The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Posts 301 to 317 of 317

User Info Menu

I did some practicing, and here is my shot at playing with Mr. B's faster rhythm track. This is pretty much maxed out tempo-wise for my abilities, although I am working on relaxing more in order to be able to play faster tempos.

I know this started out as a fingering/position thread for this tune so I'll tell you some of my thoughts on how I approached that.
    I based myself on the 3rd fret Ab major scale position.
    I used arpeggio shapes to accommodate the phrases and give me a context for the changes I'm playing over. Just go where the shape is regardless of position or ergonomics.
    I played the B dim arp. near the end starting on the A string second fret because I don't like the tone of that first note on the low E string

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Excellent stuff Mr B and alpop, this is why the internet was invented. Was the first track at at 140/150 and the second at 180/190? Yes to all

Great fun. More please.

User Info Menu

Bars 15-17 make a nice iiVI lick.

Here is the lick transposed to C Major.

Bebop heads: Donna Lee-donna-lee-lick-bars-15-17-png

Are we moving onto bars 17-20?

They are a repeat of bars 1-4.

User Info Menu

How about we take the week for folks to catch up and post their takes of the full first 16?

Next week we can start with 21-24?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    How about we take the week for folks to catch up and post their takes of the full first 16?

Next week we can start with 21-24?
    I like that.

User Info Menu

Sounds good. I have a busy week as is and my allergies are currently set to "feel like hell."

User Info Menu

Here goes!

User Info Menu

Oops miscounted. Did 12 instead

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazznylon View Post
    Oops miscounted. Did 12 instead
    What's in that fish tank? Is it guppies? I have an endler colony going and they're so fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    What's in that fish tank? Is it guppies? I have an endler colony going and they're so fun.
    Yes My Dad tends to them. We have 2 fish tanks one for babies and one for adults

User Info Menu

I did that at first, but I quickly had too many fish. Now they live together.

User Info Menu

Here goes!

Nice job, you've done some work. Good of you to post. Would you be open to some well-intentioned advice?

User Info Menu

Bumping mm 1-16 up to 180. Also, I really enjoy playing this old Aria Pro II PE180, aka "Poor Man's L5ces" or at least, the less-affluent man's L5. Recorded direct from the Fender Tone Master Twin with the Hal Leonard backing track.

I've switched how I finger the last bit. Actually I used to play this at about 210 and lost it, and I've been watching my old clips to remember how I eventually worked out the fingerings. I've gone downhill...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop View Post
    Nice job, you've done some work. Good of you to post. Would you be open to some well-intentioned advice?
    Sure thing!

User Info Menu

Sure thing!
    Okay, cool.

My advice would be to play from beginning to end with a consistent pulse. If you have to slow down to do so, that's fine.

Get out the metronome and find the tempo that you can play at without losing the pulse. Do some repetitions until you can lock in, and then increase your tempo from there.

Hope this is helpful!

Alan

User Info Menu

Okay, cool.

My advice would be to play from beginning to end with a consistent pulse. If you have to slow down to do so, that's fine.

Get out the metronome and find the tempo that you can play at without losing the pulse. Do some repetitions until you can lock in, and then increase your tempo from there.

Hope this is helpful!

Alan
    Sounds good. Thanks for the help! I'll do it better next time

User Info Menu

Okay, cool.

Hope this is helpful!

Alan
    Good advice. And maybe a quick note — the big danger when you do the really good slow practice is that you can sneak by with inconsistent fingerings in the right hand. Helps a lot to write in the picking, or in this case the right hand fingering. That way it’s consistent all the way up to tempo