The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Posts 201 to 220 of 220

User Info Menu

Eh …

Though I have always liked monk on an acoustic guitar … the percussive thing I think.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bop Head,

Thanks I agree, it was clumsy fingering. Still figuring things out. I’ll give your suggestion a try today.

Christian, thanks for that, I’m looking forward to trying the bass and tenor thing. Looks similar to the 6th harmony I tried working out on Mercy Mercy Mercy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Here is a full scan with Russ Columbo on the cover.

Attachment 108816

The scan you can get from Ethan Iverson is from the same hand-engraved plate with ukele chords. Those hand-engraved scores were often reproduced in songbooks (with replaced titles in different fonts and sometimes replaced chords) until the 90ies and later.
    Great link! Thanks, fascinating stuff. A few features of the original tunes I didn’t know

I think Ethan is wrong on the chronology of the jazz Stella changes BTW - like quite a few others I’ve seen talking about Stella, he credits miles in 1958 with Bill Evans but in fact Jim Hall recorded these changes in 1957 so they must have been in circulation before miles. I’m sure i could find some other earlier examples if I looked hard.

Miles has an Eb maj7 before the bridge instead of Am7b5 tho. I don’t hear Bbm7 Eb7 Fmaj7 - more like a ii V i - in the JH version. Otherwise a lot like the RB changes. (Transposing to Bb, Jim played it in G)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Bop Head,

Thanks I agree, it was clumsy fingering. Still figuring things out. I’ll give your suggestion a try today.

Christian, thanks for that, I’m looking forward to trying the bass and tenor thing. Looks similar to the 6th harmony I tried working out on Mercy Mercy Mercy.
    Hope it provides some grist for the mill… I’ll record it myself at some point

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well, as we're all doing solos, here's this :-)

Reminds me of John Fahey

User Info Menu

Reminds me of John Fahey
    Uh? He's a roots fingerpicker!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic

Though I have always liked monk on an acoustic guitar … the percussive thing I think.
    That was good. Also, just what I was going to say, it sounds great on that acoustic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Uh? He's a roots fingerpicker!
    I hears what I hears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Eh …

Good solo, I thought the kids in the background were mine.

Did you do the C° C#° over the bridge? It didn’t sound like you were chasing the changes. I liked it.

User Info Menu

Good solo, I thought the kids in the background were mine.

Did you do the C° C#° over the bridge? It didn’t sound like you were chasing the changes. I liked it.
    Yeah over the bridge I usually play the Db and D and then play stuff from the C#o cinematic universe over the rest.

(also thank you)

(also also … all that commotion was just the one kid … feeling spicy this morning)

User Info Menu

I heard that screech and rushed downstairs in case she'd had an accident or seen a huge spider or something :-)

User Info Menu

I hears what I hears.
    You certainly do!

Jesus, five minutes of the same thing. With speeding up :-)

User Info Menu

John Fahey rules.
    that's all I wanted to say

now back to Well You Needn't

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Hey I like the vibe an awful lot! Nice.

This is something I’ve been playing around with for monks line on the A - this bass and tenor line on piano together. I think you could integrate it with your stop chords? I think the repeated F# chord could be opened up a bit.

1 3 x x x x
    2 4 x x x x
    1 x 0 x x x
    2 x 1 x x x
    1 x 2 x x x
    2 x 3 x x x
    1 x 3 x x x

I think you’d have to do every second chord on the A to make room for the melody, but I tried it and I think it sounds hip.

For the B

4 4 x x x x
    5 5 x x x x
    6 6 x x x x

Etc

Think those will sound cool on your guitar

Kind of like this? I’m not sure if there’s anything here. Maybe I’m doing it wrong

User Info Menu

Kind of like this? I’m not sure if there’s anything here. Maybe I’m doing it wrong

That isn’t exactly what I had in mind, but it doesn’t matter because it sounds great.

Now do the B!

User Info Menu

Inspired by all the solo guitar versions posted here, I wanted to come up with my own take on Well, You Needn't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    Inspired by all the solo guitar versions posted here, I wanted to come up with my own take on Well, You Needn't.
    I like it, you go right off into space for the solo.

User Info Menu

I like it, you go right off into space for the solo.
    Thanks, I mostly concentrated on the piano on the version on Monk's Music. Thelonious' solo has a ton of space, and I like the way he comps behind the different horns. He drops in different lines that move thru the chords, and off-kilter rhythms that push the soloists, and he does it differently for each player.

User Info Menu

This is about the only version I really like :-)

User Info Menu

Jazz funk ain’t my thing. I’d rather just hear The Meters.