The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 103

User Info Menu

Hey, calling yourself Maestro is a helluva way to go... or not go...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Jeff -

Well done. That's how I started doing it... not very successfully. Tricky little thing, innit? But you got there.

Have a good Xmas? I cooked it, like I do most years, and it was more or less edible. Did you cook yours?
    It was very nice, Christmas day is always small at my house, so while I do the cooking it isn't insanity. We had the usual Christmas dinner stuff on the Eve, everybody bringing dishes to divide up the work, so on the day we just went Italian, and actually almost vegetarian- I made a nice marinara and we had manicotti, garlic parm green beans, roasted potatoes with truffle oil and a Caesar salad (the anchovy killed the vegetarian meal)

A few bottles of wine were opened and I settled in for a long winter's nap.

When I woke up, some asshole had made a mess of the kitchen and left a sink full of dishes

User Info Menu

Tricky little thing, innit?
    It is, actually, even though it sits nice on guitar...the tough part is her guitar voicings on the original are lovely, with the guitar part often supplying a high harmony to the vocals. But if you're going to play it as a solo piece, you can't really have both...

I'm going to listen to yours now, what did you reharmonize?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    It was very nice, Christmas day is always small at my house, so while I do the cooking it isn't insanity. We had the usual Christmas dinner stuff on the Eve, everybody bringing dishes to divide up the work, so on the day we just went Italian, and actually almost vegetarian- I made a nice marinara and we had manicotti, garlic parm green beans, roasted potatoes with truffle oil and a Caesar salad (the anchovy killed the vegetarian meal)

A few bottles of wine were opened and I settled in for a long winter's nap.

When I woke up, some asshole had made a mess of the kitchen and left a sink full of dishes
    Sounds idyllic. We're supposed to have ours sometime on Xmas Day. The gf's traditional so it was turkey + everything you can think of. It was supermarket-bought so it was in the freezer. Everything had to be timed - in/out of the oven. But it's not bad if you're organised.

Yours sounds like a much better idea. One year all my family had flu so I had beans on toast, went for a walk, read my book, and slept. It was great :-)

User Info Menu

what did you reharmonize?
    CM7 - C69 - Dm7 - %
    G7sus - G7b9 - CM7 - C69
    CM7 - C69 - Dm7 - %
    G7sus - G7b9 - CM7 - B7b-5/Bb7

EbM7 - Eb69 - Dm7 - Db7-5
    Cm7 - Ab13 - Cm7 - Ab13
    AbM7#11 - G7b9 - Cm7 - Fm7
    Dm7 - % - G7sus - G7b9

joelf Guest
    Bill Evans's version???

Where?
    The original version was with Toots Thielmans. You can find it on youtube. For now, cuz I'm tired:

joelf Guest
    Started sketching out. Sits nicely on guitar, not really surprising. Its a lovely melody...I think it works instrumentally, but im also singing it in my head, so...

Very nice, Jeff. Very.

You've always had a pared down purity I really enjoy hearing. No filigree, none needed. 'Just the facts, ma'am'. That Martin sounds aces, too. I use a Seymour Duncan pickup with mine, but if I could get away with it I'd 'ride bareback'.

When I figure out how to with this damn complicated iPhone I'll post my version. It's a bit slower, with some darker chords from my Yiddishe soul and an ostinato bass. It's in E with the bridge in G.

In the meantime, once my tired ass gets a little rest I'll post the (yes, handwritten) arrangement for guitar and bass that I'm hoping to record with the redoubtable Richard Hill...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Very nice, Jeff. Very.

You've always had a pared down purity I really enjoy hearing. No filigree, none needed. 'Just the facts, ma'am'. That Martin sounds aces, too. I use a Seymour Duncan pickup with mine, but if I could get away with it I'd 'ride bareback'.

When I figure out how to with this damn complicated iPhone I'll post my version. It's a bit slower, with some darker chords from my Yiddishe soul and an ostinato bass. It's in E with the bridge in G.

In the meantime, once my tired ass gets a little rest I'll post the (yes, handwritten) arrangement for guitar and bass that I'm hoping to record with the redoubtable Richard Hill...
    Thanks! I like to always play tge song first...im not good enough for too much fancy shit, but if a song is good in the first place, its good enough.

I love my Martin, but this is actually a cheap Yamaha nylon string...its a pretty cool guitar, a hybrid of sorts, 14 frets, narrower neck, decent electronics, but a shallower body that cuts into the acoustic output...im actually about to upgrade to a Yamaha nylon thats a bit more traditional...but I won't be getting rid of this one...

User Info Menu

The original version was with Toots Thielmans. You can find it on youtube. For now, cuz I'm tired:

Sorry, I found that before, but I thought you meant At Seventeen :-)

User Info Menu

ahhh..

YouTube says this is 9 years ago..

joelf Guest
    T I'm not good enough for too much fancy shit.
    Au contraire. You're too good for fancy shit.

And if you ever change I may have to book an Amtrak to the midwest and kick your ass...

User Info Menu

CM7 - C69 - Dm7 - %
    G7sus - G7b9 - CM7 - C69
    CM7 - C69 - Dm7 - %
    G7sus - G7b9 - CM7 - B7b-5/Bb7

EbM7 - Eb69 - Dm7 - Db7-5
    Cm7 - Ab13 - Cm7 - Ab13
    AbM7#11 - G7b9 - Cm7 - Fm7
    Dm7 - % - G7sus - G7b9
    Ah, I see...I wouldn't call that so much of a reharm as just zhuzhing up the chords a little. Well, save for those Ab13's subbing for F minors in the bridge which im not sure about...Ab7b5 maybe? Thinking of the melody...

