The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Posts 376 to 400 of 412

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post

"Smile!" They said. "Don't look!" They said. "It'll be fine, even better!" They said.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Here’s a guide tone line thing. I practice with this a lot. Stole (and subsequently bastardized) it from the Connecting Chords w Linear Harmony outlines.

Heres this:

Dropbox - Guide Tone Lines (same note) - Score.pdf - Simplify your life

User Info Menu

So today nursed it up to 185 and have started working with the whole tune. Used the Bugera PS1 to link the Princeton Reverb to the recording box so as not to upset office neighbors!
    Also: I have an almost irresistible urge to play something in the middle of those two rest measures, even if just as a joke. Anyone else feel this?

User Info Menu

Don't forget to smile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

So today nursed it up to 185 and have started working with the whole tune. Used the Bugera PS1 to link the Princeton Reverb to the recording box so as not to upset office neighbors!
    Also: I have an almost irresistible urge to play something in the middle of those two rest measures, even if just as a joke. Anyone else feel this?
    I usually put a chord in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Except in orchestral work where you can’t look at the music either because you’re meant to be looking at the conductor….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I noticed MM filled the space with some melody.

User Info Menu

Gotta play a C7#9!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Gotta play a C7#9!
    This is non-negotiable

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
    I noticed MM filled the space with some melody.
    MM hates space.

User Info Menu

I worked ahead a bit, because I'm going to need some time to pull this together...

Some necessary pinky in here, imho.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    MM hates space.
    Lol!

User Info Menu

So who is MM?

User Info Menu

Mancuso.

I don't think he hates space. He's just a minimalist when it comes to using it

User Info Menu

Thanks for working out and sharing!

User Info Menu

So here's my think-through of the last section of the tune. I find the last section much easier than the earlier lines.

User Info Menu

Kinda sorta got it up to 190 bpm, which is a happy start to the week.

User Info Menu

That's awesome . I'm nowhere near your level. That chord in the gap..what if you hit it twice?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old Nick View Post
    That's awesome . I'm nowhere near your level. That chord in the gap..what if you hit it twice?
    Well you have two measures of rest there, so you could do it twice, or play something else. Most agree it needs to be a C7altered chord of some sort. Or you can play nothing.

I'm finding my best progress comes on Monday's when I have gone one, sometimes two days without playing the tune. Seems like my mind resets to the best pace I reached the week before.

User Info Menu

Good progress, 190bpm is nearly 200bpm, wow.

I'm at 130-40bpm.

Does anyone know what bars we are learning this week?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden View Post
    Good progress, 190bpm is nearly 200bpm, wow.

I'm at 130-40bpm.

Does anyone know what bars we are learning this week?
    I think it might be 20-24 or 25-28. The tune gets way easier in the last few lines.

User Info Menu

Finally made it to 200 bpm! I hit it yesterday but couldn't play it reliably. Today without any warm up or build up, I just fired up the gear and rolled "tape" and got several takes at 200. I put 2 on here, but they're really similar so only listen to both if you want.
    For the curious, I'm using an Epiphone Zephyr Regent Re-Issue (ES165 clone) that has a Seymour Duncan PhatCat pickup. That's a P90 in a humbucker form factor. The amp is a Princeton Reverb Re-issue with a 12" speaker, but the recording is direct using a Bugera PS1 Power Soak. If you're wondering about using something like this on your tube amp, I can say I really like it once I figured out how it actually works. Does a great job capturing the tube amp's tone without breaking the windows out of the building.

User Info Menu

I decided to try playing this in some other keys, starting with C. This was fairly easy because I had room to move up my fingerings from Ab.

This is a sloppy 190, but I'm not giving up on this tempo barrier that I seem to have.

Next I will try F which I imagine will be more difficult.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post

Finally made it to 200 bpm! I hit it yesterday but couldn't play it reliably. Today without any warm up or build up, I just fired up the gear and rolled "tape" and got several takes at 200. I put 2 on here, but they're really similar so only listen to both if you want.
    For the curious, I'm using an Epiphone Zephyr Regent Re-Issue (ES165 clone) that has a Seymour Duncan PhatCat pickup. That's a P90 in a humbucker form factor. The amp is a Princeton Reverb Re-issue with a 12" speaker, but the recording is direct using a Bugera PS1 Power Soak. If you're wondering about using something like this on your tube amp, I can say I really like it once I figured out how it actually works. Does a great job capturing the tube amp's tone without breaking the windows out of the building.
    Great job! Soon you will at legit bop tempos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop View Post
    Great job! Soon you will at legit bop tempos.
    It kind of reminds me of hiking in the high mountains of Colorado. You see a summit ahead and think you're at the top, then as you move onto it, you realize it's a "false summit" and only a step up towards the real summit.