The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 76

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    The version referenced in this post is most definitely not the Blitzstein version, which was sanitized for American audiences, and is the version Louis A. and Bobby D. used.

The 1976 Broadway version used a translation by Mannheim and Willett, which they did not want produced. Richard Foreman, who directed the production, was living with Kate Mannheim at the time, and so was able to get permission to use the libretto.
    I did not know that, I always only saw Blitzstein mentioned as translator. Thanks for pointing me to Manheim (single n BTW, other than the German city his name probably comes from), seems he translated my uncle Michael Ende's Neverending Story (never got to know him personally unfortunately) later as well, but his translator career started with Mein Kampf according to Wiki. If Hitler knew that his "work" was translated into English by a Jew?

My father's mother who died in the early 80ies was according to family anecdotes in the same circle of friends as Bert Brecht in Augsburg in her youth before WWI. According to those anecdotes she was very pretty and Brecht was in love with her then. Her brother who died in an accident at a young age married a woman who later became Michael Ende's mother-in-law. This grand-aunt of mine has a tree in the GardenOf The Righteous Among The Nations in Yad Vashem for hiding not one but two Jewish friends in her Munich flat ...
    Last edited by Bop Head; 11-03-2023 at 06:50 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In all my years of playing Mack the Knife I've found there are two types of keyboard players. In the key of C there are the ones who play on the 9th bar:
    1) Am7 for two measures, and then go to Dm7.
    2) Em7 one measure followed by Ebdim7 one bar, and then go to Dm7.

Once you know those two options, you should be able to play it in any key with any keyboard player, bass player or other chordal instrument, or even horn player.
    Jimmy Giuffre used #1 with Jim Hall in the JG trio, so I thought that was the right way to play it. I was wrong, there is the other way, too.
    Last edited by sgcim; 11-03-2023 at 11:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Absolutely. This one (in Bb) has got both!

November 2023 - Mack the Knife-mack-knife-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Absolutely. This one (in Bb) has got both!

November 2023 - Mack the Knife-mack-knife-jpg
    I'm talking about only the 9th bar, not the turnaround.

User Info Menu

So was I. You said two versions of bar 9.

There they are in Bb.

1) Gm7 for two measures, and then to Cm7.
    2) Dm7 one measure followed by Dbdim7 one bar, and then go to Cm7.

It's the same. The chords in () are not over the turnaround, they're alternate chords for bars 9 and 10.

I prefer the alternate chords, incidentally, breaks it up.

User Info Menu

That’s not where alternate chords are supposed to go.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m saying the sheet is poorly written.

User Info Menu

The whole book's like that, it's the way they do alternate chords. In any case, that variation is well-known. You can hear it in the Robbie Williams version at 0.30 and the Bobby Darin one at 0.24.

Actually sgcim already knew that variation, he brought it up. With all due respect to him, with his knowledge of it, it's quite obvious that's where those chords go. In any case, if they referred to the turnaround they wouldn't go outside the repeat line, they would go inside.

Talking about that book always writing their alternate chords in parentheses underneath, here's a good example just for fun. There are one or two of them here!

And, if I may ask, if you were writing it, where would you have put them?

November 2023 - Mack the Knife-am-jpg

User Info Menu

The whole book's like that, it's the way they do alternate chords. In any case, that variation is well-known. You can hear it in the Robbie Williams version at 0.30 and the Bobby Darin one at 0.24.

Actually sgcim already knew that variation, he brought it up. With all due respect to him, with his knowledge of it, it's quite obvious that's where those chords go. In any case, if they referred to the turnaround they wouldn't go outside the repeat line, they would go inside.

Talking about that book always writing their alternate chords in parentheses underneath, here's a good example just for fun. There are one or two of them here!

November 2023 - Mack the Knife-am-jpg
    Usually chords in jazz are written above the staff, left-aligned with the note-head they belong to; alternate chords are written in a second line above or below the main changes, optically distinct by brackets like here or in italics in print.

This fake book is handwritten on printed music paper with a fixed distance between staves which is probably why the one who wrote the music decided to write the alternate chords below the respective staff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    In all my years of playing Mack the Knife I've found there are two types of keyboard players. In the key of C there are the ones who play on the 9th bar:

Once you know those two options, you should be able to play it in any key with any keyboard player, bass player or other chordal instrument, or even horn player.
    Jimmy Giuffre used #1 with Jim Hall in the JG trio, so I thought that was the right way to play it. I was wrong, there is the other way, too.
    I was played it the second way I didn’t realise you could play it the first way haha!

now let us discuss here’s that Rainy day….

User Info Menu

Alternatively alternatively...

November 2023 - Mack the Knife-mtk-grilles-jpg

User Info Menu

Here is Sting, singing Manheim‘s lyrics. The interlude is „Die Ballade von der Unzulänglichkeit menschlichen Strebens“, also from the Threepenny Opera.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hey, let's have some fun!

User Info Menu

It’s almost like there’s more than one way to harmonise a melody or sumfink

User Info Menu

And a million ways to write them down too :-)

User Info Menu

Here's a couple if we're posting YouTubes.

I've no idea what Marianne's talking about half the time but it's sort of interesting. And then Wayne goes potty :-)

User Info Menu

If I was using the sheet to teach the song. Above the chord, like it’s done on iRealPro. Like it or not, people out there use iReal, easiest to just copy their format.

I would have left it off if it was for someone to read on a gig. Not that I don’t want people using alternative changes, I just want everyone using the same foundation.

User Info Menu

Well, I was really talking about books like the one pictured. No iRealPro in those days. Of course, if you write it yourself you can put them in anyhow you like. Or not at all, re. your point.

Have you got iRealPro? Can you take a photo of what a chart with alternate changes looks like?

User Info Menu

Of course, I thought I added that to my reply

User Info Menu

November 2023 - Mack the Knife-screenshot-2023-11-05-7-08-00-am-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    [...]The interlude is „Die Ballade von der Unzulänglichkeit menschlichen Strebens“, also from the Threepenny Opera.[...]
    "Der Mensch ist gar nicht gut
    Drum hau ihn auf den Hut.
    Hast du ihm auf dem Hut gehaun
    Dann wird er vielleicht gut.
    Denn für dieses Leben
    Ist der Mensch nicht gut genug
    Darum haut ihm eben
    Ruhig auf den Hut!"

Wow ...

User Info Menu

Allan -

Okay, just seen it, thanks. Well, nothing wrong with that but it's still all rather besides the point.

This began with the criticism of the way they were done in the book charts I posted. Personally, I think it was all very clear and completely readable. They never confused me. The only problem I had was trying them all out to see which ones worked best!

I blame technology, myself. My handwriting has seriously deteriorated. It used to be nice, clear and legible. These days all I do is type. It rewires the brain. I'm becoming ragman1.8.3.Beta. It's rather worrying :-)

User Info Menu

PS. Those Summertime changes look odd, even the non-alternative ones. What version is that? And who's George Gershwing? Is this thing reliable?

User Info Menu

PS. Those Summertime changes look odd, even the non-alternative ones. What version is that? And who's George Gershwing? Is this thing reliable?
    He’s the third Gershwing brother. If you like his stuff you’ll love Shemp Gershwing

User Info Menu

Wasn't he the guy who climbed Everest? And played jazz guitar up there?

November 2023 - Mack the Knife-z-jpg

See? Oxygen starvation. Causes a LOT of funny stuff.

User Info Menu

Oh, well, in for a penny. Here's your odd chords (actually from the MJQ, I think). I DO like the shift to Bb7, nice :-)

Sorry, we better get back to the man with the knife after this!