Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26
    joelf Guest
    The old standard ballad and the Carole King tune from Tapestry:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    I'd like to hear this but I don't Facebook. (It's not that I'm too young by the way...)

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    I'd like to hear this but I don't Facebook. (It's not that I'm too young by the way...)
    So the link doesn't take you right there?

I'm no expert on this stuff, sorry...

User Info Menu

So the link doesn't take you right there?
    The link takes you there, but you probably have to be logged in to your Facebook account to see the content. If FB is like most other such sites, no account = no access.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    The link takes you there, but you probably have to be logged in to your Facebook account to see the content. If FB is like most other such sites, no account = no access.
    So what can I do there to have it appear directly here?

Something simple. As everyone here knows, I'm no technical wiz...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    No, you do not have to be logged in. It is a public video. Simply close the "Discover more videos on Facebook" dialogue, deny optional cookies (or was it the other way round?) and unmute the video to hear Joel play.

OMG digitally illiterate boomers ... ;-)

User Info Menu

You could try recording it on your phone or whatever and uploading to YouTube. That's a platform everyone can access.

You'll get better audio/video quality that way too, Facebook Live is more for 20 something who want to record themselves yelling "WOOOO!" over 8 seconds of a Jason Aldean concert.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    You could try recording it on your phone or whatever and uploading to YouTube. That's a platform everyone can access.

You'll get better audio/video quality that way too, Facebook Live is more for 20 something who want to record themselves yelling "WOOOO!" over 8 seconds of a Jason Aldean concert.
    +1 on the pre-recording for reasons of quality.

FB is OK and not worse for me than YT (= Google).

Barry Greene uses it as well for HD live streams.

Content Not Found

joelf Guest
    And any minute now someone's gonna comment on the music

(;

(It's OK, don't need mad props. Mom hugged me enough as a young lad.

But if you want? to...

User Info Menu

So what can I do there to have it appear directly here?

Something simple. As everyone here knows, I'm no technical wiz...
    In another of your threads I tried to enter the video URL (= link) into the dialogue that appears after pressing the video button in the toolbar. But the video was cut vertically and I could not get rid of the cookie dialogue. Theoretically it should work with FB video links as well, but it does not properly.

joelf Guest
    Sigh. Guess I was wrong.

Thank you, thread pilferers.

I won't bust my ass here anymore if it's gonna be that way---and I mean it. I'm insulted. You all are talking over me and shitting on some good music.

No good.

But thanks sincerely to the guy who at least tried to listen on FB.

And just so you know: I am definitely not in some kind of bad mood or 'zone'. In fact, I just got back from a live audition and nailed the mofo---they loved me and I got tips, a free meal and the gig. I've had a great, not good, week. And I intend to stay feeling positive.

So I don't need any props particularly. But, though I like you guys I feel your being a tad insensitive and see no reason to bite my tongue. Even someone saying they hated it is better than one's efforts being ignored.

The other day a guy on here who knows who he is complained that I should get better audio quality on these things, and also couldn't dig a comment, yay or nay, out of himself. It's beginning to get on my nerves TBH. WTF does any of that technical BS have to do with music? Right. Zilch.

I don't get gigs or students from this joint. I've sold 1 or 2 CDs, and I appreciate that. No one owes anyone anything in this life. But when I post good music and for free, and all everyone talks about is anything but I don't love that. Is commenting---good, bad or indifferent that fricking hard? I mean Jesus H. Christ, man! I am pissed. And, adding insult to injury, some of you also talk about my better-known peers like they're gods and I'm just another dog-face around here. Well, sorry, but I know my worth, OK?

I'll think about deleting this and not wasting my time posting music here, especially since putting them on FB I get real positive responses and vibes and it can actually lead to something. Why do you guys (no gals here, another topic for another day) think I do this? For shit and giggles?

Good night...

User Info Menu

Honestly brother, just thought you were looking for feedback here on whether or not you could even access the video and recording/visual quality...

I left the actual comments on FB..I liked 'em, and I'm still excited about the YouTube channel. Facebook is kind of a cesspool.

I should also mention that after I saw this I checked your FB and the algorithm didn't put even half the video you've posted in my feed...I thought you had just posted this and the at 17!

I

User Info Menu

Sigh. Guess I was wrong.

