The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm going to post just simple almost vanilla versions of playing through jazz versions of Tunes. Nothing worked out ... just possible versions of how a jazz player might ... well really how I do actually play tunes at gigs.

I'm loose, relaxed and generally just want the audiences to enjoy and have fun, as well as band. Feel free to comment...suggestions etc... I'm old but still love finding new material... and not selling anything.

I'm posting the first vid from different thread that I posted on yesterday... for Allen. "I fall In love To Easily"

It's loose, not a performance...just possible approach. (Allen... hope you don't mind)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's all in the right hand people. Much more interesting than the pickguard felt thread, but what do I know?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Reg suggested I do a video of I Fall In Love Too Easily, just to get another view.

I played two choruses. I'm using a lot of the devices that Reg uses -- some of the same voicings, tritone subs, sliding in to a chord from the same thing a half step up, or down in one case. The first one is my attempt to get some of the snappiness that Reg comps with -- which didn't work (Edit: probably because I didn't make the changes fast enough, which led me to place the accents too far behind the beat-- that would improve with practicing the tune, I think, or counting it slower). The second chorus is what I'd probably play on a gig.

To my way of thinking, it's possible to play the same chords at the same tempo -- but with, or without, the magic that makes it good jazz. That's the player's time feel (including attack, release and whatever else goes into it). It's the glass ceiling. If you don't have great time feel, you can't make up for it by knowing more chords or more theory. Not that all the information isn't useful, but you can sound good without it if your time feel is good enough. It's really hard to sound good without good time feel, at least on this style of music.

Better time feel is something I work on daily and it's frankly frustrating.

Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 03-06-2024 at 04:57 PM.

User Info Menu

I missed this when it was new, but I'll drop my video here. Also from the other thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Reg suggested I do a video of I Fall In Love Too Easily, just to get another view.

I played two choruses. I'm using a lot of the devices that Reg uses -- some of the same voicings, tritone subs, sliding in to a chord from the same thing a half step up, or down in one case. The first one is my attempt to get some of the snappiness that Reg comps with -- which didn't work (Edit: probably because I didn't make the changes fast enough, which led me to place the accents too far behind the beat-- that would improve with practicing the tune, I think, or counting it slower). The second chorus is what I'd probably play on a gig.

To my way of thinking, it's possible to play the same chords at the same tempo -- but with, or without, the magic that makes it good jazz. That's the player's time feel (including attack, release and whatever else goes into it). It's the glass ceiling. If you don't have great time feel, you can't make up for it by knowing more chords or more theory. Not that all the information isn't useful, but you can sound good without it if your time feel is good enough. It's really hard to sound good without good time feel, at least on this style of music.

Better time feel is something I work on daily and it's frankly frustrating.

Hi rp. Time feel was killing me for a while. I was quite frustrated lol. I made a thread on it a while ago, did you catch it? I wasn't expecting a revelation, but ended up getting one. PatrickWD posted a great lesson that breaks down what good time feel is so you know what it is, can practice it, and go about achieving it.

I thought your time feel was pretty good in your clip. You were only playing chords, but I think if you play tunes with that time feel, it would sound good to me.

The clip

The thread

How to theoretically explain good time feel?