The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    joelf Guest
    This is around the tempo I would take it at, or even slower.

Johnny deserves his props, too---one of the genuine stylists...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love it.

Johnny's "Open Fire, Two Guitars" is easily in my top 10 favorite records of all time.

joelf Guest
    Mathis sings it in E. I play it in F, which may be a bit high for solo guitar---cool for a group rendition though. (I play too many songs in F anyway, probably b/c that's often my vocal key). Solo guitar to me lays well in sharp keys like A, where you can pedal. I probably play in that key too much too. Gotta put new water on the flowers sometimes.

I had a great teacher once, John Foca. He was a pianist who was a jazz accordion whiz as a teen/20-something, then became a club date keyboardist with 'The Make-Believes'. Brooklyn boy. He's the guy I credit for my love for and knowledge of so many standard tunes. He knew 'em all! Imagine being 21 like me then, and being exposed to even lesser-known gems like Cole Porter's Ace in the Hole. He made sure we became that kind of musician, and succeeded.

I clearly remember John introducing me and the other 'delinquents' that knocked on his door at midnight---after he'd taught for 8 hours---to this song. We'd talk music and life and bust balls. He was a great man. We'd be trying to figure 'it' out, and ask him every night 'What's the answer'. His reply invariably was 'You have to give of yourself'.

I tell you, I had some yellow days, per this lyric, myself...