Thank you, thread pilferers.

I won't bust my ass here anymore if it's gonna be that way---and I mean it. I'm insulted. You all are talking over me and shitting on some good music.

No good.

But thanks sincerely to the guy who at least tried to listen on FB.

And just so you know: I am definitely not in some kind of bad mood or 'zone'. In fact, I just got back from a live audition and nailed the mofo---they loved me and I got tips, a free meal and the gig. And I intend to stay ?feeling positive.

So I don't need any props particularly. But, though I like you guys I feel your being a tad insensitive and see no reason to bite my tongue. Even someone saying they hated it is better than one's efforts being ignored.

The other day a guy on here who knows who he is complained that I should get better audio quality on these things, and also couldn't dig a comment, yay or nay, out of himself. It's beginning to get on my nerves TBH. WTF does any of that technical BS have to do with music? Right. Zilch.

I don't get gigs or students from this joint. I've sold 1 or 2 CDs, and I appreciate that. No one owes anyone anything in this life. But when I post good music and for free, and all everyone talks about is anything but I don't love that. Is commenting---good, bad or indifferent that fricking hard? I mean Jesus H. Christ, man! I am pissed.

I'll think about deleting this and not wasting my time posting here, especially since leaving them on FB I get real positive responses and vibes and it can actually lead to something. Why do you guys (no gals here, another topic for another day) think I do ?this? For shit and giggles?

Good night...
    I do not understand your rant.

First of all I liked your original post.

Then people are trying to be helpful. You are talking about wanting to start a YouTube channel and people tell you to take care about video and audio quality. Not because we want to annoy and insult you but because we all watch a lot of YouTube videos and we know there is a high standard to compete with. You are not the first to try social media promotion.

I spent half an hour the other day trying to find out how one could embed a Facebook video directly on this site without it being cut of at the top and bottom and how to get rid of the cookie banner which has the wrong size as well so you cannot reach any button to click it away. I finally gave up. I have not been active on Facebook any more for six years. I did this because I am a computer nerd with a hacker attitude who likes to solve technical problems. And I did this because you were asking for help.

Someone said he cannot watch the video because he is not on Facebook. I explained how to watch a public video so more people can have the heart to click on your link.

What do you expect? A little too much if you ask me for a honest answer. Instead of complaining try to find someone in your area who can help you with the technical annoyances person to person. Bob Mover has a girl who helps him with the live stream. Emmet Cohen has a team meanwhile. Ask for help and have the patience to listen to the answers and to try things out.

Now my rant is over.

User Info Menu

Nice arrangement, they go together well. Thanks for sharing this with us!

For what it’s worth, I use both FB and YT, preferring to upload videos onto YT and then putting that link onto FB or wherever I like to share it. I find FB on its own to be somewhat cumbersome and a bit intrusive.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    Nice arrangement, they go together well. Thanks for sharing this with us!

For what it’s worth, I use both FB and YT, preferring to upload videos onto YT and then putting that link onto FB or wherever I like to share it. I find FB on its own to be somewhat cumbersome and a bit intrusive.
    Thanks!

joelf Guest
    BTW, as I said on FB, I goofed on the ballad name. It's Too Late Now, as a vocalist friend pointed out.

But it's still close enough that it makes a nice pairing with Carole's tune. And it's in C and sets up her tune in D Minor nicely...

joelf Guest
    Listen Bop Head:

So I was a little perturbed and spoke out. I think you are right to also be a little insulted. I know your intentions are good, and I probably came off as a crybaby a few posts ago. But right or wrong I speak my mind. Then, once clear, I forget and it's 'next'. Getting feelings out is a good way not to get cancers. I like most people here or I wouldn't hang here. I have a busy life and a lot of friends. But I'm at the stage of life where if I don't become better known in a tough business I won't make decent money, draw when I'm working a jazz or even a local restaurant venue, have my songs sung, played and recorded by others and maybe even get OK royalties. Know what I mean? Shit, I'm almost 70, and messed up a lot before. This time I intend to get it right. And I'm a very lucky guy. Duke's I'm Just a Lucky So-and-so could have been written for me. I have not one but multiple angels in my corner: the Jazz Foundation of America, who literally saved my life (and to whom all my $ will go to when I'm 'called home'), my friends, the love of my life I'll call TCD because she belongs to another man but is such a source of inspiration and comfort to me and loves me in her way, my friends who are just the best----etc., etc.

