The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am a new member and have really enjoyed reading through this forum. Thanks to this group I picked up a wonderful Peerless Monarch (thanks Anthony!). My background is primarily classical guitar and I frequently play in a guitar duo as well as a duo with a soprano vocalist. We cross over frequently into the jazz world.

I am trying to find books or other sources of jazz arrangements for (1) guitar and soprano voice and (2) jazz guitar duets. Before I launch into making my own arrangements, I wanted to check what might be available and then build from there. Primarily looking for jazz standards at this point. Thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Since jazz is primarily an improvised artform, there is a different mindset amongst interpreters of the medium. I too moved from classical guitar to jazz guitar. I started out looking for jazz arrangements written out like pieces, just like the ones I had been working on as a wannabe classical guitarist. (This was in the late 80's). I found some, (and they were very few in number at that point) but they were seldom tunes I actually wanted to play. And they were all solo guitar pieces, not duets.

I'm sure there is stuff out there similar to what you seek, but I am unaware of specific examples and it seems like the forum so far is unaware, also.

When working with singers, I have never received (or ever seen) a part with notes on it, it was always fake book pages copied from a fake book, or a handwritten chart to accomodate the singer's preferred key, with chord symbols to go with the melody.

User Info Menu

1. Guitar Duets Vol. 1, William G. Leavitt, guitar duet folio - You can still find this as PDF for free online as it is out of print.
    2. Barry Galbraith - Play along with Bach - In print available from many sources
    3. Mel Bay's Masters of the Plectrum Guitar - In print. Contains several guitar duets from early plectrum players

User Info Menu

Laurindo Almeida has arranged a lot of times for two guitars.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Appreciate the responses and will definitely checkout the suggestions. Best, Donn

User Info Menu

Last edited by daveg; 03-19-2024 at 06:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daveg
    Those duets will not suit the op's needs. They don't play standards, the arrangements appear to have been made up by Joe and Herb for the sake of the book - there's a generic blues, jazz waltz, ballad, etc., and of course there are no lyrics.

Actually, none of the sources of duets suggested are what the op asked for: "Primarily looking for jazz standards at this point."