The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting video, supposedly Parker and/or Gillespie gave a nod to Rachmaninoff's famous
    C# minor prelude

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's Christian's Australian cousin!

sitting on Jimmy Bruno's sofa

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Rachmaninoff??? Who woulda guessed it?

User Info Menu

yeah bit of a stretch

meanwhile the
    Rachmaninov C minor piano concerto
    is wonderful ….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    I don't hear Rac's Prelude Op 3 No 2 sounding anything like the famous ATTYA intro. The Youtuber probably based his idea on the start of the Mingus ATTYA version, which is Rac's Prelude Op 3 No 2.
    Please post the famous intro to which you refer. The classic intro to ATTYA is the first 3 notes of Op 3 No 2 played, then repeated a half step down. Here are just 4 of the many adaptations of the exact same intro:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i thought it would be common knowledge at this point in time.
    …that Rachmaninoff is Christian’s Australian cousin? That’s been a very well kept secret until Ragman let the cat out of the bag!

[Hint: to understand joking responses, first go back and read the entirety of the quoted post.]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    The classic intro to ATTYA is the first 3 notes of Op 3 No 2
    Sorry, I apologise, I don't hear it sounding very similar. It's maybe my ears.

In Rac's intro for Op 3 No 2, I hear the 6th, 5th and 1st notes of the C# minor scale played slowly in octaves, with low notes in the bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Sorry, I apologise, I don't hear it sounding very similar. It's maybe my ears.

In Rac's intro for Op 3 No 2, I hear the 6th, 5th and 1st notes of the C# minor scale played slowly in octaves, with low notes in the bass.
    The intro is the 6 to 5 to root of that Db7 and C7 alternating.

It’s very slow. I’m not sure if it’s coincidence or not, but it is the same. I’m sure someone knows if there’s some verification out there or not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Tim has been a regular at my monthly jazz jam session here in Sydney and ended up taking a lesson or two with me. Nice guy and player!