So I let off a little steam once in a while. Big deal. We're all only human and all we can hope to be is as perfectly human as we can, and work on the rough spots. I take after my late mother, Bess Fass (nee Orloff). She didn't have much patience and neither do I, but it's never too late to change and I'm trying. She had plenty of spunk though, and I got that from her too. In my own way and style I'm trying to do as the Old Testament tells us: honor thy mother and father. I didn't while they were here, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be proud of how I ultimately turn out if they were. So to merely want to be a 'mensch' is a noble goal I think.

I try to go through life and music making up for what I may lack in technique and polish in taste, content, quality and heart. The highest compliment I can give anyone is to say 'You're a class act'. As you'd imagine then, it warms my heart if and when it's said of or to me.

And the polish and chops can be had if you really want them. Just practice, practice, practice. 'How do you get to Carnegie Hall'---we all know that one.

We're here for like half a minute. So what should we be remembered for? Our 'great achievements'? Let me know when to start laughing. The only thing anyone will remember about any of us except the most famous---and none of us here can claim to be that---is the way we treated them. And even for self-absorbed artists that will also out (or not) in our work. So when someone say that singer or player X has 'great humanity' in his work he probably does. If they say 'He's great, but leaves me cold' you can bet there's some truth in that. There's also a reason cliches become cliches. I just want to play and live with heart and compassion and have them show---rather than show how 'hip' I take myself to be. Remember that Tower of Power song 'What is Hip'?

The last line is 'What is hip today may become cliche'.

And now it's really time for bed. G'night, cats...

User Info Menu

Listen Bop Head:

So I was a little perturbed and spoke out. I think you are right to also be a little insulted. I know your intentions are good, and I probably came off as a crybaby a few posts ago. But right or wrong I speak my mind. Then, once clear, I forget and it's 'next'. Getting feelings out is a good way not to get cancers. I like most people here or I wouldn't hang here. I have a busy life and a lot of friends. But I'm at the stage of life where if I don't become better known in a tough business I won't make decent money, draw when I'm working a jazz or even a local restaurant venue, have my songs sung, played and recorded by others and maybe even get OK royalties. Know what I mean? Shit, I'm almost 70, and messed up a lot before. This time I intend to get it right. And I'm a very lucky guy. Duke's I'm Just a Lucky So-and-so could have been written for me. I have not one but multiple angels in my corner: the Jazz Foundation of America, who literally saved my life (and to whom all my $ will go to when I'm 'called home'), my friends, the love of my life I'll call TCD because she belongs to another man but is such a source of inspiration and comfort to me and loves me in her way, my friends who are just the best----etc., etc.

So I let off a little steam once in a while. Big deal. We're all only human and all we can hope to be is as perfectly human as we can, and work on the rough spots. I take after my late mother, Bess Fass (nee Orloff). She didn't have much patience and neither do I, but it's never too late to change and I'm trying. She had plenty of spunk though, and I got that from her too. In my own way and style I'm trying to do as the Old Testament tells us: honor thy mother and father. I didn't while they were here, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be proud of how I ultimately turn out if they were. So to merely want to be a 'mensch' is a noble goal I think.

I try to go through life and music making up for what I may lack in technique and polish in taste, content, quality and heart. The highest compliment I can give anyone is to say 'You're a class act'. As you'd imagine then, it warms my heart if and when it's said of or to me.

And the polish and chops can be had if you really want them. Just practice, practice, practice. 'How do you get to Carnegie Hall'---we all know that one.

We're here for like half a minute. So what should we be remembered for? Our 'great achievements'? Let me know when to start laughing. The only thing anyone will remember about any of us except the most famous---and none of us here can claim to be that---is the way we treated them. And even for self-absorbed artists that will also out (or not) in our work. So when someone say that singer or player X has 'great humanity' in his work he probably does. If they say 'He's great, but leaves me cold' you can bet there's some truth in that. There's also a reason cliches become cliches. I just want to play and live with heart and compassion and have them show---rather than show how 'hip' I take myself to be. Remember that Tower of Power song 'What is Hip'?

The last line is 'What is hip today may become cliche'.

