The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 55

User Info Menu

What's your fav Ballad?

Ben Webster's breathy version of Tenderly.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Embraceable You, Body And Soul, Blue In Green, Circle, Pee Wee, Naima, off the top of my head. Probably more if I think about it.

User Info Menu

Embraceable you, Body and Soul, I’ll Be Seeing You

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post

Many thanks, I've never heard that live version before, I have the recordings, but Chet's phrasing whilst singing on that live version is truly outstanding.

User Info Menu

The favorite ballads suggested, so far, are outstanding.

I will, however, offer Dindi.

User Info Menu

Blue In Green, Naima, lots of them. Mostly modern rather than the show tunes.

User Info Menu

My One and Only Love

User Info Menu

Come on guys, we're guitar players fer cryin out loud. The correct answer is "Darn that Dream".

User Info Menu

I Can't Get Started
    Anouman

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The entire album by Metheny and Hall is great. (oke just the ballads because of this topic) It was my steppingstone away from the blues. My playing is no where close to their playing though. But still dreaming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    Come on guys, we're guitar players fer cryin out loud. The correct answer is "Darn that Dream".
    why?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Here's That Rainy Day
    It Never Entered My Mind
    Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most
    Some Other Time

(Off the top of my head. I think those qualify.)

User Info Menu

Yeah, "My One and Only Love," Trane with Johnny Hartman is a profound ballad.

User Info Menu

why?
    Because it's just about the easiest tune to arrange for solo guitar (first one I ever came up with) and everybody does it.

User Info Menu

Because it's just about the easiest tune to arrange for solo guitar (first one I ever came up with) and everybody does it.
    Well, I'll have to give it a shot then. I like things that are easy!

User Info Menu

why?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf Field View Post
    Probably that tune, but I am not a guitar only listener and like to go back to the source.

Then this one ...

... this one ...

... and this one.

User Info Menu

I pretty much only play ballads - I just like pretty tunes. Favorites: Moonlight In Vermont, Georgia On My Mind, Days of Wine and Roses, I Can't Get Started, Stars Fell On Alabama, Laura, Shenandoah, Send In The Clowns. I listen to a lot of Ella, Rosemary Clooney, Tony Bennett, Sinatra, Mel Torme and try to pattern my playing after their singing.

User Info Menu

I am first and foremost a music lover and musician not just a guitar player ... (but I really like that one)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
    I pretty much only play ballads - I just like pretty tunes. Favorites: Moonlight In Vermont, Georgia On My Mind, Days of Wine and Roses, I Can't Get Started, Stars Fell On Alabama, Laura, Shenandoah, Send In The Clowns. I listen to a lot of Ella, Rosemary Clooney, Tony Bennett, Sinatra, Mel Torme and try to pattern my playing after their singing.
    +1 for Laura.

And nobody likes this one?

User Info Menu

My Romance has always been a fav

User Info Menu

Naming ballads is fun, but deciding which one is my favorite would be like trying to decide which grandchild is my favorite. They're all favorites when I'm playing them.