The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 267

User Info Menu

I toyed with that this evening. I kind of like how light the maj7 makes it sound, but I put a Dom 7 in there around bar 7-8.

It might be too noodly now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

^ I'm a fan of that spiky bluez.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    The vibes are quite "believeable!" That's cool.
    I thought so! My lil $600 Yamaha CP-125 digital piano is a good instrument apparently. Better watch it or I'm gonna buy a vibraphone. I think I would do a good job on focusing on playing melody only. I don't want to play a wind instrument tho. Vibes have a nice tone, it's good for single note, and you get to whack the thing and get into it rhythmically.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 04-24-2024 at 12:58 AM.

User Info Menu

You should find plenty of work with piano, organ and vibes under your belt. Good trio gigs.

User Info Menu

^ Thx. There's a flute player's posting I'm going to reply to.

User Info Menu

Go for it!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Tomorrow’s the big day. Bars ~5-8

User Info Menu

Here’s m5-8 … the lick over the Bbm/Eb7 is maybe my favorite in the whole tune. I love it.

User Info Menu

Where I think I like it, right now. We'll see.

User Info Menu

Do you figure stuff out in different spots too? Or just find one and stick to it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Do you figure stuff out in different spots too? Or just find one and stick to it?
    Messed with it in a few different spots. This was the only one that was playable for me really, so I recorded it. Maybe next lick I'll post a longer video of my whole process of figuring out where to play it...but I'm not sure how much people want to hear me say 1,2,3,4 fuck. Ok. 1,2,3,4...

I like what you're doing with the upper octave, though I don't think my brain could retain two possibilities yet.

User Info Menu

Messed with it in a few different spots. This was the only one that was playable for me really, so I recorded it. Maybe next lick I'll post a longer video of my whole process of figuring out where to play it...but I'm not sure how much people want to hear me say 1,2,3,4 fuck. Ok. 1,2,3,4...

I like what you're doing with the upper octave, though I don't think my brain could retain two possibilities yet.
    I learned 5 positions, might as well use them. It keeps the 4 bars interesting over the week trying to get a few places. I moved Billies Bounce down an octave last night with relative ease, one thing helps the other.

User Info Menu

Great study group. I appreciate all the discussions here around DL. Cool.

The fingering on m5 makes me always thinking about how to move on after the Bb (beat2) on the e-string.
    Move to the right side, i.e. position 6 or to the left, position 3.

Position 6 has some closer fingerings.
    Bebop heads: Donna Lee-dl-mm5-8-no1-pos6-jpg

Position 3 has the Bbm9 arpeggio on the (smarter sounding) strings 5-4-3.
    Bebop heads: Donna Lee-dl-mm5-8-no2-pos3-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's my take on mm 5-8

User Info Menu

Nothing idiotic about that!

User Info Menu

A few observations on m5-8:
    I meant to say that the positions I chose rather than the fingerings are close to Jeff's. I'll often play in three-finger mode, especially on a blues but bop heads tend to be the exception.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Here’s m5-8 … the lick over the Bbm/Eb7 is maybe my favorite in the whole tune. I love it.
    I love it too. I like the enclosure emphasizing the extension and then further crap in the extensions. Lotta good vocab in DL.

User Info Menu

Learned it by reading bar 8, then 7…. It was pretty pleasant that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Learned it by reading bar 8, then 7…. It was pretty pleasant that way.

Reverse! Reverse!

Is anyone else here the right age to be hearing the Cha Cha Slide voice saying that every time someone mentions learning the tune in reverse order now?

No?

Anyone?

…..

User Info Menu

So many wedding dances to that song.

Everybody clap your hands

User Info Menu

You can sweep pick the last line at the 6th fret, it's a GbM7 arpeggio (preceded by the notes Eb & F on the 5th string). I played the entire four bars in the 4th to 6th fret positions, shifting as you did would slow me down.

I revised my fingering for the entire tune, tablature is in post #24 in this thread. Started to try incorporating Frank Gambale's picking techniques but picking all up strokes when going to descending strings feels really strange to me and I'm not convinced it will be an improvement - we'll see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    Great study group. I appreciate all the discussions here around DL. Cool.

The fingering on m5 makes me always thinking about how to move on after the Bb (beat2) on the e-string.
    Move to the right side, i.e. position 6 or to the left, position 3.

Position 6 has some closer fingerings.
    Bebop heads: Donna Lee-dl-mm5-8-no1-pos6-jpg

Position 3 has the Bbm9 arpeggio on the (smarter sounding) strings 5-4-3.
    Bebop heads: Donna Lee-dl-mm5-8-no2-pos3-jpg
    I’ve not learned much in my life, but one thing I’ve learned is that bop heads don’t work in position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    I’ve not learned much in my life, but one thing I’ve learned is that bop heads don’t work in position.
    Because they have been written mostly by sax or trumpet players? Or am I missing something in your post?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post

Be gone!

Out with ye!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    Because they have been written mostly by sax or trumpet players? Or am I missing something in your post?
    Maybe? I don't know if I could give you a single concrete reason, but I know that as soon as I stopped reading them in position and started learning them by ear it suddenly got much easier from a playing perspective. Less positional fingering emerged intuitively and just seemed to flow better.

Things like slurring and harmonic context are super important. In bop phrasing rhythm and harmony go hand in hand. which all sounds more abstract than it is. I'm starting to think of it as 'harmonic fingering'

ill try an demonstrate what i mean more concretely when i get a chance. but a good one is enclosures of chord tones

Last edited by Christian Miller; 04-26-2024 at 09:07 AM.