The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Our standard for Feb 2024 will be Exactly Like You (Jimmy McHugh, Dorothy Fields, 1930).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Exactly Like You)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Lionel Hampton vocal!

User Info Menu

Yee-haw

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Yee-haw
    Git on lil dogey.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Nice mix of blues and jazz ideas. My kind of playing. If I was a better player, I would play just like this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Nice mix of blues and jazz ideas. My kind of playing. If I was a better player, I would play just like this!
    Wow - thanks so much! I’m very glad you like it.

User Info Menu

I've been trying to get into the gypsy bag this year, and I found a gypsy backing track for this one that's really good. So I took a shot at it. Sweep picking is still a work in progress for me, so I didn't try to do that here because I can't reliably pull it off yet. I'm still working on getting the feel of the genre and maintaining a light touch. Hopefully, the speed will come.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Interesting. Can't fault the playing, of course, but I thought if you're going to have an acoustic rhythm then you probably should have played the lead acoustically too.
    Thanks! I agree with you. But my wife was still asleep when I recorded this, and I had to go direct to avoid waking her. I think my Eastman 810CE7 did pretty well through the pickup - I love the sound, and I was picking pretty lightly even though the doors were closed both to our bedroom and to the den where I was playing.

User Info Menu

I'm getting my gear ready for tonight's gig. While checking my Ibanez AF207 through the Blu 6, I thought I heard Bucky telling me to try Exactly Like You fingerstyle. He's right - it's a great tune for the lap piano. I'll have to work up an arrangement for it to put it in my solo repertoire, but here's my first take -

User Info Menu

I'm getting my gear ready for tonight's gig. While checking my Ibanez AF207 through the Blu 6, I thought I heard Bucky telling me to try Exactly Like You fingerstyle. He's right - it's a great tune for the lap piano. I'll have to work up an arrangement for it to put it in my solo repertoire, but here's my first take -

I dig this version. I thought I heard a metronome in the background, but otherwise is it unaccompanied?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    I dig this version. I thought I heard a metronome in the background, but otherwise is it unaccompanied?
    It's unaccompanied. I often practice with a click track because it helps me maintain rhythmic discipline. Even after 68 years of playing, I tend to speed up when playing solo, and practicing with a click has helped but not cured this. It's still a struggle if I don't concentrate on it. And playing new things sometimes distracts me from timing. I should have used phones, but I practice mic'ed and don't usually think about this. Sorry!

User Info Menu

Why are you sounding like Bucky Pizzarelli?!!

User Info Menu

It's unaccompanied. I often practice with a click track because it helps me maintain rhythmic discipline. Even after 68 years of playing, I tend to speed up when playing solo, and practicing with a click has helped but not cured this. It's still a struggle if I don't concentrate on it. And playing new things sometimes distracts me from timing. I should have used phones, but I practice mic'ed and don't usually think about this. Sorry!
    It sounded good, and I didn't really notice the metronome until as your last notes were fading out!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Why are you sounding like Bucky Pizzarelli?!!
    Don't blame me - Van Eps made me do it!

User Info Menu

Happy with the take despite some clipping.

User Info Menu

I always liked this version ( a little hillbilly but I grew up in OK and have western swing in my blood):

User Info Menu

This has been my favorite version. Dizzy, Stan Getz, and OP. Smokin.

User Info Menu

That was great! And, thanks, it makes me wish I still had my AF207!