The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    I've recorded myself quite a few times recently playing this, but no attempts have been IMO quite as good as this, which I recorded in 2020 (and even this isn't that good lol).

you know I agree with Ragman. This is sounding much more rhythmically confident. What have you been working on out of curiosity?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    you know I agree with Ragman. This is sounding much more rhythmically confident. What have you been working on out of curiosity?
    Thanks very much, Christian.

Things I've been working on: that perennial weakness of mine, picking technique. Also, started playing through tunes with chords, but moving the root note up a step or half on each chord. I feel I ought to put more time into writing, practising and varying licks. But I have been learning a few choruses that I've written over standards. Although it's easy to waste time noodling over backing tracks for half an hour or more, I try not to do that these days and instead compose lines, or learn something I've composed.

Yeah, that old Billie's Bounce recording wasn't bad in a way that I regard as a bit of a fluke haha. But the problem with my recent attempts wasn't so much that they lacked rhythmical confidence, more that I lack vocab and therefore fluency. The first thing I ever transcribed was Miles's solo on 'Straight No Chaser' from the Newport 58 record - I think I ought to take another look at it and use some of it. Blues is really fundamental...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    Thanks very much, Christian.

Things I've been working on: that perennial weakness of mine, picking technique. Also, started playing through tunes with chords, but moving the root note up a step or half on each chord. I feel I ought to put more time into writing, practising and varying licks. But I have been learning a few choruses that I've written over standards. Although it's easy to waste time noodling over backing tracks for half an hour or more, I try not to do that these days and instead compose lines, or learn something I've composed.

Yeah, that old Billie's Bounce recording wasn't bad in a way that I regard as a bit of a fluke haha. But the problem with my recent attempts wasn't so much that they lacked rhythmical confidence, more that I lack vocab and therefore fluency. The first thing I ever transcribed was Miles's solo on 'Straight No Chaser' from the Newport 58 record - I think I ought to take another look at it and use some of it. Blues is really fundamental...
    I’d be interested to know how it goes!

User Info Menu

This one's a bit more bebop than my first pass. I was working on a few new substitutions for the blues today and tossed out this bit of mindless blowing -

[edit] After listening to this and my first pass a few times, it’s clear that the choice of backing track is critical, as is knowing it well. The piano fills on this one really get in the way of soloing, and I tried even harder on the second one after my first take made me realize how poor my choice was.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 01-09-2024 at 11:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Yep. Against only bass you can imply subs tho I find.

User Info Menu

Hi some nice versions on this thread. I have decided to ditch backing tracks this year and just work on solo guitar, playing everything in my repertoire in this way, sorry for the lots of reverb im not too good at getting a decent sound with my laptop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Heybopper
    Hi some nice versions on this thread. I have decided to ditch backing tracks this year and just work on solo guitar, playing everything in my repertoire in this way, sorry for the lots of reverb im not too good at getting a decent sound with my laptop.
    You have a great touch that's light and precise! I do agree with your observation - it's kinda sorta drenched in reverb. But that's just a technical issue that doesn't detract at all from your playing.

User Info Menu

I think I got the head down, kind of. Hard to hear with Miles and Parker playing harmony.

https://youtu.be/oyGHIDv1R1E?si=b74xiogFS7UZamyV

User Info Menu

Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 02-03-2024 at 05:00 AM.

User Info Menu

I really wanted to take a shot at this one so here it is, clams and all. I like to post something every so often, so on the odd occasion that I make any comments, people will know the perspective from which the comments are coming.

User Info Menu

That’s nice. A little Sunnymoon in the middle too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    That’s nice. A little Sunnymoon in the middle too.
    Thanks! The Sunnymoon just happened. I was planning to use minor pentatonic on 1 chorus, and that is what came out. I found this tune quite difficult for some reason, but I wanted to get that head under my fingers.

User Info Menu

It’s a good one to know. I’ve been running it most days since I learned it.

User Info Menu

… and Bessie’s Blues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    I really wanted to take a shot at this one...
    That was quite good, not bad at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    … and Bessie’s Blues.
    Yes, good spot! It was at the beginning of the second solo chorus. Also a bit of Blue Monk later on in the solo, but I effed it up with a bum note.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    That was quite good, not bad at all.
    Thanks ragman. I have a tendency to over refine things to avoid mistakes and it ends up sounding contrived. I think this tempo forced me out of that. I accepted some errors in order to get something a little more interesting and less "square."

User Info Menu

Thanks ragman. I have a tendency to over refine things to avoid mistakes and it ends up sounding contrived. I think this tempo forced me out of that. I accepted some errors in order to get something a little more interesting and less "square."
    And I'm very glad you did :-)

User Info Menu

Hi !

That was 10 years ago !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Hi !

That was 10 years ago !
    Nice job. Do you want to try one on guitar?

(I used to play in a 4 piece band with a vocalist. Drums, bass, me on guitar, and an alto player. The alto player used to kick my ass on every solo! I had to start requesting that I go first because of the come down in energy in the room if I had to follow the horn. LOL)

User Info Menu

Nice job. Do you want to try one on guitar?

(I used to play in a 4 piece band with a vocalist. Drums, bass, me on guitar, and an alto player. The alto player used to kick my ass on every solo! I had to start requesting that I go first because of the come down in energy in the room if I had to follow the horn. LOL)
    I never tried it on guitar because I had never been able to play it.
    Maybe it's better now.
    When I feel like playing the guitar I think I will do it.
    About the saxophone, it's really true.
    My saxophone usually made the illusion against guitarists but never against good saxophonists and trumpeters.