The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Unlike some songs that I've been playing for decades, here's one that I added only two days ago at the request of a friend. It's called "Once Upon a Time by Charles Strouse from the 1962 musical "All American"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    Unlike some songs that I've been playing for decades, here's one that I added only two days ago at the request of a friend. It's called "Once Upon a Time" by Charles Strouse from the 1962 musical "All American"
    Beautifully played Mark. It is one of my favorites. I have the 45rpm record by Tony Bennett. I heard that Tony thought this was was going to be the hit song (the "A" side). On the "B" side was "I Left My Heart In San Francisco". Ray Bolger (scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz) sang it in the 1962 production. Cheers, Joe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Beautifully played Mark. It is one of my favorites. I have the 45rpm record by Tony Bennett. I heard that Tony thought this was was going to be the hit song (the "A" side). On the "B" side was "I Left My Heart In San Francisco". Ray Bolger (scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz) sang it in the 1962 production. Cheers, Joe

wow 45’s!!! I barely remember that long ago! Interesting background details, thanks for sharing.

joelf Guest
    Very nice work, Mark. Quite thoughtful and imaginative, and nice pacing/spacing. Congrats on a job well done.

Just for fun here, I did this with it once (on Melody Messenger), more arranged than yours. I love the song too:

Last edited by joelf; 11-19-2023 at 05:16 PM.

joelf Guest
    wow 45’s!!! I barely remember that long ago! Interesting background details, thanks for sharing.
    Yes!

And Sinatra's (with a Gordon Jenkins chart):

User Info Menu

Brings back memories... Thanks again for the song selection.

Once Upon a Time-once-upon-time-45-png

User Info Menu

Nice, Mark, as always. I must spent an hour or so on Youtube watching your videos last night and enjoyed them all. I am curious- is Wyble (or Sid Jacobs) an influence of yours? I hear some similarities with the two line approach Wyble developed. You have such a harmonically spacious approach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Nice, Mark, as always. I must spent an hour or so on Youtube watching your videos last night and enjoyed them all. I am curious- is Wyble (or Sid Jacobs) an influence of yours? I hear some similarities with the two line approach Wyble developed. You have such a harmonically spacious approach.
    Cuna, thanks very much for listening and your kind words. I only became aware of Wyble and Sid (by extension) relatively recently in the the last few years. My multi line interest and approach was influenced by Hall and Breau most of all, but many others are in there too.
    Last edited by Mark Kleinhaut; 11-26-2023 at 06:30 PM.