The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Was invited to put together a live set in January for a fundraiser at a venue I frequent, so have been looking at some possible tunes to do as solo, in a duo, or with a trio and/or possibly a quartet. Jobim’s “Look to the Sky” came to mind as a candidate. It’s one of my favorite bossa tunes. Beautiful theme and interesting changes, though not as well known as Jobim’s other tunes. My work flow to learn a new tune is to pick ten versions and listen through to get a feel for how others approach it. Below is the somewhat random list I put together. Once I internalize the theme and changes, I’ll try calling it at some jam sessions around town and maybe try it at an open mic, and then take it from there. It takes me quite a while to pull a new tune together, so if this one works out I might add it to other tunes that I already know for the set. For now, I just thought I’d share various versions for your listening pleasure.

The first is from the Jobim record, with trombone taking the head, and then two other choruses of the head with different sonorities; no ad-lib, just different timbral takes on the theme. There’s several guitar versions of different flavors, including one for solo guitar. It seems to be popular for horn players, so there’s a couple with trumpet(s) and one with clarinet. To round out the list, I added a couple of vocal renditions. But my favorite version at this point is by Emily Remler from “Firefly.”

Antonio Carlos Jobim

Hiro Kawashima, trumpet

Emily Remler, guitar (with transcription)

John McNeil and Tom Harrell, trumpet

Tatiana Ladymay Mayfield, voice

Anna Caram, voice

Allan Vache, clarinet

Maurizio Piraino, guitar

Victor Biglione, guitar

Gamela, solo guitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice. You've got to have that just-strolling-along-the-seashore feel or it's nothing

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    Was invited to put together a live set in January for a fundraiser at a venue I frequent, so have been looking at some possible tunes to do as solo, in a duo, or with a trio and/or possibly a quartet. Jobim’s “Look to the Sky” came to mind as a candidate. It’s one of my favorite bossa tunes. Beautiful theme and interesting changes, though not as well known as Jobim’s other tunes. My work flow to learn a new tune is to pick ten versions and listen through to get a feel for how others approach it. Below is the somewhat random list I put together. Once I internalize the theme and changes, I’ll try calling it at some jam sessions around town and maybe try it at an open mic, and then take it from there. It takes me quite a while to pull a new tune together, so if this one works out I might add it to other tunes that I already know for the set. For now, I just thought I’d share various versions for your listening pleasure.

The first is from the Jobim record, with trombone taking the head, and then two other choruses of the head with different sonorities; no ad-lib, just different timbral takes on the theme. There’s several guitar versions of different flavors, including one for solo guitar. It seems to be popular for horn players, so there’s a couple with trumpet(s) and one with clarinet. To round out the list, I added a couple of vocal renditions. But my favorite version at this point is by Emily Remler from “Firefly.”

Antonio Carlos Jobim

Hiro Kawashima, trumpet

Emily Remler, guitar (with transcription)

John McNeil and Tom Harrell, trumpet

Tatiana Ladymay Mayfield, voice

Anna Caram, voice

Allan Vache, clarinet

Maurizio Piraino, guitar

Victor Biglione, guitar

Gamela, solo guitar

That Tom Harrell-John McNeil rendition is a very good bet. I've had and loved that recording for many years. That was a great period for Tom, contemporaneous with his tenure with Horace Silver and so many others he made great contributions to, live and on recordings. John is a good player too, and in fine form on this. They both played flugelhorn on the track.

But I'd go with your first choice myself, Mr. Jobim himself. Always best to go to the source when learning a tune.

Good luck with your project!
    Last edited by joelf; 11-05-2023 at 11:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    But I'd go with your first choice myself, Mr. Jobim himself. Always best to go to the source when learning a tune.

Good luck with your project!
    Thank you! I’m leaning toward the Jobim one, too. I like that it’s just the theme 3 times with different timbres and touches. May try a pedal or two for that. I got a couple of months to work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Nice. You've got to have that just-strolling-along-the-seashore feel or it's nothing
    I'm no scholar of the point, but I was told that in traditional 1950s Brazilian samba music the bassist would usually play two half notes. The dotted-quarter / eighth part was commonly played on a bass drum.
    I haven't listened to all of the OPs vids but the Jobim and Gamela versions bear that out.

IME both playing bass and guitar, half note bass is a key for classic bossa nova strolling-along-the-seashore feel. Not always -- use the dotted-quarter & eighth push as needed -- but feel how the piece breathes easy when you let it.