserved!

Thanks, bro!

User Info Menu

Just bought it. Worth every penny! Thanks Jonny!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    Just bought it. Worth every penny! Thanks Jonny!
    Thank you so much! I hope you get a lot out of it.