The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Max,

I would read that as G7#9 every time. I have seen G9+ for an augmented chord, problem is with consistency and uniformity. I guess the most important thing is awareness and flexibility.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I agree with Gitarguy... the symbol should be placed before the target. Check out the chord symbols guide in front of all Shur fake books, pretty good example of thought out system. That being said I have gigs where I read all the time... There's nothing universal... I use my ears and wisdom... what little I have ... Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    That being said I have gigs where I read all the time... There's nothing universal...
    And that's exactly the problem we face. After a while you get used to seeing something different on every chart, and the fact that any given chord is likely to be written down in 5 or 6 different ways.

User Info Menu

Yes and No... for the majority of the time charts are pretty good, they don't stand out. It's just the bad ones get all our attention... I don't usually have problems... like you said we understand what's implied...and most of the time by the second or third time through a chart ... we don't need it anymore. And besides I need something to bitch about besides my playing...

User Info Menu

And besides I need something to bitch about besides my playing...
    I don't gripe about the horns when they play out of tune, and they don't gripe about the chords I mess up.

User Info Menu

I love getting on alto players shit....

User Info Menu

I love getting on alto players shit....
    Well, it depends...not everyone has a sense of humor. In any case, our system seems to work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitarguy
    Well, it depends...not everyone has a sense of humor. In any case, our system seems to work.
    That is the truth...

User Info Menu

There are many methods to imply what harmonic area the composer/arranger wants... when one wants a specific voicing... you notate it out, when one wants a specific lead line you notate it out. If your writing for a specialized group, you use their notation. It's part of the job to be aware of stylized notation... Piano as compared to guitar slash chords as compared to standard inversions. There is no standardizes system in use. The closest we have is "Standard Chord Symbol Notation" by Carl Brandt and Clinton Roemer from the mid 70's, which is used by many. It has problems with calling b13 a #5, but still is the best published system in use. I think I'll put one together with explanation of why and how labeling works, with sections of stylizes examples... that sound fun
    I'll look forward to seeing that.