The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

It may sound a bit unhinged, but sharing the “out of control” first takes opens a window that’s honest. There are so many places I could imagine getting caught up in editing, fixing and punching/ but for me the beauty of video is that there’s no visual hiding places for the fingers- so what lays down unadulterated is what you get. For my audio minded friends, this recording uses much less guitar body microphone, mostly the amp’s mike and even a pinch of direct, to the voice is more electric than some of my other recordings of this instrument.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    The voice is more electric than some of my other recordings of this instrument.
    I love the sound! The acoustic edge is still present though the overall sound feels a bit more like that of a classic jazz-box. Beautiful. Just right (for my taste, that is).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    I love the sound! The acoustic edge is still present though the overall sound feels a bit more like that of a classic jazz-box. Beautiful. Just right (for my taste, that is).
    Thanks for the feedback. It’s hard to settle in on just one sound- I’m enjoying all of them

User Info Menu

Yea Mark.... very cool. Your voice is really there. I like the occasional hint or reference to traditional parts of the tune. Your really great at this very difficult style of playing.

Thanks Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yea Mark.... very cool. Your voice is really there. I like the occasional hint or reference to traditional parts of the tune. Your really great at this very difficult style of playing.

Thanks Reg
    Thanks for the feedback- I really appreciate hearing back with reactions and such. Helps break the vacuum

User Info Menu

Absolutely adore this song! One of my favs. Am working it up myself at the moment. Your version sounds very fresh. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Mark my take. The sound of the guitar is great and lines clean. My comments are just that, sort of what do I like. I come from the Joe Pass school, so the sense of swing is not nearly as much I personally like. It is more as though you are painting a picture of sounds, and the framework is the tune. However, I don't here quite enough melody to my taste and then at times you get back at the tune.

In the end my old age likes the melody more and a bit more structure that my ears can follow. In the end I would just say that has to do with listenability for the long haul. Possibly you are the point with a standard like this that you are just jumping in all directions for variety. For my ears a bit more swing and melody but let me say you get around the guitar no question.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Mark my take. The sound of the guitar is great and lines clean. My comments are just that, sort of what do I like. I come from the Joe Pass school, so the sense of swing is not nearly as much I personally like. It is more as though you are painting a picture of sounds, and the framework is the tune. However, I don't here quite enough melody to my taste and then at times you get back at the tune.

In the end my old age likes the melody more and a bit more structure that my ears can follow. In the end I would just say that has to do with listenability for the long haul. Possibly you are the point with a standard like this that you are just jumping in all directions for variety. For my ears a bit more swing and melody but let me say you get around the guitar no question.
    Hi Mark, please understand that for me it’s a calling to play these tunes the way I do them. There’s plenty of conventional renditions out there that the world just doesn’t need another one. I feel we must strive to find individuality within the idiom at all costs.

User Info Menu

I clicked on your website link a couple yrs ago and it wasn't there, today still not, is it permanently down?
    Are you gigging anymore?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I clicked on your website link a couple yrs ago and it wasn't there, today still not, is it permanently down?
    Are you gigging anymore?
    The site is permanently down. Last gigs were pre-pandemic as I’ve never gone back “out” save for 2 occasions putting a toe in the water. These videos have become my primary performance medium.

User Info Menu

The site is permanently down. Last gigs were pre-pandemic as I’ve never gone back “out” save for 2 occasions putting a toe in the water. These videos have become my primary performance medium.
    That's what I figured, maybe you could remove the link and post another if you have social media accounts (though I don't personally)
    Are you not playing out anymore because of lack of opportunities or just personal choice?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    That's what I figured, maybe you could remove the link and post another if you have social media accounts (though I don't personally)
    Are you not playing out anymore because of lack of opportunities or just personal choice?
    I was able to hide signatures (where my old website was noted) but could not see how to change it. I post extensively on Facebook and have all my videos on YouTube. My avoidance of gigging is absolutely by my choice, although after a few years of saying “no” the phone has pretty much stopped ringing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I come from the Joe Pass school, so the sense of swing is not nearly as much I personally like. It is more as though you are painting a picture of sounds, and the framework is the tune. However, I don't here quite enough melody to my taste and then at times you get back at the tune.
    I'll always be a traditional player, but I like Mark's playing. He purposely plays aleatorically.

Hi Mark, please understand that for me it’s a calling to play these tunes the way I do them.
    Recently, I've become fed up with vanilla harmony and I'm in a routine of trying to expand my harmony chromatically in a way that fits with my traditional playing. I find your chromatic, aleatoric playing soothing.

There’s plenty of conventional renditions out there that the world just doesn’t need another one.
    I've thought this. Maybe people don't want to hear my traditional playing, but I have to do it for me!

I feel we must strive to find individuality within the idiom at all costs.
    Still is a goal to have my individuality mature down the road.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Maybe people don't want to hear my traditional playing, but I have to do it for me!

Still is a goal to have my individuality mature down the road.
    we can’t be concerned with what people may want or not want to hear. There’s one in every crowd (of each) but it’s of no matter. We can only play for our own hearts. Come what may.