And now it's really time for bed. G'night, cats...
    Everything is OK, Joel. I had to speak out as well. Letting off steam cannot only help prevent cancer, but also depression. Someone once told me that depression is suppressed aggression, the anger etc. you swallow instead of letting it out. I myself have decided to approach music with a professional attitude but not to depend on it financially.

Being a mensch (another German word in Yiddish, Mensch means human being) is the most important aim of all (much more important than music or anything). Or as the great George Gurdijeff put it: "becoming a human being that deserves to be called a human being". I sometimes surprise people that ask me for my profession: "I am a Mensch or at least I am trying to be."

All the best
    Bop Head

PS: I know that Tower Of Power song. I worked for them once (lighting) - it was a great concert.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Someone once told me that depression is suppressed aggression, the anger etc. you swallow instead of letting it out,,,.
    That may be true, but I believe there's more still to it. I'm no doctor (though maybe we all are, music truly being a healing force) but I have a theory about depression in people with high IQs or with 'fast brains' or both. I've run this by mental health pros I know, and they seem to agree I'm onto something:

Depression in certain people is a 'failsafe' mechanism which shuts the brain mostly down when whatever other part regulates energy conservation there when the jets burn too strong and especially so fast that there's real danger of burnout or even permanent damage (like a stroke) looming large. When our thoughts and ideas are churning so fast we can hardly keep up it can be mania. I call it 'fast brain syndrome' (and sometimes 'Fass brain syndrome, ha ha). The danger of crashing physically, mentally or both becomes real and present. So that other part up there sort of says 'Dude, you're grounded', and literally takes you 'out of service'. You function, but at a low level. You stop enjoying things and withdraw from socialization. People wonder where the hell you've disappear to. You've disappeared to a safe, non-pulsating, warm zone of vegging out, reading, crossword puzzles---maybe a psych ward (which only dopes a person up then releases him early as possible so as to make money off the insurance of the next poor unfortunate). So depression does have an important function. Think of it as like when you put a smartphone on 'low power mode' to conserve the battery.

But then the depression takes on a life of its own---and that's when another kind of danger looms: the depressive is self-isolating, not exercising and now at risk of serious illness. This happened to me last year, when a nearly 2-year depression kept snaking along, culminating in real illness. I had been withdrawn, functioning on autopilot on my teaching job and hospital playing gig. I spoke to no friends and was drug that I had to go in and do those things at all when I could stay home snug in the cocoon. But I had bills to pay so I had to at least marginally function. As I stated a few posts ago, the illness turned out to be my best friend b/c after my tests were mostly negative and a TURP surgery dramatically improved my quality of life I decided to take life by the horns and really live. I formulated plans like those I've enumerated on this site, joined a gym, composed again, worked on getting my chops back and now that they've come back I'm making a big push to get some recognition and $ for my years of work and gifts. I'm looking for that special lady and dressing the part. Only now I finally have some wisdom, and that voice in my head whispers 'Pace yourself. Or else!). So I do, and things are really coming together. My plans are slowly becoming realities.

Will I succumb to the Black Dog again? It is within the realm of possibilities given my history and that of my family's. But these days I keep it moving, staying busy as hell and engaging my brain in positive ways. Let Fido try to catch me on the fly. Won't be that easy...
    Last edited by joelf; 01-13-2024 at 08:34 AM.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Honestly brother, just thought you were looking for feedback here on whether or not you could even access the video and recording/visual quality...

I left the actual comments on FB..I liked 'em, and I'm still excited about the YouTube channel. Facebook is kind of a cesspool.

I should also mention that after I saw this I checked your FB and the algorithm didn't put even half the video you've posted in my feed...I thought you had just posted this and the at 17!

I
    All good. I never was mad at you. Why would I be? #1. you're one of my fave players here---more musical and more to my taste than a lot of the supposedly 'hip' ones (read: over-complicated and not all that swinging, to my ears anyway) or those claiming to be pros, but you can tell just from their posts or comments they are anything but. #2. and this is selfish, but WTF: You (and Lawson-Stone too, maybe 1 other I can't recall) but you especially have supported me right down the line. You bought my CDs and absolutely hear what I'm trying to do b/c your ears are big enough to hear what anyone's saying. You didn't even object back in the day when 'fasstrack' was being such a prick.

