The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello,

I'm currently having a lot of fun with songs that contain both a passage with static chords and a part with some changes. This helps me to practise both quite well. Unfortunately, I don't really know many standards that combine the two well.

For example, I currently play

• Yes or No
    • Recorda Me

Does anyone else have any song suggestions with a similar structure?

Many thanks for any tips.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by switchflip View Post
    Hello,

I'm currently having a lot of fun with songs that contain both a passage with static chords and a part with some changes. This helps me to practise both quite well. Unfortunately, I don't really know many standards that combine the two well.

For example, I currently play

• Yes or No
    • Recorda Me

Does anyone else have any song suggestions with a similar structure?

Many thanks for any tips.
    Ill Remember April, All or Nothing at All, In a Sentimental Mood, My Funny Valentine, kind of Green Dolphin Street.

Maybe even Blue Bossa or Corcovado, sort of feel that way.

The blues? Is that cheating?

There are others that have that vibe — the A sections of Softly as in a Morning Sunrise technically have changes but just feel like a big C minor. Same with the A sections of How Deep is the Ocean, but half C minor and half G minor.

User Info Menu

Invitation
    Inner Urge
    Topsy
    The Night has a Thousand Eyes
    Caravan
    Night in Tunisia
    Last edited by grahambop; 04-16-2024 at 05:13 AM.

User Info Menu

I mean depends how you view the world... You could say rhythm changes. A section is 8 bars of Bb innit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    I mean depends how you view the world... You could say rhythm changes. A section is 8 bars of Bb innit.
    I didn’t want to be that guy, but I figured I could count on you.

User Info Menu

Along the same lines as Rhythm Changes is Caravan.

Serenede to a Cuckoo is another good one. The A section is almost all F-.

Many thanks for the suggestions,
    there are already a few pieces that I want to check out. Regarding the blues or pieces like Rythem Changes etc., such pieces are probably not the most suitable. The part with the static chords is primarily important for me to try out different modes and develop a feeling for how they sound. With songs that are exclusively structured like this, I sometimes miss the variety. Especially when I'm practising, I like to have different parts. That's why I look for such pieces.