The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My second sound check with this brand-new instrument by Tom Ribbecke (15" Compliant Rim Time Machine). I'm using more of the acoustic sound in the mix this time to show off more of it's full voice. I'm still learning how to control the sound of this innovative work of Luthiery art, so pardon my clams This tune, appropriate for the moment, is "I've Got the World on a String"

The scale on this guitar is 24.75 vs the 25” I’ve been used to. The action is lower the fret wires slightly narrower. It’s easier to play- maybe too easy so I’m learning to touch it just right- nothing a couple hundred hours won’t solve

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Clams? Maybe it's been so long since you were a shitty guitar player you can't really remember what those sound like? If I wasn't so shy I'd post some playing to remind you :-)

Ease of play and comfort is good. This time machine should see you well into your dotage. Sounds as good as anything I've heard you play over on this end!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Clams? Maybe it's been so long since you were a shitty guitar player you can't really remember what those sound like? If I wasn't so shy I'd post some playing to remind you :-)

Ease of play and comfort is good. This time machine should see you well into your dotage. Sounds as good as anything I've heard you play over on this end!
    you’re to kind man! The guitar is so hi-fi there’s just no place to hide!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous work, Mark, + guitar. What is the nut width? Tnx for sharing your 2nd 'test drive'.

User Info Menu

Fantastic! I would love to visit TR in Sonoma and see what he thinks of my 8 string guitars.

I’ve learned this song, recently. It’s a great tune. You really go for it, here. As always.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stringmann
    Gorgeous work, Mark, + guitar. What is the nut width? Tnx for sharing your 2nd 'test drive'.
    I don’t know I guess I could get out a ruler and see

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    I don’t know I guess I could get out a ruler and see
    oh no, not trying to create work for you. I prefer a 1 3/4 nut, a bit wider, + i wondered if you preferred a wider neck for your wonderful articulation. But i guess it is 1 11/16 unless you or luthier did otherwise?

User Info Menu

It is interesting to try to tease out the differences in tone between this and the Halfling that might be due to different acoustic resonance vs. different pickups (or both). And of course the newness of an instrument that hasn't fully opened up yet. I hear the Halfling as plummy with a slowish note bloom, whereas this seems more immediate and... crisper?

At my house, I get some of the same difference comparing my 17" archtop with my GB10 (both with JS style pickups). But the instruments really have very different voices (carved versus laminate top, for one thing, as well as the difference in body size, and the unique GB pickups). Your two Ribbecke guitars sound like they're relatives of each other.

I also hear the characteristic attack and clarity of the KA 12 pole floater in these first two videos; is the pickup on the Halfling a KA mini humbucker floater?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    It is interesting to try to tease out the differences in tone between this and the Halfling that might be due to different acoustic resonance vs. different pickups (or both). And of course the newness of an instrument that hasn't fully opened up yet. I hear the Halfling as plummy with a slowish note bloom, whereas this seems more immediate and... crisper?

At my house, I get some of the same difference comparing my 17" archtop with my GB10 (both with JS style pickups). But the instruments really have very different voices (carved versus laminate top, for one thing, as well as the difference in body size, and the unique GB pickups). Your two Ribbecke guitars sound like they're relatives of each other.

I also hear the characteristic attack and clarity of the KA 12 pole floater in these first two videos; is the pickup on the Halfling a KA mini humbucker floater?
    sorry for the delayed response. The Halfling has a KA floater but it’s not a mini exactly. It’s like in between? Anyway- the guitars have very different voices acoustically as well as amped so it’s more about the design than anything. My poor Halfling is being neglected-haven’t touched it once since the new one arrived but at least it’s still out in the stand. My Testadura (also Ribbecke is now in the closet)