I just felt no one was commenting on the music, just the other stuff, and I guess it hurt a bit. These solo performances are sort of the summation of a lifetime of work and thought about these songs that are beloved to me. We're all sensitive souls and more than a little nutso. And I don't feel my ass oughtta be kissed on GP. I have to earn that respect, and fine by me.

Anyway, it done blew over and I'll put up more stuff. I was thinking a Legrand medley next---maybe Windmills of Your Mind, What Are You Doing (Undressing my Wife, ha ha some joke), You Must Believe in Spring and definitely Once Upon a Summertime. I play all those pretty often and can deal them off w/o too much taxing effort. How Do You Keep...is harder to memorize, but I did an arrangement (in D) and can use the sheet as a cheat sheet...

User Info Menu

It's cool you played that Carole King tune. She wrote some great tunes that can be forgotten as early 70s light soft rock. You kept the rhythmic things happening from the original. A tune isn't just a collection of chords to then reharmonize, it has other elements, and you kept those going throughout.
    The first tune I had never I heard before. It's not in any of my real books, but I found it in a Hal Leonard real book. Thanks for bring that to my attention.
    I'm looking forward to Windmills of Your Mind. That's a cool tune too, that I only really know from the movie (Thomas Crown Affair is it?)

Your link as it showed up on my feed just said "Log Into Facebook | Facebook" So just another vote for putting the stuff up on youtube, as it will be more accessible.
    Sometimes it takes me a while to get around to listening to what people post. But I try to listen to everything. That's mainly why I'm here: for the music. This site is special for this weird niche of jazz played on guitar that we're all into.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    It's cool you played that Carole King tune. She wrote some great tunes that can be forgotten as early 70s light soft rock. You kept the rhythmic things happening from the original. A tune isn't just a collection of chords to then reharmonize, it has other elements, and you kept those going throughout.
    The first tune I had never I heard before. It's not in any of my real books, but I found it in a Hal Leonard real book. Thanks for bring that to my attention.
    I'm looking forward to Windmills of Your Mind. That's a cool tune too, that I only really know from the movie (Thomas Crown Affair is it?)

Your link as it showed up on my feed just said "Log Into Facebook | Facebook" So just another vote for putting the stuff up on youtube, as it will be more accessible.
    Sometimes it takes me a while to get around to listening to what people post. But I try to listen to everything. That's mainly why I'm here: for the music. This site is special for this weird niche of jazz played on guitar that we're all into.
    I really appreciate that---all of it!

Yeah, I hear you. A good song doesn't need any help from me. I just present it as is. I mean it's gonna have a jazz feel cuz I'm a jazz player, with an archtop and a single-coil pickup.

Some songs I don't even want to blow on, period. They're perfect and play themselves. Like Lush Life: maybe a cadenza at the end and shut the hell up. Or the next one I'll put up on FB: Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams. After hearing the great Abbey Lincoln sing it I can only hope to deliver it with half the passion and style that she invested in her recording (You Gotta Pay the Band). Still, I'll do it cuz it's a wonderful tune, melody, changes, lyric. (In fact I must dig it, since I already recorded it, on Melody Messenger. In D, and now I think C is better.) Anyway, I'm tired so look for that one next.

And thank you again. Your comments warm the cockles...

Edit: Yes, the Thomas Crown Affair, starring Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway. Good flick, about a jewel heist. And they copped the composing services of no less than Michel Legrand for the theme song.

Coulda done worse!

Edit: Too Late Now I 1st heard played by the Wes Montgomery Trio on one of those early Riversides. Ahmad Jamal also recorded it distinctly...
    Last edited by joelf; 01-15-2024 at 07:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Joelf... vid was cool, thanks. I gots to admit.... I loved watching you more than the music, LOL Don't get me wrong... playing and arrangement was there... but your expressions were way better.

And congrads for getting gig..... I love old dudes.. ps I'm old

User Info Menu

Dug your playing! Looks like a Guild A150?

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Dug your playing! Looks like a Guild A150?
    '50s SS Stewart, and a peach. Just out of the shop. He put in that DeArmond and 2 small tone and volume pots on the side of the pick guard---like a Johnny Smith, I think.

Thanks for listening and the props. Appreciated...