At any rate, it sounded nice rag...definitely one to keep around and get to know.

User Info Menu

Au contraire. You're too good for fancy shit.

And if you ever change I may have to book an Amtrak to the midwest and kick your ass...
    Well thank ya. It'd be well deserved. I've made what little name I've got on being tasteful and not intrusive. That's what I like to be, and I like to work at it.

joelf Guest
    I've made what little name I've got on being tasteful and not intrusive.
    Tasteful and not intrusive. Sounds like a law firm---run by goyem...

User Info Menu

Tasteful and not intrusive. Sounds like a law firm---run by goyem...
    Better than Dewey, Cheatham and Howe!

joelf Guest
    So this is a handwritten chart. Note: this is not for solo guitar, but arranged for guitar/bass duo for an upcoming record date. I'll also make a clean copy for full band.

I changed a few of Ian's original notes and chords, added a bass ostinato and hits. And even after simplifying it it looks busier than it will sound b/c of having to fit the details into small 10-stave paper space. If anyone desires printing it out I recommend magnifying it to maybe 105-110%.

I used pretty skeletal harmony for openness. Some of the blowing is on the vamps.

(Not sure how to have the thing appear on the post w/o a link to the file. If anyone knows how do jump in)...

Edit: Also, p. friggin' 2 is f&&*$g upside down, and I have no clue how to correct it.

*Edit: Found a few booboos. 4th file is correct...

Last edited by joelf; 12-27-2023 at 08:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm late to the party, but here's Charlie Byrd's version:

And a version by one of my favorite players, Duke Levine:

User Info Menu

Ah, I see...I wouldn't call that so much of a reharm as just zhuzhing up the chords a little. Well, save for those Ab13's subbing for F minors in the bridge which im not sure about...Ab7b5 maybe? Thinking of the melody...

At any rate, it sounded nice rag...definitely one to keep around and get to know.
    Actually I just dashed it off really... but I have to ask you about reharm. I thought just changing some of the chords is a reharm. Or does it mean all the chords? How do you define it? I thought I had reharmed it!

The Ab13's were just a different flavor of Fm, with the Ab in the bass. Also they give a nice contrast to when the actual Fm comes in. You can hear it, it makes it a much stronger sound.

I hear what you say about the Ab7b5's but it might sound too samey with the AbM7#11 (AbM7b5) directly following it.

It depended when and what mood I was in when I was listening to it. Sometimes I thought the chromatic subs sounded lame, too obvious and unnecessary, just clever devices. Other times I thought they were okay. I think they went better with the soloing than the melody.

But thanks for your thoughts. I'm working on a deep and meaningful version at the mo. No subs this time and folksy-type backing in G, capo 5. It'll probably be quite nice.

Tell me about the reharm thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    I'm late to the party, but here's Charlie Byrd's version.

And a version by one of my favorite players, Duke Levine
    Thanks for those.

I'd searched through YouTube looking for different versions and never saw them! Makes you wonder what else is lurking there

User Info Menu

Here's a more introspective version...

joelf Guest
    So this is a handwritten chart. Note: this is not for solo guitar, but arranged for guitar/bass duo for an upcoming record date. I'll also make a clean copy for full band.

I changed a few of Ian's original notes and chords, added a bass ostinato and hits. And even after simplifying it it looks busier than it will sound b/c of having to fit the details into small 10-stave paper space. If anyone desires printing it out I recommend magnifying it to maybe 105-110%.

I used pretty skeletal harmony for openness. Some of the blowing is on the vamps.

(Not sure how to have the thing appear on the post w/o a link to the file. If anyone knows how do jump in)...

Edit: Also, p. friggin' 2 is f&&*$g upside down, and I have no clue how to correct it.

*Edit: Found a few booboos. 4th file is correct...

Check this out Have to scroll up, can't include the file in a reply. I think you might like it. (4th download is the final cut)...

User Info Menu

I think it looks cool Joel...will need to investigate on an actual computer...on my phone I can only read about two bars at a time!

How would you voice those E2 and Emaj7#5 chords?

I like the bass ostinato in a similar melodic rhythm to the opening vocal line...

joelf Guest
    How would you voice those E2 and Emaj7#5 chords?
    I actually changed the EMaj7 #5 to another configuration, E2 #5 (that's why I say the 4th file is final. Sorry for any confusion, but I couldn't delete the 1st 3).

The idea is to keep the harmony to bare essentials so there are melodic soloing options.Plus it's a brooding, even sad song, so darker colors work for an instrumental. I tried to bring out what she was saying w/o the lyric.

E2=B, E, F#---top 3 strings.
    E2# 5=E, C, F#---A string, 7th fret, D string, 10th, B string, 7th.

The wackiest one of the bunch: B7b9 sus add 3. I may have even made it up---I'm nuts enough. That one is: I try to get B on the bottom with my right hand sneaking in, 7th fret of Low E. The rest: E, A, C, D#---7th fret of A string, 7th of D, 5th of G, 4th of B. (With bass I needn't worry about the low B).

As Phil Woods would say 'very Jewish of me'...

User Info Menu

Wow, she's good! Never even heard of her:

She's Canadian Pop Royalty, that's why you haven't heard of her

User Info Menu

It's easier to leave it as it is. The link opens a pdf whose view can then be changed to how the viewer wants it, including rotation, see below.

Open the pdf and go right to the end of the icons. You'll see two chevrons pointing right. Passing the mouse over it reveals it as the Tools button. Click on that and you'll see the rotate options. Et voila.

Attachment 107415
    Last edited by ragman1; 12-28-2023 at 07:38 PM.