The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 106

User Info Menu

There are 6 volumes. I got tired of trying to read scrubby lead sheets on google image for the standards thread. I already had volumes 1-3 but 1 is all jacked up after my dog ate it. So I ordered volumes 1 and 4-6.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I often joke about method books, but I am a real sucker for fakebooks/real books.

They're a great resource, if you know how to use them.

And that should hopefully be enough to wake up the "BURN YOUR REAL BOOKS" crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I often joke about method books, but I am a real sucker for fakebooks/real books.
    Yeah no, I'm so done with method books. I'll never buy another one. I can absorb a new concept in a few minutes on youtube. The bottleneck is actually working stuff out, there's no shortage of learning concepts.

And that should hopefully be enough to wake up the "BURN YOUR REAL BOOKS" crowd.
    Oh dear. Bro, I can't hear all those chords. I just can't. I can lift licks fine, but I need my lead sheets and don't want to learn tunes all jacked up. I'm trying to work up to being able to hear the harmony accurately.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 05-01-2024 at 04:02 PM.

User Info Menu

If you get stuck for a tune, ask the dog

User Info Menu

i like real books.
    I like the feeling.... you open it in the middle of nowhere and dive in...

The feeling of having them aroud is nice.

User Info Menu

Got all 6 of the new Real Books, too, plus still have volumes 1 & 2 of the unofficial RBs from my work-a-day musician days during in the 1980s. Being in Japan, I also have both volumes of the Jazz Standard Bible and the now out of print Handbook of Jazz Standards and the Jam Session Handbook, not to mention a host of other very useful songbooks.

Though I have many, I rarely use method books these days.

As a frequent participant at open jam sessions in several local venues, to me the songbooks are indispensable. The handy versions of both JSBs are always in my case. I see songbooks as a common ground among friends and strangers alike, from which we can gather to spontaneously enjoy playing jazz together. If I want to play a new tune, others can join, and this is reciprocal.

I’ve also come to agree with those who’ve always said that everything you need to know is in the tunes. Recordings are crucial, of course, and when working on a new tune I try to listen to 10 versions, old and new, to see how others approach it. But on the jam session bandstand the songbooks are the arbiters to spark interaction.

I just ordered all the Real Books lol-img_6808-jpgI just ordered all the Real Books lol-img_6806-jpegI just ordered all the Real Books lol-img_6805-jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
    i like real books.
    I like the feeling.... you open it in the middle of nowhere and dive in...

The feeling of having them aroud is nice.
    It is a nice feeling. The rich jazz tunes and tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd View Post
    I see songbooks as a common ground among friends and strangers alike, from which we can gather to spontaneously enjoy playing jazz together.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    If you get stuck for a tune, ask the dog.
    Wat
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 05-01-2024 at 08:05 PM.

User Info Menu

I want to shell out at some point for the Sher ones that have the arrangements and stuff in them. Those I think are worth the money.

EDIT: New Real Books

^ Yep. I like working out of my Monk fake book where it'll have his inner parts below the melody, or just have stuff in full piano score.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
    ^ Yep. I like working out of my Monk fake book where it'll have his inner parts below the melody, or just have stuff in full piano score.
    Oh yeah I have the monk one with the red cover. That one’s excellent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    I want to shell out at some point for the Sher ones that have the arrangements and stuff in them. Those I think are worth the money.

EDIT: New Real Books
    Do you mean the Sher "Real Easy Book" ?

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Do you mean the Sher "Real Easy Book" ?

Doug
    Hey man! What are you trying to say??

https://www.shermusic.com/new/0961470143.shtml

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    If you get stuck for a tune, ask the dog
    The dog had the right idea - internalize those songs.

User Info Menu

There are 6 volumes. I got tired of trying to read scrubby lead sheets on google image for the standards thread. I already had volumes 1-3 but 1 is all jacked up after my dog ate it. So I ordered volumes 1 and 4-6.
    What instrument does your dog play?

I didn't even know there were 6 real books... where did you buy them? Looks like they're on sale now at Amazon.
    Last edited by Mick-7; 05-02-2024 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    What instrument does your dog play?
    He doesn't play an instrument but he likes music. He looks relaxed and soothed when I'm playing.

I didn't even know there were 6 real books.
    Yeah there are hella Real Books. Hopefully they will have all the tunes I need so I don't have to scrum around for them anymore.

Where did you buy them? Looks like they're on sale now at Amazon.
    I got them on ebay. Maybe I should have used amazon. Oh well.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 05-02-2024 at 04:49 AM.

User Info Menu

What do they say the first chord in Stella is? Just to be controversial :-)

E half dim. Is that bad?

User Info Menu

E half dim. Is that bad?
    50% of it is, yes.

He (my dog) doesn't play an instrument but he likes music.
    No musical talent, huh?

Well, as Groucho Marx once said: "Outside of a dog, a book is your best friend, and inside of a dog, it's too dark to read"

I had a cat (pictured in my avatar) who played bongos, it started shortly after he brought this LP home, no idea where he got it, no beatniks live nearby.

I just ordered all the Real Books lol-bongos-1-jpg

Do the paperback Real books sold online include backing tracks one can download, or must you purchase them separately?

User Info Menu

Nonsense, if I did that what I do if I wanted to practice sight reading obscure Denny Zeitlin tunes?

I’m a big fan of the old real book. I just wish it had less standards in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

E half dim. Is that bad?
    If the bass is thinking Db, I like

Dbm6#5
    Db Bb E A
    9x8910x

If the bass is thinking E, I like to
    substitute this shift for first chord

Em11
    xx5775
    G D F# A

to

A7b13/E
    xx5665
    G C# F A

User Info Menu

E half dim. Is that bad?
    Yes v bad. U r bad. You have been reported.

User Info Menu

The acceptable answers are

1) C#m7b5
    2) Dbo7(addb13)
    3) Eo7

For various reasons. You’ll get points for any of them.

You could also say
    1) Bbo7

All of these translate into Miles = bad

User Info Menu

I am glad to read this from you, Jeff. I always enjoy your playing and take heart much of your posts. The "burn your real books" stuff sometimes makes me feel as if the Real Books are a "guilty pleasure". I use them to play chord melody from. I don't end up using all their chords since I (as anybody else would) have my own "grips" and favorite subs. So the Real Books are a guide.

However, that said, I really like the changes in the Real Christmas Book.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
    I am glad to read this from you, Jeff. I always enjoy your playing and take heart much of your posts. The "burn your real books" stuff sometimes makes me feel as if the Real Books are a "guilty pleasure". I use them to play chord melody from. I don't end up using all their chords since I (as anybody else would) have my own "grips" and favorite subs. So the Real Books are a guide.

However, that said, I really like the changes in the Real Christmas Book.

Tony
    Yeah, it's just that some people treat them as the definitive answer, and don't research the songs they're learning...with today's technology and access, there's no excuse not to.

But Real Books are still a great resource. Sometimes I find tunes I want to learn just by flipping through a book.