The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Really nice Sir!

User Info Menu

What a sound!

User Info Menu

Aside from the great playing and sound (no surprise there!) your camera work and video editing are really excellent and frame the playing so beautifully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Aside from the great playing and sound (no surprise there!) your camera work and video editing are really excellent and frame the playing so beautifully.
    Thanks for mentioning the video work, my new found hobby in the last couple of years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    Thanks for mentioning the video work, my new found hobby in the last couple of years.
    i concur that the video production is really great. If I had to guess, it's a single take with at least three cameras. Do you have some way of starting the cameras from one place, because I could imagine how much there is to deal with.

It's a lot of different hats to wear. You have to think about getting good footage, good audio, and then you have to relax enough to get into the music making zone.

It is a single take, though, or at least it comes across that way. Which to me is important that there's no post production trickery to cover any flubbed notes. It's a performance, after all. I enjoy watching each one that you post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    i concur that the video production is really great. If I had to guess, it's a single take with at least three cameras. Do you have some way of starting the cameras from one place, because I could imagine how much there is to deal with.

It's a lot of different hats to wear. You have to think about getting good footage, good audio, and then you have to relax enough to get into the music making zone.

It is a single take, though, or at least it comes across that way. Which to me is important that there's no post production trickery to cover any flubbed notes. It's a performance, after all. I enjoy watching each one that you post.
    Thanks so much for being interested! You’re right that all performances are single takes unedited start to finish. My setup does have remote controls so I don’t need to get up to start and stop things once I’m seated.

About ten years ago I was doing an audio-only solo album and I found myself completely lost in the maze of seemingly endless options for editing, punching in, splicing from multiple takes etc. it was like every single audio scrap had potential and would spend hours cobbling only to find an end result full of lifeless perfection.

When I started doing iPhone videos for the Facebook group “Jam of the Week” I found freedom from the perfection trap and just put it out as it happened. Removing the option to edit recentered my focus of recording toward simply capturing a live experience and that’s what I do to this day. I run three cameras along with audio on a DAW- the only edit is to choose a take to use or do all of it over till I like one.

User Info Menu

I love the way you capture the visual and sonic essence of space. It's as if the music and the guitar accentuate the silence and make each sound so thoughtful and memorable.
    Thanks for posting this. I can feel your playing evolving into the sound of this guitar; it brings out something different in you and something new in the tune. The unique size of that guitar gives a clarity and balance of range not found or heard in a larger box. It's intimate and has a chamber music feel to it; not bass dominated. I'd think that what you hear is immediate and each note gives you something to work with.
    My experience with the break in of a solid top guitar is the bass is going to continue to come up for a year of steady playing. Tell me if you feel that.
    You don't have a side upper bout port on that, do you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I love the way you capture the visual and sonic essence of space. It's as if the music and the guitar accentuate the silence and make each sound so thoughtful and memorable.
    Thanks for posting this. I can feel your playing evolving into the sound of this guitar; it brings out something different in you and something new in the tune. The unique size of that guitar gives a clarity and balance of range not found or heard in a larger box. It's intimate and has a chamber music feel to it; not bass dominated. I'd think that what you hear is immediate and each note gives you something to work with.
    My experience with the break in of a solid top guitar is the bass is going to continue to come up for a year of steady playing. Tell me if you feel that.
    You don't have a side upper bout port on that, do you?
    For sure I’m getting to know this instrument and adjusting my playing to how it’s responding. Glad to hear that these changes come across favorably, though you’re probably among the very few folks who detect these relatively minute movements and see them as evolution within a context of how music making actually occurs. We absolutely respond to our instruments, so choosing them is such an important choice. (No side port, but the location of the soundhole up near my ears does the job perfectly)