The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 283

User Info Menu

I mean a lot of guitar music doesn’t work in position either…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Learned it by reading bar 8, then 7…. It was pretty pleasant that way.

In the measure with the Bb-7 chord, 4th note, you're playing a D natural and it needs to be a Db. You got me thinking about playing it an octave higher than what I've been doing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    In the measure with the Bb-7 chord, 4th note, you're playing a D natural and it needs to be a Db. You got me thinking about playing it an octave higher than what I've been doing.
    Oh, right, there is a bar line at the enclosure. Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

Behold, I gift you with my brain-facts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    I mean a lot of guitar music doesn’t work in position either.
    The only rule I've found that works well for guitar fingerings is the "5 fret rule," i.e., cover a 5 fret span with your index finger and pinky, and you could slide up or down with your index finger (or with your pinky a la Allan Holdsworth). So this would mean you really only have about 3 positions on the fretboard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    The only rule I've found that works well for guitar fingerings is the "5 fret rule," i.e., cover a 5 fret span with your index finger and pinky, and you could slide up or down with your index finger. So this would mean you really only have about 3 positions on the fretboard.
    These are positions.

The UNT (and probably Berklee) definitions of “position” is the fret behind your middle finger. The pinkie can cheat forward one feet and the index finger can cheat backward.

And you end up with twelve positions, I think. You could cover the neck with three or so, but you’d still get different fingerings every time you move up a fret.

(yes, this is too many positions, and no I don’t use them this way.)

User Info Menu

CAGED for life. Don't harden simple things.

User Info Menu

There's other seven positions, or one position (the whole neck), or any number in between.

Or maybe more positions if we do the one octave thing.

The more ways you have of doing things, the better.

I have a preference for bop though,

User Info Menu

CAGED for life. Don't harden simple things.
    Thats basically what I use too. Theres a sixth scale position I like too, but beyond that it’s a bit much

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    These are positions.

The UNT (and probably Berklee) definitions of “position” is the fret behind your middle finger. The pinkie can cheat forward one feet and the index finger can cheat backward.

And you end up with twelve positions, I think. You could cover the neck with three or so, but you’d still get different fingerings every time you move up a fret.

(yes, this is too many positions, and no I don’t use them this way.)
    With the 5 fret grip, you can play a scale from the first to 12 frets with 4 positions.

"you’d still get different fingerings every time you move up a fret"

Not many, much fewer fingerings than say the CAGED positions. I could post some examples.

User Info Menu

These are positions.

The UNT (and probably Berklee) definitions of “position” is the fret behind your middle finger.
    I've learned that the position is named after where the index finger is placed. Looks like that there are also other definitions on the start.

User Info Menu

Here’s a position for you.

User Info Menu

Actually, the entire 4 bars could be played in the first position if you use open strings but it may sound country especially if you're playing a Tele.

User Info Menu

I don’t do open strings. They confuse me.

User Info Menu

All this talk about fingering and positions... sheesh... makes me feel a little squirrelly.
    BUT I have decided to change up ow I play measures 5-8 since it seems to be hanging me up and I see nobody else using the fingering I use, so why not?

User Info Menu

Why not try it as a Bossa Nova? Coming soon to an elevator or dentist's office near you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Here’s a position for you.

I think you’ve put in an extra note near the beginning

User Info Menu

Behold, I gift you with my brain-facts

A sword day! A red day! Ere the sun rises!

User Info Menu

I don’t do open strings. They confuse me.
    But the thing is, I realized after playing it in the first position with open strings that Ab is the toughest key to play this tune in.

I mean, duh!, I should have transposed it to a different key first and compared fingerings, because in every other key it can be played almost entirely in one position.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    But the thing is, I realized after playing it in the first position with open strings that Ab is the toughest key to play this tune in.

I mean, duh!, I should have transposed it to a different key first and compared fingerings, because in every other key it can be played almost entirely in one position.
    I’ve found with the 5 positions and not using open strings, the key doesn’t matter. Put up a clip of you doing it country style with open strings. I’d be interested to hear it. I always like when Chet Atkins took a standard to a country key.

User Info Menu

A sword day! A red day! Ere the sun rises!
    Which he says just after he rips a more epic chorus on Donna Lee than any mortal man had heard before. At least I think that’s what happens, it’s been twenty years.

User Info Menu

Which he says just after he rips a more epic chorus on Donna Lee than any mortal man had heard before. At least I think that’s what happens, it’s been twenty years.

Thats after he rides down the line of screaming jazzers, clattering his broadsword off their spears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Why not try it as a Bossa Nova? Coming soon to an elevator or dentist's office near you!
    Dindi Lee?

User Info Menu

I think you’ve put in an extra note near the beginning

Thats quite likely. I’m learning this by reading and memorizing. phonetically.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Thats after he rides down the line of screaming jazzers, clattering his broadsword off their spears.
    jazz was so much more vibey in the old days… wouldn’t get Berklee grads doing that.