The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 229

User Info Menu

Here we will be working on Donna Lee.

Four bars a week. I’ll post later with the first four. Anyone else is welcome to start in the meantime — we’re talking:

1. fingerings
    2. articulation
    3. analysis
    4. vocabulary
    5. whatever else

Awesome.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great idea...

And now I'll make a suggestion...4 bars at a time, or should we think more in terms of phrases? Or just leave it up to whoever is participating?

User Info Menu

My rationale was 4 bars a week, 32 bar tune, 8 week commitment. I have not played the tune so I don't know how the lines lay and if we should have a loose definition of 4 bars to complete phrases. LIke, the pickup in bar 0, that should count for the first 4 bars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    My rationale was 4 bars a week, 32 bar tune, 8 week commitment. I have not played the tune so I don't know how the lines lay and if we should have a loose definition of 4 bars to complete phrases. LIke, the pickup in bar 0, that should count for the first 4 bars.
    Works for me. I'm definitely in.

User Info Menu

Some years ago I analyzed the head and extracted a series of chord specific licks that covered the whole head. If you orient the licks to the chord of the moment, there are a relatively small number of licks. It's a good head to mine for this purpose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Great idea...

And now I'll make a suggestion...4 bars at a time, or should we think more in terms of phrases? Or just leave it up to whoever is participating?
    It can depend on the tune and on the section … in this case we’ve got probably the beginning to beat one of m4, with the second phrase starting on the last beat of m4, yes?

User Info Menu

Yeah, that's a good plan. Not sure why I thought there was a pickup on this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images Bebop heads: Donna Lee-screenshot-2024-04-18-12-19-51-png 
    Last edited by AllanAllen; 04-19-2024 at 09:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    It can depend on the tune and on the section … in this case we’ve got probably the beginning to beat one of m4, with the second phrase starting on the last beat of m4, yes?
    After messing with it for a few minutes during lunch that seems to make the most sense.

User Info Menu

I'm in. I already know the tune, but would love to work along with you all thinking about how to play it best. We're posting clips for each segment?

User Info Menu

Guess what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here's my lunch break musings...

User Info Menu

Christian — no one’s going to guess.

User Info Menu

here’s my try. Different fingering from Jeff at bar 3.

https://youtu.be/EP8sERdi0Zc?si=8NHtvMJX4SNab4k_

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Christian — no one’s going to guess.
    #hehasavideo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    #hehasavideo

Sir, this is too many of the bars... I'm going to need you to go back and edit out anything about bars 5 through 32.

Kidding, but I am glad to hear I'll get Back Home Again in Indiana out of this study. Always liked that tune.

User Info Menu

Here’s mine.

User Info Menu

Here's my first four measures, played slowly about 140 bpm. This is my brand new Cordoba Stage nylon-stringed amplified guitar. Played through a Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb, direct to the recording interface.

User Info Menu

here’s my try. Different fingering from Jeff at bar 3.

https://youtu.be/EP8sERdi0Zc?si=8NHtvMJX4SNab4k_
    There's a few notes off there, I think. Pitches, I mean, you have the rhythm correct...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    There's a few notes off there, I think. Pitches, I mean, you have the rhythm correct...
    I would have to agree with you. Took a look at the realbook this morning and saw I was off.

User Info Menu

I would have to agree with you. Took a look at the realbook this morning and saw I was off.
    I'd suggest avoiding the Real Book on this tune. User "PMB" on the forum here passed along this lead sheet to me when I was learning off the Charlie Parker recording and I've used it and found it accurately gets the pitches from the recording.

This is really the lead sheet I refer to whenever I'm working on this tune.

Thanks again to "PMB"!

Donna_Lee_JGO.pdf
    Last edited by lawson-stone; 04-20-2024 at 09:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    I'd suggest avoiding the Real Book on this tune. Someone on the forum here passed along this lead sheet to me when I was learning off the Charlie Parker recording and I've used it and found it accurately gets the pitches from the recording.

I really wish I knew who sent this to me because they deserve credit and gratitude, but I can't find the note anywhere. If I do, I'll edit this post to give them credit because it is absolutely due!

Donna_Lee_JGO.pdf

Thanks! FWIW, the first line matches my RB.

User Info Menu

Practice practice practice

User Info Menu

I spent a little time today trying to get that first section up to speed, trying to see where basically I begin to lose control of it. In stepping up from 170, to 180, 200, and finally 210 I hit the wall just barely getting the notes out. I also noticed I needed to shift my technique. My right hand unconsciously turned a little so the pick "sawed" the strings just a little more. I only noticed it after a bit, but I think the problem with starting slow and trying to speed up is that slow and fast are different techniques.

User Info Menu

Attached is tab of my preferred fingerings for the A Section.

A problem I see with breaking this up into 4 bars is that the most efficient way to finger a section will depend partly on where it's going next, you need to be looking ahead and considering how you'll play upcoming passages, because you'll have no time for major position shifts with a fast tune like this.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mick-7; 04-26-2024 at 03:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Attached is tab of my preferred fingerings for the A Section.

A problem I see with breaking this up into 4 bars is that the most efficient way to finger a section will depend partly on where it's going next, you need to be looking ahead and considering how you'll play upcoming passages, because you'll have no time for major position shifts with a fast tune like this.
    Thats a fair point, but for what it’s worth, there’s only one position where it can’t be played without displacing the octave (that’s 8th position).

11th requires a little scooting out in places but nothing major.

Not to say anyone needs to play it in one position —- but the fact that it works in most means that probably the shifting will be minimal wherever one starts.

EDIT: corrected the position that requires significant movement out of position
    Last edited by pamosmusic; 04-20-2024 at 05:55 PM.